MS-1762 upgrading from gtx 675m

matth2212

Hello Everyone.

This is my first post, I'm not really that well educated in the world of laptops, so please go easy, I might need a bit of hand holding here.

my laptop is the GT70-0nc, its the barebones MS-1762 I believe,  I bought it from a custom laptop builder online. The 675m is fried I think, BSOD all over the place, disabling it and switching to my HD4000 integrated fixed the BSOD.

I'm looking into upgrading the GPU of my laptop except there's some things that have me completely baffled...

1. Which GPU's are actually compatible? - I was looking at the 680m but if there are newer gpu's that work I'd love consider those too.

2. I have read a lot about flashing my BIOS, this really confused me. I get the American Megatrends Logo on boot up, so I tried checking out their BIOS but everything i've read says use the MSI VBios?

I have a good bit of experience with the hardware in my laptop, I've taken it apart quite a few times like to change thermal paste / general maintinence and upgrade my WIFI card. it's the software and compatibility issues that are really getting me stuck.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

u can go up till 980m like Svet from the msi Forum telling me

only Thing what u will Need is and unlocked bios from him i got it on my msi gt70 1762 at the Moment and ist running fine :) 

and if i remember right u Need to Flash ur ec but u will becomme nice advice and an how to .... from him :D 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2017-02-04 at 10:13 AM, Bloetschkopf said:

Yes You can,but You have to fill up some Parts with Thermal Pads.

I appreciate your reply so just to confirm, I can drop an MSI 770M 3GB from a MS-1762 into a MS-1761 GT780DXR . I will just have to fill some area with thermal pads.

Will I be able to run this system with same power supply or does it need to be upgraded? I am guessing it does not.