Changing thermal compound. What decrease in Temperature can I expect?

Nekojin

Hi there :) I was wondering what decrease in temperature I can expect when I change the termal compound on my m14x? If I disable the turbo feature and Prime95 it, I will get 75°C. With Turbo enabled, I get 89°C! Overclocking easily gives me 98°. Further I want to ask you, if someone could post a "how to" tutorial. I know that I read somewhere here how to disamble it and how to install the compound, but can't find it anymore. Last one: What thermal compound would you suggest? Thanks for your help

Teardown guide:

Alienware M14x Disassembly/Teardown and Upgrade Guide!

This guide is very specific and easy to follow. I only came out with 4 spare screws! But thats just because i was excited to put it back together. Anyway, it is a long guide so i reccomend you glnce over it for five or so minutes to make sure your properly prepared.

As for temps after the repaste im getting an average of about 75*c with throttlestop and a GPU overclock. But you seem to be getting higher temps than i was so i would guess you might hit the 80* mark with turbo and an overclock, but i cant back that up. For optimal results youl want to prop the back of the notebook up on something for better airflow, I can still hit 90*c if i have it on my lap while laying down.

As for thermal compound I used arctic silver 5 because i had a tube laying around and it has yet to disapoint me. :Banane52:

Hope this helps. repasting is worth its weight in gold

PS, if your really in need another 1-2*c you can take off the RAM plate. (little flimsy thing on top of ram)

Edited by Ninjahunter
You wouldnt want to see the first version
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi there :) I was wondering what decrease in temperature I can expect when I change the termal compound on my m14x? If I disable the turbo feature and Prime95 it, I will get 75°C. With Turbo enabled, I get 89°C! Overclocking easily gives me 98°. Further I want to ask you, if someone could post a "how to" tutorial. I know that I read somewhere here how to disamble it and how to install the compound, but can't find it anymore. Last one: What thermal compound would you suggest? Thanks for your help

before and after results are here of some users here who tried ICD24 myself included.

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/913-ic-diamond-24-survey-results.html?highlight=innovation+cooling

Guest KillBeagle

I also repasted my M14x and I think the decrease was only around 5 - 8 °C (Which is still something).

I kind of expected more from it as I did my last repaste 5 years ago on a Clevo D900T wich did like 20°C.

I'm just guessing here, that the quality gap between easy to install thermal pads and not so easy to apply thermal pastes is becomming smaller and smaller in the last years...

When trying do decide for which paste to use this time, I did a lot of research and I think the best right now is probably the IC Diamond 24 Carat (especially in long term results).

It's probably also the most expensive paste to get but I think 10 to 20 bucks are still quite cheap to get less heat on a machine that you paid 1300 to 2000 bucks on... with other words I wouldn't get a different almost as goo paste just to save like 5 bucks or something.

Arctic Silver 5 is also still quite famous but keep in mind that it's also already around for more then five years so my guess was that a more up to date paste might technologically be more advanced as well (And I thing the IC is).

I also repasted my M14x and I think the decrease was only around 5 - 8 °C (Which is still something).

I kind of expected more from it as I did my last repaste 5 years ago on a Clevo D900T wich did like 20°C.

I'm just guessing here, that the quality gap between easy to install thermal pads and not so easy to apply thermal pastes is becomming smaller and smaller in the last years...

When trying do decide for which paste to use this time, I did a lot of research and I think the best right now is probably the IC Diamond 24 Carat (especially in long term results).

It's probably also the most expensive paste to get but I think 10 to 20 bucks are still quite cheap to get less heat on a machine that you paid 1300 to 2000 bucks on... with other words I wouldn't get a different almost as goo paste just to save like 5 bucks or something.

Arctic Silver 5 is also still quite famous but keep in mind that it's also already around for more then five years so my guess was that a more up to date paste might technologically be more advanced as well (And I thing the IC is).

Very true also even a 3C difference can make improvements... see thats around 9-10F thats a lot... so 3-20C difference is worth it.

I must get round to doing this on my M14x. Change the stock stuff that Dell uses (thermal pads basically) to Noctua's stuff that I got with my NH-D14 Heatsink/Fan for my i7 2600K system, which is overclocked at 4.9GHz currently (1.44v). I expect I'd see some temperature drop, which is helpful in a laptop. Just a matter of getting the courage to take the laptop to bits that much.

I must get round to doing this on my M14x. Change the stock stuff that Dell uses (thermal pads basically) to Noctua's stuff that I got with my NH-D14 Heatsink/Fan for my i7 2600K system, which is overclocked at 4.9GHz currently (1.44v). I expect I'd see some temperature drop, which is helpful in a laptop. Just a matter of getting the courage to take the laptop to bits that much.

[Offtopic]

Ixel would you post some basic cpu benches of your air 4.9ghz 1.44v 2600k in the benchmark forms we have here I'd love to see comparisons of my 2920xm to your 2600k both on air... it would just indulge my curiosity. Please and thank you... no rush. In fact I can then use that data and post some comparison graphs in the mobile cpu vs desktop cpu thread.

[Offtopic]

Edited by mw86

Cool , I was wondering what you guys use to remove previous thermal compound?

scary but for me it was simply those alcohol prepacked wipes... and a normal paper towel... if you ever have to remove the ICD 24 though you need to do it without rubbing it so you don't scrape diamond particles over the metal surface as it will cut into the surface with enough force.