MSI GT70 Motherboard Replacement Complications

farmer bobathan

Hello! I am new to these forums and was hoping that I would be able to get help.

I have a MSI GT70 Dominator with an Intel Core i7-4800MQ and an Nvidia GTX 870m. I just recently replaced the motherboard on my laptop because the power jack had broken off. The motherboard originally in my GT70 was labelled MS-17631 VER:1.1 but the motherboard that was sent to me (it was advertised as a VER:1.1) is labelled MS-17631 VER:0a. The bios on the new motherboard mention a GT60.

Anyways, I'm having problems getting my Nvidia GTX 870m to work and I believe this may be because I was sent an incorrect motherboard. The seller says the version shouldn't be an issue. Is there a significant difference between the two boards or is there another bios I should flash?

Thanks for any information you can give me to help!

• 3 months later...

The Motherboards of GT60/GT70 was at the first Time the same,You can flash the latest Bios for GT70.

I think your Problem comes from the  early Bios Version on this Board.

You find it here:

http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/nb/E1763IMS.51D.zip

And EC Firmware here:

https://de.msi.com/Notebook/support/GT70-2OD.html#down-firmware&Win8.1%2064

Edited by Bloetschkopf

If you run CPU-Z what does it say your mainboard model and revision is? If you run DXDIAG what does say for your BIOS? If you did indeed get a GT60 mobo both of these should tell you just that. I would definitely check to see if your BIOS is up-to-date and then proceed accordingly.

If your still having trouble I would recommend contacting Svet on the MSI forums. He makes custom BIOSes that fix issues just like this. With the BIOS I got from him I'll be able to use a 970M with my CZ-17 (which is an MS-1762 or barebones GT70) in addition to a ton of other stuff.

I have not made progress on this problem. I'm messing around with the BIOS now but using Windows is frustrating because the CPU is being capped at 110mhz. I'm having trouble flashing the linked BIOS because my current BIOS doesn't have the Update UEFI BIOS option.

Update: I included a screenshot of the cpu-z window.

tmp_21393-Capture1807351255.PNG

Edited by farmer bobathan
cpu-z screenshot

• 2 months later...

Updating here just in case anyone comes across this in a google search in a few years. I managed to fix this problem by flashing E1763IMS.51B bios from the GT70 2PC. I followed the instructions for flashing using the UEFI boot drive. I had to modify the FLASH.NSH file in a text editor to be:

AfuEfix64.efi E1763IMS.51B /p /b /n /k /r /x /recovery

I also had to put FLASH.NSH, E1763IMS.51B, and startup.nsh in the same directory as the .efi files. The flash seemed to fail when it got to recovery but after rebooting my cpu wasn't throttled anymore. I then had to modify my NVidia drivers' .inf file to recognize my graphics card because the new motherboard, not being the same kind that came with the laptop, changed the hardware id of my graphics card. I just did this last night and all seems to be going well so far. Also, I found the .efi files after much frustrated google searching but the forums won't let me attach them.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 04/04/2016 at 11:34 AM, Bloetschkopf said:

The Motherboards of GT60/GT70 was at the first Time the same,You can flash the latest Bios for GT70.

I think your Problem comes from the  early Bios Version on this Board.

You find it here:

http://download.msi.com/bos_exe/nb/E1763IMS.51D.zip

And EC Firmware here:

https://de.msi.com/Notebook/support/GT70-2OD.html#down-firmware&Win8.1%2064

Sorry but this files are for another notebook, the correct one is GT70 2PC Dominator, the files should be downloaded here:
Https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GT70-2PC-Dominator.html

Go to services / bios
And services / firmware

22 minutes ago, Bloetschkopf said:

The Bios E1763IMS.51D is the latest Bios for GT70 2.

I do not know, my Bios is the same, as the image of CPUZ shows, the other images are from the files available on the MSI website.

My bios (E1763IMS.51B) is from 2015/29/01, and those of the Site are from 2015/07/30 ... :\ 

011.jpg

012.JPG

013.JPG

Edited by Arthur MN
additional information

• Bios Modder
17 minutes ago, Arthur MN said:

My bios (E1763IMS.51B) is from 2015/29/01, and those of the Site are from 2015/07/30 ... :\ 

Yes, your bios version E1763IMS.51B just older then E1763IMS.51D from MSI website. Of course you can update it.

1 minute ago, Klem said:

Yes, your bios version E1763IMS.51B just older then E1763IMS.51D from MSI website. Of course you can update it.

And this version, it seems to be the last one, does it? 
MSI Site:
BIOS Version
E1763IMS.11D
Release Date
2015-07-30

Can I upgrade to this one?

I confess that I am confused with the information on the site.
Grateful

• Bios Modder
2 minutes ago, Arthur MN said:

And this version, it seems to be the last one, does it? 
MSI Site:
BIOS Version
E1763IMS.11D
Release Date
2015-07-30

Can I upgrade to this one?

I confess that I am confused with the information on the site.
Grateful

No. If now your actual bios is E1763IMS.51B, then latest bios version for your laptop - E1763IMS.51D. You can update to this version.

3 minutes ago, Klem said:

No. If now your actual bios is E1763IMS.51B, then latest bios version for your laptop - E1763IMS.51D. You can update to this version.

I understand now, tks ...

do you have any way to update the bios using a desktop application?
Or just by boot?

• Bios Modder
12 minutes ago, Arthur MN said:

I understand now, tks ...

do you have any way to update the bios using a desktop application?
Or just by boot?

Just use DOS mode.