M14x broken ?

robby_hd

Hey Guys,

I have the strangest problem with my M14x that I've ever seen in my IT experienced life.

I'm getting Bluescreens all the time, when I'm running 3D Applications like Deus EX: Human Revolution, Call Of Duty - Black Ops or Crysis 2.

But when I run through 3DMark11 I don't get any of them ?!

I changed the RAM, I checked it with MemTest86+ - nothing ! Got no errors and everythings fine. Pre-Boot-Diagnostic by Alienware says everythings fine and I pass all tests.

I tried Windows 7 Home Edition 64 Bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and Nvidia Driver 280.26, 285.27 and 285.38. Used the new Alienware Drivers and the ones, which came with it.

Everywhere the same, doesn't matter, starting a game, gaming for, let's say 10 Minutes -> Crash or Bluescreen. The most common Bluescreen is System_Service_Exception 0x0000003B.

Running BIOS A05 on this system:

Intel i7 2630QM

3GB GT555M

8GB Kingston HyperX 1866 MHz CL11 (tried 1600MHz - same, tried only one modul - same)

500GB Seagate Momentus (getting OCZ Vertex3 MAX IOPS 120GB tomorrow - maybe that solves the problem, but don't believe it)

Intel Wifi 1000

900p WLED Screen

Dissassembled my M14x and attached Artic Silver 5 on CPU, GPU and GMemory, getting now highest temperatures beneath 85 degrees on CPU and beneath 70 on GPU, so there is no heating issue.

Do I have to contact AW/DELL and asking for Hardware Support or has anybody an idea ?

Hi, running FurMark right now @ 1600x900 and MSAA: 8X. Logging the temperatures, we'll see what happens :>

@Ninjahunter : Yeah, loaded the optimal defaults about 20 times - doesn't changed anything, unfortunately...

After 15 minutes of Burn-In-Test @ settings as I said, I got an max. temperature of 75°C (GPU) and 88°C (CPU)

Edited by robby_hd

Are you logged in as Administrator and is the User Account Control turned off?

I had the same problem with mine. After logging in as admin and turning UAC off, it worked fine.

Yops :>

Installing Win 7 on SSD right now. Maybe the new system will work fine from the start ;)

Hey Guys,

I have the strangest problem with my M14x that I've ever seen in my IT experienced life.

I'm getting Bluescreens all the time, when I'm running 3D Applications like Deus EX: Human Revolution, Call Of Duty - Black Ops or Crysis 2.

But when I run through 3DMark11 I don't get any of them ?!

I changed the RAM, I checked it with MemTest86+ - nothing ! Got no errors and everythings fine. Pre-Boot-Diagnostic by Alienware says everythings fine and I pass all tests.

I tried Windows 7 Home Edition 64 Bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit and Nvidia Driver 280.26, 285.27 and 285.38. Used the new Alienware Drivers and the ones, which came with it.

Everywhere the same, doesn't matter, starting a game, gaming for, let's say 10 Minutes -> Crash or Bluescreen. The most common Bluescreen is System_Service_Exception 0x0000003B.

Running BIOS A05 on this system:

Intel i7 2630QM

3GB GT555M

8GB Kingston HyperX 1866 MHz CL11 (tried 1600MHz - same, tried only one modul - same)

500GB Seagate Momentus (getting OCZ Vertex3 MAX IOPS 120GB tomorrow - maybe that solves the problem, but don't believe it)

Intel Wifi 1000

900p WLED Screen

Dissassembled my M14x and attached Artic Silver 5 on CPU, GPU and GMemory, getting now highest temperatures beneath 85 degrees on CPU and beneath 70 on GPU, so there is no heating issue.

Do I have to contact AW/DELL and asking for Hardware Support or has anybody an idea ?

Were you overclocking you cpu at all? Even if it was a small baseclock increase or anything at all? Because in BSOD code 0x3B = increase vcore. It would make sense then that furmark didn't cause the crash... since it just loads the gpu up not the cpu. Anyone agree? Codes are listed here: http://forum.techinferno.com/off-topic/1124-general-overclocking-advice-record-breaking-benchmarks.html#post13080

Sorry I just noticed that you reset the bios defaults several times so you must not have been overclocking the cpu... but why you got 0x3b is still to be determined.. as its strange you got it when not overclocking the CPU... maybe you need to run a stress test on the cpu.. what if its faulty? If a cpu seems to crash needing more volts when on stock clocks... seems like there is a prob with that cpu...

Edited by mw86

Please let us know how the new install is working for you.

Didn't work - Booting Windows and getting a Bluescreen: Memory_Management.

@mw86: Also tried both of it - overclocked and stock clocks, on both I get errors.

I'm sick of this thing, contacted Dell, they will take it back and give me my money back.

I will order a M17x and hope for the best.

Getting a much better config for only 250€ more - I should have done this before...

Greetings

Didn't work - Booting Windows and getting a Bluescreen: Memory_Management.

@mw86: Also tried both of it - overclocked and stock clocks, on both I get errors.

I'm sick of this thing, contacted Dell, they will take it back and give me my money back.

I will order a M17x and hope for the best.

Getting a much better config for only 250€ more - I should have done this before...

Greetings

Sorry to hear of all the issues... sounds like you'll be better off with the M17x anyway. Sounds to me that ram or cpu is faulty and a test isn't always going to reveal that... IE Memtest etc isn't perfect I've had some bad chips and Memtest never found it... especially if you still have error in windows install tends to mean somethings broken. Congrats on the new incoming system I hope its trouble free.

Sorry to hear of all the issues... sounds like you'll be better off with the M17x anyway. Sounds to me that ram or cpu is faulty and a test isn't always going to reveal that... IE Memtest etc isn't perfect I've had some bad chips and Memtest never found it... especially if you still have error in windows install tends to mean somethings broken. Congrats on the new incoming system I hope its trouble free.

Yeah, but the fault has to be in the notebook, because I ordered the RAM fresh from ALTERNATE and I had the issues also before I got the new RAM, so I think the RAM has to be fine. I will order a M17x with 2630QM, GeForce GTX580M and 1080p Screen and install the RAM and the SSD in it and will be happy (I hope so :D).

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, but the fault has to be in the notebook, because I ordered the RAM fresh from ALTERNATE and I had the issues also before I got the new RAM, so I think the RAM has to be fine. I will order a M17x with 2630QM, GeForce GTX580M and 1080p Screen and install the RAM and the SSD in it and will be happy (I hope so :D).

So yeah seems the 2630qm was broken because thats the type of BSOD you were getting... I only get those when overclocking my XM and it needs more voltage.