Having problems with drivers for aw 17 r1 with upgraded gpu

Lanius

Hello everybody 

I installed few days a go a new gtx 970m on my Alienware 17 r1 (2013), upgrading from gtx 765. I am now having troubles with modded  drivers, since there are some things I don't completely understand. First off, where do I find the string I need to put in the .inf if my graphic card isn't detected or is detected as a generic "Microsoft video card"  without drivers?  

Then, how does the installation exactly work? Do I have to just download the driver from Nvidia, watching the installation fail and then modify the inf? Or there something more I should do? 

Third, what if I don't find the inf file? Last time I looked for it in the 359 driver and in 361 I couldn't find it, even if I searched with cntrl f for ".inf", "nvci"and all the others. 

I know that j95 made a splendid post with already modded inf but I can't download them since I'm not elite member or something like that. 

Any help is appreciated 

Are you on Win 10 or 8.1?

I was using Win 10 but encountered a lot of issues so I formatted my system back to Win 8.1. 

1. To get the HW ID of 970M, Device Manager\Display adapters\GTX 970M\Details\Property\Hardware Ids

In Optimus mode, AW17 R1, it should be PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D8&SUBSYS_05AA1028.

If I am not mistaken, 13D8 is GTX 970M, 05AA is its ID in the system, and 1028 is our motherboard ID...

2. Here are the steps I used to make my 970M works in Optimus mode. (Modded .inf in dedicated mode doesn't work in my system) 

A. Download the driver from nVidia, probably not the latest, as J95 found something broken in them. For instance, I am using 358.91. Benchmark results, aside, at least it works properly in Optimus mode;

B. When you have the permission, download nvcvi.inf for Win8.1, Optimus, AW17;

C. Extract the nVidia driver using 7zip or just launch the installer;

D. Copy and replace the nvcvi.inf inside C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\358.91\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver;

E. Reboot your system to disable Digital Signature Enforcement;

F. Click the Setup.exe to install the driver, and choose Proceed Anyway;

G. After installation, set the power management to High Performance both in Windows and nVidia Control Panel.

I suggest you read the few pages in below thread, or contact J95 if you still stucked. If you system is exactly same as mine, it should work. 

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/4906-alienware-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf/&page=39

• Thumbs Up 1

On 29/12/2015 at 5:34 PM, Observer said:

Are you on Win 10 or 8.1?

I was using Win 10 but encountered a lot of issues so I formatted my system back to Win 8.1. 

1. To get the HW ID of 970M, Device Manager\Display adapters\GTX 970M\Details\Property\Hardware Ids

In Optimus mode, AW17 R1, it should be PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_13D8&SUBSYS_05AA1028.

If I am not mistaken, 13D8 is GTX 970M, 05AA is its ID in the system, and 1028 is our motherboard ID...

2. Here are the steps I used to make my 970M works in Optimus mode. (Modded .inf in dedicated mode doesn't work in my system) 

A. Download the driver from nVidia, probably not the latest, as J95 found something broken in them. For instance, I am using 358.91. Benchmark results, aside, at least it works properly in Optimus mode;

B. When you have the permission, download nvcvi.inf for Win8.1, Optimus, AW17;

C. Extract the nVidia driver using 7zip or just launch the installer;

D. Copy and replace the nvcvi.inf inside C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\358.91\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver;

E. Reboot your system to disable Digital Signature Enforcement;

F. Click the Setup.exe to install the driver, and choose Proceed Anyway;

G. After installation, set the power management to High Performance both in Windows and nVidia Control Panel.

I suggest you read the few pages in below thread, or contact J95 if you still stucked. If you system is exactly same as mine, it should work. 

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/4906-alienware-aftermarket-upgrades-driver-support-modded-inf/&page=39

Hey, thanks again for the answer! I finally managed to install the driver you have, modifying the inf file by myself following this guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKwFHU8ka5I, now everything seem to work fine

• 3 weeks later...