OS X + eGPU = 4k at 30Hz only?

martinm0

Been a while since I've been on the forums.  Recently picked up a Samsung 40" 4k curved TV to possibly use as a monitor.  The issue I'm running into is that OS X only seems to run the TV at 30Hz, while Windows 8.1n runs it at 60Hz (same machine, hardware, cables, input, etc).

Is there something that has to be modified or changed to allow OS X to drive the monitor full 60Hz?  I know my iMac doesn't support 4k from the dGPU, but would that prevent it from being able to produce 60Hz 4k through the eGPU?  Even SwitchresX only shows 30Hz in all the settings.

Here's my setup:

Samsung UN40JU7500

2012 iMac 27" (680MX GPU)

Zotac GTX-970

Akitio Thunder2

Dell DA-2 PSU

Edited by martinm0

• 2 weeks later...

hey martinm0, 

I had the same problem, after the Update to OSX 10.11.2 and Nvidia Web driver 346.03.04f02  (I had to rerun the automate-egpu script) my 4k screen is now full supported. (In Display Menu and the OSX system settings)

My Setup is:

KFA2 GTX-960

Akitio Thunder2

Dell DA-2 PSU

MacBookPro Mid 2014

Acer CB280HK