Sign in to follow this  
Brian

AMD Announces New 14nmm FinFET GPU Architecture Called Polaris

AMD has just e-mailed the press release (found at the end of this article) for it's new next generation 14nm FinFET GPU architecture called Polaris. In addition, AMD has produced a new video in which Raja Koduri, SVP and Chief Architect of AMD's Radeon Technology Group, and others from AMD, discuss Polaris and also give us a demonstration of it with 2x perf/watt gains vs "a comparable GPU from the competition".  

Earlier VideoCardz leaked some Polaris slides that are now confirmed as being accurate so we've included them here:

e136df5b-161d-470d-856d-7842746d51e0.thu

997936cb-07be-4d7a-b0cf-7269b283eaff.thu

edd6a72c-d5ec-4285-a0e4-6368cc0008ae.thu

A lot of this information isn't a big surprise to those that follow the GPU industry closely but at least now we have official confirmation from AMD. The following is their official press release:

AMD Demonstrates Revolutionary 14nm FinFET Polaris GPU Architecture

— The world’s first public showcase of 14nm FinFET PC GPU technology promises more than double the performance per watt over previous generations; now sampling to OEMs —

LONDON, UK. — CES 2016 – 4th Jan, 2016 — AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) provided customers with a glimpse of its upcoming 2016 Polaris GPU architecture, highlighting a wide range of significant architectural improvements including HDR monitor support, and industry-leading performance-per-watt. AMD expects shipments of Polaris architecture-based GPUs to begin in mid-2016.

AMD’s Polaris architecture-based 14nm FinFET GPUs deliver a remarkable generational jump in power efficiency. Polaris-based GPUs are designed for fluid frame rates in graphics, gaming, VR and multimedia applications running on compelling small form-factor thin and light computer designs.

“Our new Polaris architecture showcases significant advances in performance, power efficiency and features,” said Lisa Su, president and CEO, AMD. “2016 will be a very exciting year for Radeon™ fans driven by our Polaris architecture, Radeon Software Crimson Edition and a host of other innovations in the pipeline from our Radeon Technologies Group.”

The Polaris architecture features AMD’s 4th generation Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture, a next-generation display engine with support for HDMI 2.0a and DisplayPort 1.3, and next-generation multimedia features including 4K h.265 encoding and decoding.

AMD has an established track record for dramatically increasing the energy efficiency of its mobile processors, targeting a 25x improvement by the year 2020.

EDIT: Article corrected for errors 1/4/16

View full article

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Glaucon
      Hi everyone, I'm having problems with my alienware m17xr4. was with windows 10, and after an update, the notebook could not boot. I tried it in several ways and managed to recover, however, whenever I enter a game, it turns off or hangs. I decided to format windows 7 of the factory. however, the problem continues. my video card is the factory default AMD HD 7970M (2GB), already tried to install the drivers and the pc does not work correctly. Can someone help me ?

And what would a video card that the Alienware m17xr4 easily accept? thank you! 
    • By Mivas
      Hi! I registered for the specific topic. So, the big question for which I found no answer in internet.

Windows 7 on Intel Core 8th generation.

Officially, Intel supports windows 7 up to 6th generation. Unofficially, with an easy trick up to 7th generation. The question is, how can we make it work on 8th generation?

I installed windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on my new DELL Inspiron 5770 high end non-gaming 17 inch laptop, without any issue apart from the integrated GPU (Intel UHD Graphics 620). This also blocks the functionality of the AMD Graphics card too.

So, since for many reasons I want to have windows 7 instead of windows 10 or Linux, I did my best but I got stuck. I created a hybrid driver from 2 different versions of official Intel drivers, the latest, which supports this iGPU, but only on Windows 10 and the last windows 7 compatible, which does not include support for the specific 8th gen processor/graphics card, since it is newer. I mixed some files and also edited the inf file from the old driver.

I will share with you what I did, so that someone who has knowledge might get 100% functionality. I get only partial.

So, here is my guide.

1. Download the last Win7 compatible driver from Intel for HD Graphics. It is the version win64_15.45.19.4678
      2. Download a newer version which is win10 only but contains the driver for your processor. In my case, Intel Core i7 8550U with DEV_5917. I downloaded the latest driver.
      3. Make copies/backup of both folders and save elsewhere before starting editing.
      4. Unzip both. From the unzipped ones, go to the new driver folder, then Graphics, then copy all components and paste in the Graphics folder of the old (15.45.19.4678) version. Note; So far in my case I didn't play a role if I replaced the same names of the old files with the new ones or skipped them to keep the old ones. Exception; do NOT replace the igdlh64.inf file and the igdumdim32.dll
      5. Find the DEV number of the processor. Device Manager (from Control panel or search), right click on generic VGA Adapter, properties, details, ID.
      6. Open the igdlh64 file (with a notepad) from the new version (Graphics folder) find the DEV number under windows 10 and copy the whole line.
      7. Paste it under the Windows 7 section in the igdlh64 file of the old driver and correct the ikbl win10 with iskl win7 (known trick for 7th gen).
      8. Copy all lines that include the 4-digit number from the igdlh64 file from the new driver and paste in the respective sections of the igdlh64 of old driver. In the end of the text, also add the name of the driver as a label, eg Intel UHD Graphics 620.
      9. Install the modified old driver (win64_15.45.19.4678) and reboot.
      10. After reboot. Copy the igdumdim32.dll file from the Graphics folder of the new version and paste it to the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 replace the existing files

This way, I get all resolutions, full brightness, colour, contrast etc control of the display, intel graphics control panel, full windows 7 effects (aero glass etc), but I dont actually get video support (apart from 3rd party software, like VLC/GOM player which even play 4K video smoothly), 3d applications are not functional, I dont get hardware acceleration etc. I concluded that the solution is to edit the igdumdim32.dll file, so that I copy elements from the new version to the old one. This way, theoretically, it should work. Anyone who has experience with driver and dll modification???

