How to change the eGPU hosting port from Gen1 to Gen2?

stalin

Hi Guys, I'm very new to this whole thing so sorry if this isn't formatted correctly, is answered elsewhere or in the wrong place.

On HWinINFO, my PCI Express Root Port for the ExPresscard Reader is a 2.0 1x link. It runs at 2.5 gb/s, but is capable of 5.0 gb/s. I tried to change the linkage (Using Setup 1.3) to be 5.0 gb/s by using the port utility in the program to set it as Gen 2. This comes back successfully, but then when I go check if it worked in HWinInfo it says the link is still 2.5 gb/s. Any ideas?

From booting the system, here's my procedure (eGPU works with this proc): OS Select Screen (plug in eGPU) -> PCI Compaction (3.87GB, ignore dGPU), disable dGPU, try to change link width, chainload (using bootmgr), play!

Specs: T540P: 4800MQ, GT730M, 16GB ram , Win 8.1

EGPU: R9 380, PE4C-EC060A v 3.0

The HWInfo output may not be reliable.

The best way to check is put the eGPU under load to take the link out of power management where it runs at Gen1 speed.

eg: go to NVidia Control Panel -> Adjust image so the NVidia logo spins.

Simultaneously run GPU-Z and inspect the "Bus Interface" field. It will say x1 2.0 (Gen2) if the port has been correctly switched to Gen2. It will say x1 1.1 (Gen1) if still running at the lower speed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.