New Nvidia 580M in M18x Vbios update from Dell

mw86

Dell has released a new vbios revision for the 580m

http://support.dell.com/support/download...eid=478843

*ISO image of GTX580 A01 Vbios 70.24.2B.00.06*

*The flash utility will ask for user input to override PCI Subsystem ID. This is normal. Press y whenever prompted to complete the Vbios flash.*

*ISO image of production GTX560M Vbios. Burn image to CD and reboot system. Press F12 to choose CD/DVD drive. When promoted, press Y.*

OLD vbios version version 70.24.2B.00.04

had 3 entries

core:50.5MHz

shader:101MHz(bumped shader:270MHz)

memory:67.5MHz

---------------

core:73.5MHz

shader:147MHz(bumped shader:270MHz)

memory:162MHz

---------------

core:620MHz

shader:1240MHz(bumped shader:1289MHz)

memory:750MHz

New vbios version 70.24.2B.00.06, has 4 entries: new entry is marked in bold

core:50.5MHz

shader:101MHz(bumped shader:270MHz)

memory:67.5MHz

---------------

core:73.5MHz

shader:147MHz(bumped shader:270MHz)

memory:162MHz

---------------

core:475MHz

shader:950MHz(bumped shader:950MHz)

memory:750MHz

---------------

core:620MHz

shader:1240MHz(bumped shader:1289MHz)

memory:750MHz.

Thanks to Saltius from notebookreview and Barcode for posting this at Bios-Mods!

Barcode is trying to see if this vbios can be manipulated here:

DELL M18X A03 BIOS THROTTLE REMOVAL GTX580M SLI

• Thumbs Up 3

• Founder

Hopefully this fixes the throttling people are having at stock clocks. Bill from Dell is having a conference call over on NBR for those that want to partake in a discussion with an AW lead engineer.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Edit: For ROMs see the attachments

Flash AW_GTX580M_06_P1_P0_matched_087.ROM and run drivers 285.62 (or higher) to get rid of the throttle pretty much completely.

Do you want to go heavier? Choose AW_GTX580M_06_750_850_092.ROM - 750 Mhz core/850 Mhz memory @ 0.92V. It is safe as far as I've tested. The cards run faster and score higher in benchmarks, but also heat up faster. The temperature difference running auto fans in a room with ambient temp ~25*C is somewhere between 6-8*C on full load (so with IC Diamond and fans freshly blown against the dust that's like 78-80*C max at full load). That's some 73-74*C on stock clocks and stock paste.

Personally, I am running the the P0=P1 version. Really no reason to go higher for regular use. 580M SLI chew on anything anyway. If any of you needs instructions how to flash 580M or is unsure about any step, don't hesitate to reply in here.

All ROMs moddified by Saltius

AW_GTX580M_06_modified_vbios_1.zip

AW_GTX580M_06_modified_vbios_2.zip

Edited by 0x29A
Added ZIPs.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I need your help with flashing to modded vbios.

I thought you already run moddified vbios, skygunner27. What I can do is simply to repeat the instructions both bar-code and me posted on the NBR forum.

1) Put a moddified vbios of your choice along with this Nvidia flashing utility in the same folder. It is safe to flash from Windows.

2) Open Command Prompt and go to that folder.

3) Firstly, backup your current vbios. You have to do it for both cards. The program will ask you which card to choose, so run it twice:

nvflash.exe -b backup#.rom (where # is the card number 0 or 1, for example)

WWfB7.png

3) When you are done with that, type

nvflash.exe -i0 -5 -6 vbios.rom (where vbios.rom is the modified ROM file link to which can be found in the #4 post in this thread)

then

nvflash.exe -i1 -5 -6 vbios.rom

-i# - Force a specific device index.

-5 - Allow firmware and adapter PCI device ID mismatch.

-6 - Allow firmware and adapter PCI subsystem ID mismatch.

You will be asked to press y twice. Let it finish flashing. Done.

4) Reboot. You don't have to reinstall the drivers. As the Dell engineer told us during the conference call, from 285.62 on Wattage cap and switching to lower pefromance level is managed in a more efficient way, so if you want to run a moddified vbios upgrade to 285.62 or higher.

Edited by 0x29A

What's the issue?

