BPlus PE4C V3/V2 discussion

useafo

Tech Inferno Fan>> June-1-2015: BPlus have released a soldered cable PE4C 3.0 with better Gen2 and even Gen3 compliance. It is recommended over any previous PE4C 2.x or 1.x that used the a socketted cable giving unreliable Gen2 compliance. See details.

Welcome to this thread. In this thread, we'll discuss about Bplus's latest eGPU adapter, PE4C V2.x. If anyone has any question, please don't hesitate to ask. I'll be glad to help you. Here's what you need to know to get started:

Product's picture

Bplus-7%20product-01.jpg:

This product supports Gen2 PCi-e speed, which means that you get about twice as fast as the Gen1. What's good thing about this is that PE4C v2.x is powered by Dell 220W AC-MK394 Adapter that's enough to run cards like GTX 680 or 760 and also remove the reason of owning a bulky and messy power supply. PE4C V2.0 has two hdmi connector for x2 link connection.This product has a big base to make it look more high quality, and it help to stabilize the adapter. Also, there is a card lock that holds the GPU from accidental card removals. Here's the product's parts to make the story short:

Bplus-6%20product.jpg

Price for each option is US$105 excluding shipping, US$134 including shipping. Please if you have PE4C V2.x, share us your experience.

Details about PE4C V1.2 instead is here: cheaper, x2 capable, flexible FCC cable but only Gen1 capable

Product History

2.1 Oct-14: increased price $90->$105. Introduced 4-pin CPU power connector and native 8-pin Dell DA-2 connector

2.0 Sep-14: initial release

• Thumbs Up 7

I recommend a slightly pricier BPlus PE4C V2.1 over any EXP GDC product as it has no Gen2 expresscard signalling issues when tested on my Dell E6440. The EXP GDC V6 does glitch occasionally with a "NVidia driver has stopped responding" with the manufacturer unwilling to supply an updated Beast product for review. I'm therefore assuming the problem hasn't been corrected.

Why US$83-shipped 0W PE4C V2.1 is better than a US$50-shipped 0W EXP GDC V6? | Why US$134-shipped 220W PE4C V2.1 is better than a US$99-shipped 220W EXP GDC V6?

Picture comparison: Download >> PE4CvsEXP <<

+ Tech Inferno Fan has found clean Gen2 signalling of the PE4C V2.1, whereas EXP GDC V6 has unreliable glitches

+ Has a PM4N socketted mPCIe option

+ BPlus have a history of delivering quality products to the DIY eGPU community.

+ Easier to purchase with quicker delivery

+ Has H1PA option -> can connect to a desktop PC to extend the slot

+ Has a x2 link option, though this is primary for users with 1st gen i-core or older systems. Intel locking down 2nd Gen i-core or newer systems to prevent that.

+ Has locking x16 slot

+ Support two delay switch (PCIe Reset Delay and CLKRUN) to avoid registration problems when booting

+ 0W BPlus offering includes the special PCIe power cable that the EXP GDC V6 0W package does not

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, I am really interested in the v2.1. If there will be an enclosure similar to the EXP GDCs ones available, then it could be the real deal, since there are less quality problems reported than in the chinese product.

Can you get ANY information about the v2.1, Tech Inferno Fan?

EDIT: Is the mod approval only for the first post or for long posts? My first (and long) post in the EXP GDC thread will get checked, but this is sended immediately. :confusion:

• 2 weeks later...

I am deciding whether or not to get a PE4C for my low power desktop setup.

Looking into the HP100C kit that comes with the desktop pcie card. I plan to have my monitor hooked up to DVI to the egpu and then via hdmi to the onboard graphics on my motherboard.

Now does anyone know if the motherboard will autodetect if the gpu is on at boot via the PE4C and automatically use that? visa versa will the comp detect the gpu is off and boot with onboard graphics?

to the OP, this is a fantastic post for a newbie like me. Laid out everything I was looking for.

I am deciding whether or not to get a PE4C for my low power desktop setup.

Looking into the HP100C kit that comes with the desktop pcie card. I plan to have my monitor hooked up to DVI to the egpu and then via hdmi to the onboard graphics on my motherboard.

Now does anyone know if the motherboard will autodetect if the gpu is on at boot via the PE4C and automatically use that? visa versa will the comp detect the gpu is off and boot with onboard graphics?

to the OP, this is a fantastic post for a newbie like me. Laid out everything I was looking for.

