Member Introduction Thread - Post Here!

• 3 weeks later...

hello there i,ve been here for about a month in case anyone needs help with old msi GT80  on installing a pascal card on there machine i can help , i managed to install a gtx 1060 on an old msi gt80 (4980hq) its alittle tricky if you dont want to mod your bios ,but doable

I joined this forum because I'm a hardware enthousiast. I enjoy talking and mostly reading about different hardware and tweaks related to hardware. So far I've read interesting things on here!

Greetings! Glad to see you all here. I'm a desktop fella (from i486 and DOS 5.0) just given an Asus G75VW. Looking for info on that critter led me to TI and I also look forward to joining the community. I am a former "pro" tech with strong leaning towards hardware and drivers. Been into desktops for an age, now looking forward to abusing lap/note same. All known and anything learned, at your disposal. If any here are Jedi with Compiz, I'm all ears <G>

SP

hello everyone,

bought myself a second hand MSI GT683DX laptop, but after using Google I found there isn't that much info about this laptop on the internet. for that reason I joined techinferno because here i hope to find more info as just the basic info for basic users.

• 1 month later...

Hey I'm Sergio, I'm more of a desktop guy (9900K, Aorus Master, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance Pros, 1080Ti Hybrid FTW3) but I recently got a decent but older clevo p177sm that I'm looking to breathe new life into. 

I'm Brian,

I got my first PC from my Dad, when I was 13. I've been on the net since before web browsers and search engines. I've built most every subsequent desktop I've ever had. I'm pretty good at cooling, even with TEC chips!  I have a digital junkyard in my basement to scavenge the occasional part.

I'm an electrical engineer specializing in DC analog. I do some code hacking, but I don't write stuff from scratch. I'm a pretty good linux developer, and even admin. I've developed on Windows also. 

I discovered a hack for Asus wifi adapter BIOS white lists. I just swapped out an Intel Centrino single band 2.4 Ghz card for an Intel 6270 AC dual band card that didn't even exist the last time the laptop got an OEM BIOS update.

This works on every Asus laptop I've ever tried. To swap out the wifi card, boot into the BIOS setup program and leave it there. Hot swap the wifi adapter, and quit without saving. Load the operating system ( only tried with Linux, but I've been using the same method since the Intel C2D days.

Do a normal shutdown, and it just works from then on! Lenovo is trickier. You can hotswap the wifi adapter, and the machine will boot with the new adapter, but when you exit the BIOS setup with discard changes, the lenovo system goes backwards and does a full boot!

The Asus systems exit the BIOS setup and go straight to loading the os. I've only owned Lenovo and Asus laptops, so I don't have experience using this method with other makes. 

I also remove the HSF on every laptop I buy, and insert a copper shim between all hot surfaces (processor, gpu, sometimes video ram), with Arctic Silver 5 properly applied to both sides, and put the HSF on top of the shims.

I have one i7 laptop rig set up with copper shims under the HSF, and it runs 'mprime'  24/7. It's been running for years with no heat problems. But I did go through 3 AC adapters that overheated and failed on that machine, due to the increased load of mprime!

So, I cut the dead AC adapters apart with a razor knife, replaced the fried output caps, and got a nice huge passive copper heat sink and mounted it on the SMPS unit of the AC adapter, with a nice glob of cheap thermal paste! That keeps it nice and cool!

But the copper-shim method works so well that laptops so modded will literally take everything you can throw at them, without overheating! I recently modded a Lenovo W541 copper shims on the cpu, gpu and video ram chips (the HSF has pads for the those chips. The cpu is an i7-4710MQ. This machine is under test running mprime 24/7.

I've never hacked BIOS firmware, but I'm thinking about it, because it looks like the Lenovo white list problem has no easy fix. Or, maybe someone else has done it already. I don't worry about bricking anything, because I always back up the firmware with a programmer. I've brought bricked boards back to life!

I had one with a soldered on CMOS! I had to remove it, install a socket on the board, and program a socketed CMOS chip. I've been daring with hardware. There's just so much one can accomplish with hotplugging!

I also perform board-level repairs on motherboards OK, SO HELLO everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

we just got a new LG TV in the office, So as usual that one guy who gets called up in practically everything IT related stuffs. so setup it up but i got stacked for hours, when i wanted share content on my PC to the TV. I figured out that my laptop (which is the Lenovo ideapad y400) is not compatibility with wireless projection. am like what is wrong? this PC doesn't support wireless projection? so i took in out in the quest to find out what can be done via software and hardware ...and here am i. i followed from a source which stated that i need to install Intel WiDi, i downloaded and tried but it wasn't compatible so i dig deeper and I came across techinferno through a forum about how i can unlock my bios and get access to unlimited possibilities to i can install a wireless driver that supports WiDi to get things done.

am a software developer | technical writer && tech enthusiast

Edited by dasha
added more explain to make sense

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

My name is tomy22 i found this site and hoping to fix my asusg75vw.

I have replaced the motherboard purchaser from eBay its working but it locked the CPU to 1.2ghz 12x multiplier the only way is to use throttle stop to unlock processor so i think the bios will fix it as i can enable the hidden settings

well just have to wait to test the theory out have tried using spi programmers with different firmware also.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I've been an outsider looking in for a while now, but have decided to finally join the community. I'm sure the unlocked BIOSes here will give me many hours of entertainment. As the name suggests I like to tinker, so unlike some of you who may want the most powerful thing you can get, I get a fair amount of enjoyment just from tweaking whatever I can get my hands on (so long as time allows).

Hello everyone. I'm new here. I have a Clevo P751TM1-G laptop with i7-8700k, 64GB RAM and Nvidia GTX 1070 Mobile GPU. I'm looking forward to get the baked mod bios for my system. Also looking for a way (if there is any) to disable the NVIDIA GPU and use the integrated CPU graphics. The reason for this, I want to use a variant of Linux which doesn't have native support of Nvidia GPU. If anyone experienced on this, please advice me. Consider me a noob for few things.

Hi all. i am currently experiencing problems with my clevo p170sm-a. the famous error 43 on my Nvidia card. After searching the web i have decided to try a new vbios. after reading many posts here i have leaned that this is a great community for discusions and help.hope to learn lots here and to broarden my knowloege.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am a newbie here, and found this site surfing the net. I have just discovered that my ACER E5-523G-958X has not enabled the AMD-V in BIOS, so I cannot run a virtual machine.

I need to, so I expect getting your help to enable the virtualization in the BIOS. 

By the way, I have no further skills in this matter.

Regards