The infamous throttle is the issue. When a 580M card hits maximum Wattage a MXM port can take, it downclocks to a lower performance level (see the first post). To work around this we use a moddified bios where the highest performance level P0 and "anti-throttle" second performance level (to which by default the card downclock) P1 are made equal, so it the end the cards downclock to... same clocks it runs by default. This, plus 285.26+ drivers = pretty much no throttle at all.

The infamous throttle is the issue. ...

Yeah, I know, I was referring to his problems with flashing...

Btw, your help is appreciated, but instead of making three posts I'd prefer you used the "edit" button, just for future posting, thanks in advance!

I still recommend not flashing from within Windows, DOS is much more fail safe, but in the end, its up to you.

Btw, your help is appreciated, but instead of making three posts I'd prefer you used the "edit" button, just for future posting, thanks in advance!

I will try. Most modern forums auto-merge consequential forums posts by the same poster, btw. Maybe such a function would be worth looking into if too many of consequential posts is an issue.

I thought you already run moddified vbios, skygunner27. What I can do is simply to repeat the instructions both bar-code and me posted on the NBR forum.

1) Put a moddified vbios of your choice along with this Nvidia flashing utility in the same folder. It is safe to flash from Windows.

2) Open Command Prompt and go to that folder.

3) Firstly, backup your current vbios. You have to do it for both cards. The program will ask you which card to choose, so run it twice:

nvflash.exe -b backup#.rom (where # is the card number 0 or 1, for example)

WWfB7.png

3) When you are done with that, type

nvflash.exe -i0 -5 -6 vbios.rom (where vbios.rom is the modified ROM file link to which can be found in the #4 post in this thread)

then

nvflash.exe -i1 -5 -6 vbios.rom

-i# - Force a specific device index.

-5 - Allow firmware and adapter PCI device ID mismatch.

-6 - Allow firmware and adapter PCI subsystem ID mismatch.

You will be asked to press y twice. Let it finish flashing. Done.

4) Reboot. You don't have to reinstall the drivers. As the Dell engineer told us during the conference call, from 285.62 on Wattage cap and switching to lower pefromance level is managed in a more efficient way, so if you want to run a moddified vbios upgrade to 285.62 or higher.

Thank you for trying to help. I still can't get it. I keep getting an error about my system being 64bit. I know it's user error. Can you please add me to steam my ID is skygunner27. It would probably be easier for me to message you there when you login.

• Founder
I will try. Most modern forums auto-merge consequential forums posts by the same poster, btw. Maybe such a function would be worth looking into if too many of consequential posts is an issue.

Typically we try not to bog the forum down with modifications if necesssary since it just adds to server load, introduces 3rd party code (and potential exploits) and conflicts with existing code. However, in this case such a mod is now in place.

Thank you for trying to help. I still can't get it. I keep getting an error about my system being 64bit. I know it's user error. Can you please add me to steam my ID is skygunner27. It would probably be easier for me to message you there when you login.

Can you take a photo of the error w/a camera and post it here?

Edited by Brian

I received my m18x today. I checked vbios in GPUz and bios version was showing as the latest however after running Unigine Heaven benchmark i noticed throttling and had sound poping evry few seconds. I ran the vbios update iso and as it was updating

it said something about PCI subsystem ID mismatch or PCI device ID mismatch i pressed "y" and let i go through and so far it seems to have fixed poping and throttling. will test more after work.

• Thumbs Up 1

I received my m18x today. I checked vbios in GPUz and bios version was showing as the latest however after running Unigine Heaven benchmark i noticed throttling and had sound poping evry few seconds. I ran the vbios update iso and as it was updating

it said something about PCI subsystem ID mismatch or PCI device ID mismatch i pressed "y" and let i go through and so far it seems to have fixed poping and throttling. will test more after work.

The best policy is to flash the stock clocks anti-throttle vbios where P0 = P1 (that's the AW_GTX580M_06_P1_P0_matched_087.ROM from the packages above) and then do further overclocking using Nvidia Inspector (see here for Nvidia Inspector details).

Sound popping is caused by latency problem of the A04 BIOS (that's the proper bios, not vbios). Just downgrade to A03 and you will be fine. Simply flash the old bios. It is safe and it will work. I attached the original A03 bios for you.

M18xR1A03.zip

Edited by 0x29A

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...