I do have the same plan but a whole different scenario, I will do a crossfire attempt on a mini ITX motherboard via PCIE X1 and PCIE X16 slots, who know just try and buy dude for sure it will work because the PCB is designed to fully work like an actual X16 slot that powers itself on together with thr whole system as if it was attached on by default like how the implementations are with laptops when it comes to eGPUs. Only disadvantage is the PCIe lane will be limited up to only X2 instead of full blown X16 but in AMD cards it wouldn't matter as much...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I do have the same plan but a whole different scenario, I will do a crossfire attempt on a mini ITX motherboard via PCIE X1 and PCIE X16 slots, who know just try and buy dude for sure it will work because the PCB is designed to fully work like an actual X16 slot that powers itself on together with thr whole system as if it was attached on by default like how the implementations are with laptops when it comes to eGPUs. Only disadvantage is the PCIe lane will be limited up to only X2 instead of full blown X16 but in AMD cards it wouldn't matter as much...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ask Bplus for a PE4H 2.4 and HP4A adapter.

http://www.hwtools.net/PDF/PE4H_brief_ver2.4.pdf

With those, they managed to get a HD7770 attached to a desktop pc at x4 2.0 link speed.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, Do you think that this new PE4C v2.1 is better than PE4L v2.1? Im planning to buy this with pm100c v2.1.

Also, Im using a PSU, so in getting this to work, you need to connect the 24 pin from the PSU to 24 pin of the adapter, do you still need the 8pin connector to power up a GTX 980?

or you can just power it with the 6 pin + 6 pin directly from the PSU?

I connect the 4pin CPU cable & the 24pin ATX cable to the adapter. The GPU is connected directly from the ATX PSU with the 6/8pin PCIe cables. I think this is correct the way to connect the adapter & GPU with an ATX PSU. I did it like this and it's working for me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Guys, I think the problem, " Display driver stopped working", is related to the expresscard cable when running the eGPU at Gen2 speed. If anyone is experience this, I suggest trying another Gen2/3 capable Expresscard cable.

post-29160-14494998774617_thumb.jpg

I connect the 4pin CPU cable & the 24pin ATX cable to the adapter. The GPU is connected directly from the ATX PSU with the 6/8pin PCIe cables. I think this is correct the way to connect the adapter & GPU with an ATX PSU. I did it like this and it's working for me.

OMG I'll bet this has been my problem all along with getting my Asus NVidia GeForce GTX 760 card detected. I am using the PE4C v.1.2 with PM3Nv.1.1. I got the earliest versions because everything did seem expensive and I thought they were functionally equivalent, but now I understand that the higher models have a CLKRUN delay switch, so I could avoid the hot-swap entirely. (I have a THInkpad T420 with a modified BIOS without the WL).

So far, the card has been detected about 5-10 times out of the 500,000 times it feels like I've tried to get this going. Please forgive the following display of inexperience -- but perhaps Devster and Antraz would kindly post a few close-up pics of the power connections they have going between the PSU, the adapter, and the eGPU?

The power supply I bought from a local retailer seemed to have a plug that fit the "ATX-24PIN power" socket, and also one that fit the "Floppy 4-pin" socket. So I connected those. Also, the card has an 8-pin socket, and also came with a cable that has one 8-pin socket and two 6-pin sockets. The power supply had only one of the 6pin plugs, so I plugged the 6-pin PSU plug into one of the two 6-pin sockets on the adapter cable, and plugged the 8-pin plug on that adapter cable to the 8-pin socket of the GTX 760. The second 6-pin plug of the adapter cable is not connected to anything. Is that a problem?

Finally, I realized afterwards that there seems to be **another** socket that needs power of that adapter... but there's nothing on the PSU which fits it, I believe. I have attached two pics of my adapter. the socket with no power is the one next to the switch, with four tiny holes labeled 3v, 5v, 12v, GND. Is this what you called the "4-pin CPU cable"? I will post the exact model of power-supply when I get home tonight.