• By Mivas
      Hi! I registered for the specific topic. So, the big question for which I found no answer in internet.

Windows 7 on Intel Core 8th generation.

Officially, Intel supports windows 7 up to 6th generation. Unofficially, with an easy trick up to 7th generation. The question is, how can we make it work on 8th generation?

I installed windows 7 Ultimate 64bit on my new DELL Inspiron 5770 high end non-gaming 17 inch laptop, without any issue apart from the integrated GPU (Intel UHD Graphics 620). This also blocks the functionality of the AMD Graphics card too.

So, since for many reasons I want to have windows 7 instead of windows 10 or Linux, I did my best but I got stuck. I created a hybrid driver from 2 different versions of official Intel drivers, the latest, which supports this iGPU, but only on Windows 10 and the last windows 7 compatible, which does not include support for the specific 8th gen processor/graphics card, since it is newer. I mixed some files and also edited the inf file from the old driver.

I will share with you what I did, so that someone who has knowledge might get 100% functionality. I get only partial.

So, here is my guide.

1. Download the last Win7 compatible driver from Intel for HD Graphics. It is the version win64_15.45.19.4678
      2. Download a newer version which is win10 only but contains the driver for your processor. In my case, Intel Core i7 8550U with DEV_5917. I downloaded the latest driver.
      3. Make copies/backup of both folders and save elsewhere before starting editing.
      4. Unzip both. From the unzipped ones, go to the new driver folder, then Graphics, then copy all components and paste in the Graphics folder of the old (15.45.19.4678) version. Note; So far in my case I didn't play a role if I replaced the same names of the old files with the new ones or skipped them to keep the old ones. Exception; do NOT replace the igdlh64.inf file and the igdumdim32.dll
      5. Find the DEV number of the processor. Device Manager (from Control panel or search), right click on generic VGA Adapter, properties, details, ID.
      6. Open the igdlh64 file (with a notepad) from the new version (Graphics folder) find the DEV number under windows 10 and copy the whole line.
      7. Paste it under the Windows 7 section in the igdlh64 file of the old driver and correct the ikbl win10 with iskl win7 (known trick for 7th gen).
      8. Copy all lines that include the 4-digit number from the igdlh64 file from the new driver and paste in the respective sections of the igdlh64 of old driver. In the end of the text, also add the name of the driver as a label, eg Intel UHD Graphics 620.
      9. Install the modified old driver (win64_15.45.19.4678) and reboot.
      10. After reboot. Copy the igdumdim32.dll file from the Graphics folder of the new version and paste it to the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 replace the existing files

This way, I get all resolutions, full brightness, colour, contrast etc control of the display, intel graphics control panel, full windows 7 effects (aero glass etc), but I dont actually get video support (apart from 3rd party software, like VLC/GOM player which even play 4K video smoothly), 3d applications are not functional, I dont get hardware acceleration etc. I concluded that the solution is to edit the igdumdim32.dll file, so that I copy elements from the new version to the old one. This way, theoretically, it should work. Anyone who has experience with driver and dll modification???

• By IronPancakes
      Hey guys, first post, but I thought I’d discuss my heatsink fan retrofit in my old M14x r1. 

Old fan was loud and not very efficient: the air transfer rate was around 2 cfm (I’m assuming cubic feet per minute). Finally had enough and decided to swap out the crappy r1 fan/coughing pinwheel for a r2 fan (rated at 10.4cfm). 

I found an old r2 heat sink on eBay (beware though that the heat sink for the r2 will NOT fit the gpu/cpu configuration for the r1. HOWEVER, the fan of the r2 heat sink it is attached to is a carbon copy fit into the r1 MoBo. A few philips head screws and a seal of good electric tape and BAM, you’ve got a significantly cooler and MUCH quieter intake fan in your old R1. 

My CPU temps from before were around 87-88 max load in FSX, 65 for the GPU; bear in mind this is after a repaste. Now with the new fan, I’m not going over 77 degrees on the CPU, and the gpu stays around 58, all while being MUCH quiter. I’ll post pics of the walkthrough if anyone is interested.

Just thought I’d share with all you fellow loonies trying to squeeze every last frame and degree out of our “portable toaster ovens with a screen and keyboard”. 

• By Logan
      Hello guys,

I've no idea where to post it, so this thread seems to be the most logical one, for me at least. 

However here is the link with the news about their upcomming GPUs suited for gaming: 

https://www.pcbuildersclub.com/2018/06/arctic-sound-intel-bestaetigt-dedizierte-gaming-grafikkarte-ab-2020/

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.