In the meantime, perhaps you could post a few close-ups of the adapter all connected up, and also one showing the cabling to the GPU itself. Thanks so much

scott

post-29160-14494998774236_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13154[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]13155[/ATTACH]

OMG I'll bet this has been my problem all along with getting my Asus NVidia GeForce GTX 760 card detected. I am using the PE4C v.1.2 with PM3Nv.1.1. I got the earliest versions because everything did seem expensive and I thought they were functionally equivalent, but now I understand that the higher models have a CLKRUN delay switch, so I could avoid the hot-swap entirely. (I have a THInkpad T420 with a modified BIOS without the WL).

So far, the card has been detected about 5-10 times out of the 500,000 times it feels like I've tried to get this going. Please forgive the following display of inexperience -- but perhaps Devster and Antraz would kindly post a few close-up pics of the power connections they have going between the PSU, the adapter, and the eGPU?

The power supply I bought from a local retailer seemed to have a plug that fit the "ATX-24PIN power" socket, and also one that fit the "Floppy 4-pin" socket. So I connected those. Also, the card has an 8-pin socket, and also came with a cable that has one 8-pin socket and two 6-pin sockets. The power supply had only one of the 6pin plugs, so I plugged the 6-pin PSU plug into one of the two 6-pin sockets on the adapter cable, and plugged the 8-pin plug on that adapter cable to the 8-pin socket of the GTX 760. The second 6-pin plug of the adapter cable is not connected to anything. Is that a problem?

Finally, I realized afterwards that there seems to be **another** socket that needs power of that adapter... but there's nothing on the PSU which fits it, I believe. I have attached two pics of my adapter. the socket with no power is the one next to the switch, with four tiny holes labeled 3v, 5v, 12v, GND. Is this what you called the "4-pin CPU cable"? I will post the exact model of power-supply when I get home tonight.

In the meantime, perhaps you could post a few close-ups of the adapter all connected up, and also one showing the cabling to the GPU itself. Thanks so much

scott

PE4C 2.1 has 4 power input possibilities: (1) DC jack (2) Dell DA-2 jack (3) ATX EPS 4pin CPU connector and (4) ATX 20/24 pin systemboard connector.

This differs to your PE4C 1.2 that has only 2 power input possibilities (1) ATX 20/24 pin systemboard connector and (2) 4-pin floppy molex connector.

Incidentally, the "four tiny holes labeled 3v, 5v, 12v, GND" are test points useful to do circuit board power validity checks with a multimeter.

It is seems that I'm getting display driver has stopped error even when running at Gen1 speed. I'm starting to lose hope with this thing. I'm thinking about building a gaming PC if there is no solution. and I don't want to order another product that may have the same problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

First of all, I haven't bought anything yet, I only researched about this eGPU setup.

From what Antraz said and based on what I read, you can plug the 24pin connector from the PSU to the adapter and also, I think the "4 pin"(that you and What Antraz said) is actually the 8 pin input connector at the right side of your PE4C v1.2 because the newer version, PE4C v2.1 has it beside the 24 pin input connector.

I think that you can power your adapter with only using the 24 pin input connector from the adapter with your PSU's 24 pin cable.

You also need to fill what your GPU needs, this means that if your GPU needs two 6 pin power connectors, you need to insert two 6 pin power cables from your PSU so don't only power one socket- DO not leave one socket unconnected and unpowered.

I advice you to also provide a good power supply to power what you're GPU needs. Make sure you're dedicated 12v rail of your PSU is good enough to power you're GPU or it will cause problems.

Besides this I don't know what's the problem. Might be a faulty slot of the adapter or the mpcie slot

Finally got a pe4c! now how the heck does the dell 220 ac adapter work?

The dell adapter has 8 pins whereas the black connector on the board has a 12 pin. The dell can go in the leftmost holes but obviously leave the rest of the 4pins on the board unconnected. Is this how it should be? Am i making any sense? I assume the white clear connectors on the board is for atx psu power and i dont need that.

Assuming the card doesn't require over 200W, is the XBOX360 PSU still a viable option for powering the PE4C? Or is that an old suggestion? Is the DA-2 preferred? I know some EXP GDC people are having some trouble with the DA-2 voltage fluctuations.

Best solution is still an ATX PSU?

Hi guys !

A little question... How do you choose the external power supply for your graphic card ? Hwtools told me that I have to take their product (Dell D220P) for the PE4C, but the product is refurbished, accept only 220w (so I'm limited in my choice of graphic card) and a bit expensive. Actually I'm searching another kind of power supply, but I don't know where to search to be honnest...

Is only Dell proposing this kind of product ? Else no, which company ?

Thanks a lot,

Biker

what exactly happens to cards listed as not suitable on their site?

PE4C V2.1 (PCIe x16 Adapter)

thinking about a 7850 since my 6970 is a power hog but "Graphics level is to high, cause bandwith factor, not suitable" <--- what the heck does that mean? 6970 and 7850 have the same "level" rating of 30 on their site.

And on another note I assume if i run my 6970 with the dell 220w ill cause a fire?

Finally got a pe4c! now how the heck does the dell 220 ac adapter work?

The dell adapter has 8 pins whereas the black connector on the board has a 12 pin. The dell can go in the leftmost holes but obviously leave the rest of the 4pins on the board unconnected. Is this how it should be? Am i making any sense? I assume the white clear connectors on the board is for atx psu power and i dont need that.

From this installation guide by hwtools http://www.bplus.com.tw/PDF/PE4C%20V2.1_brief_installation.pdf

At step 4, connect the 8pin connector to the leftmost as illustrated by the picture, so you can leave the 4pin unconnected.

The cards that are not suitable, are those cards that are overkill in gaming or the cards that are too weak for gaming.

What I'm trying to tell you is that you're card will perform not as good as performing in a desktop because what you are doing is that you are making a full desktop graphics card work on a laptop and basically, the technology released by these people selling the adapters like the PE4C and EXP GDC is not nearly capable at fully making your graphics card work. PLUS, you're laptops mpcie slot and Express card is also not capable on running like a PCI 3.0 slot on a motherboard where the desktop graphics card is supposed to be. Well expect for the new technology like THUNDEBOLT 3.0!!!!!!!

In this site http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/12/15/ati-radeon-hd-6970-review/10 the 6970 can reach max load of 306watts. SO

yah, maybe. I think you'll definitely get unstable performance and lag in gaming.

- - - Updated - - -

Assuming the card doesn't require over 200W, is the XBOX360 PSU still a viable option for powering the PE4C? Or is that an old suggestion? Is the DA-2 preferred? I know some EXP GDC people are having some trouble with the DA-2 voltage fluctuations.

Best solution is still an ATX PSU?

Personally I'd go for the ATX PSU, I'm not kind of a "portable" kind of guy ^_^. Choosing the proper ATX PSU, with a little bit of money, will definitely satisfy the needs of you and your GPU. BUt if you're card doesen't require that much of power, I think you can use that kind of portable power supply. When you want to buy a powersupply, make sure it's 12V rail is good enough for GPU and also I advice you to buy a modular one so you can avoid those messy, unused cables.

What I'm trying to tell you is that you're card will perform not as good as performing in a desktop because what you are doing is that you are making a full desktop graphics card work on a laptop and basically, the technology released by these people selling the adapters like the PE4C and EXP GDC is not nearly capable at fully making your graphics card work. PLUS, you're laptops mpcie slot and Express card is also not capable on running like a PCI 3.0 slot on a motherboard where the desktop graphics card is supposed to be. Well expect for the new technology like THUNDEBOLT 3.0!!!!!!!

Well, from the websites ive read with people doing a setup like this show that cards do perform very well, of course not at their max but 1x makes relatively little difference in real world tests vs x16 which is why i decided to take the gpu out of my comp. I dont want this thing sucking wattages when all im doing is web browsing.

Well, from the websites ive read with people doing a setup like this show that cards do perform very well, of course not at their max but 1x makes relatively little difference in real world tests vs x16 which is why i decided to take the gpu out of my comp. I dont want this thing sucking wattages when all im doing is web browsing.

SORRY FOR BAD ENGLISH :)

Yes! Their cards do perform very well because mostly,The people that are doing this setup is that the CPU of their laptops are very good but the graphics card of their laptop are weak. The graphics card however will not perform and unleash it's full potential but it gives you 60%-80% of their maximum performance, especially if you have an integrated intel hd installed in your laptop ( AS WHAT Tech Inferno Fan said for compression) and you're adapter and port is capable of delivering at Gen2 or higher speeds.

The PE4C is capabale of <strike>X16</strike> x1 2.0.

It is very important to note that you must have a very strong mobile CPU to run a beast Graphics card.

If you are not using it in eGPU, just simply turn it off in laptop. (by ejecting it in devices,maybe) The graphics card(HD 6970) however will lower its power consumption when in idle for 141watts LOL.