lenovo y50-70 860M (4GB) overclock

paklic9

On 3/26/2016 at 9:00 PM, Ferkosza said:

So this is my detailed description how I managed to mod and overclock my GTX 960M in my Lenovo Y50-70. Please note: it is very dangerous to play with the BIOS, so you need to be very careful! I take NO RESPONSIBILITY for any damage or misuse of the information below! Use it AT YOUR OWN RISK!

-------

Necessary tools:

A. Fptw64 from Intel (9.5 or above)
http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=75024

B. PhoenixTool (2.50 or above)

C. Maxwell II BIOS Tweaker (1.36)
https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2562/maxwell-ii-bios-tweaker-v1-36/

-------------------------

How to flash Modded BIOS:

0. Flash the latest (3.03 now) official BIOS
1. From Windows, start 'cmd' as Administrator and read your your BIOS via Fptw64:
   Fptw64 -d BIOS.ROM -bios
2. Reboot, enter your BIOS and check "Enable downgrading BIOS" feature (we need to downgrade first in order to flash the modded BIOS)
3. From Windows, downgrade to 1.13 (this is necessary because the newer BIOSes have protection against mod-ding)
4. After reboot & reflash, start Windows, then enter standby, wait a bit, then wake up the machine
5. Create your modded BIOS, see separate list below
6. Start 'cmd' as Administrator and write your _modded_ BIOS via Fptw64:
   Fptw64 -f BIOS_MODDED.ROM -bios

How to create modded BIOS (point 5 above):

5.1 Start PhoenixTool.exe from Phoenix Tool 2.50 and open your previously saved original BIOS.ROM from point #1 above
 .2 The tool analyses it and shows some messages, click OK
 .3 Now you can find your vBIOS in the "DUMP" subfolder in the folder containing your BIOS.ROM, with the file name:
    BE13645B-2C2C-44D2-A64F-0EA052C34597_1796.ROM
 .4 Create your modded vBIOS, see separate list below -> let's call it 960M_OC.MOD
 .5 Click on "Structure"
 .6 Open "EFI BIOS" tag
 .7 Open second "File Volume {7A9354D9-...}" tag
 .8 DXE Core -> Compressed Section -> Raw section -> File Volume {7A9354D9-...}
 .9 In the very long list, find the following tag (usually displayed at around 80% of the list):
    Freeform {BE13645B-2C2C-44D2-A64F-0EA052C34597}
    This is the item containing the latest vBIOS
 .10 Open the tag, then "GUID defined section", then click on Raw section. "Internal number" (in the top right corner) should be 1796 for BIOS 3.03.
 .11 Click on "Replace" and select your modded vBIOS (called 960M_OC.MOD above)
 .12 Click exit "Exit" and say Yes to "Save changes?"
 .13 Close the Phoenix Tool; now you should have your BIOS.ROM updated (the original will be saved as BIOS.ROM.OLD for safety)

How to create modded vBIOS (point 5.4 above):
Use Maxwell II BIOS Tweaker to change BE13645B-2C2C-44D2-A64F-0EA052C34597_1796.ROM;
5.4.1 Open the ROM
   .2 Change "Boost Clock" on "Common" tab to the new boost-ed maximum value
   .3 On "Boost table" tab, use the slider in the right bottom corner to increase your max boost-ed value to the same number
   .4 On "Boost states" tab, at P00 profile, change the MAX values in the GPC, L2C and XBAR fields to the same max boost-ed value
   .5 Save your modified BIOS and rename it to 960M_OC.MOD

(My boost-ed max value was 1359 MHz. I could then use MSI Afterburner's software tuning -> my 960M could reach 1454 MHz without voltage increase.)

Hey, thanks for this. Amazing explanation. So am I right in saying that once I do this, my voltage slider and power limit slider in MSI Afterburner will be unlocked? If not, how do I go about doing that?

33 minutes ago, TrojanTheGod said:

Hey, thanks for this. Amazing explanation. So am I right in saying that once I do this, my voltage slider and power limit slider in MSI Afterburner will be unlocked? If not, how do I go about doing that?

If the re-flash doesn't work for you, the putting the laptop to sleep part is crucial, do it for 10 seconds min

On 3/26/2016 at 9:00 PM, Ferkosza said:

So this is my detailed description how I managed to mod and overclock my GTX 960M in my Lenovo Y50-70. Please note: it is very dangerous to play with the BIOS, so you need to be very careful! I take NO RESPONSIBILITY for any damage or misuse of the information below! Use it AT YOUR OWN RISK!

-------

Necessary tools:

A. Fptw64 from Intel (9.5 or above)
http://forum.hwbot.org/showthread.php?t=75024

B. PhoenixTool (2.50 or above)

C. Maxwell II BIOS Tweaker (1.36)
https://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2562/maxwell-ii-bios-tweaker-v1-36/

How to flash Modded BIOS:

0. Flash the latest (3.03 now) official BIOS
1. From Windows, start 'cmd' as Administrator and read your your BIOS via Fptw64:
   Fptw64 -d BIOS.ROM -bios
2. Reboot, enter your BIOS and check "Enable downgrading BIOS" feature (we need to downgrade first in order to flash the modded BIOS)
3. From Windows, downgrade to 1.13 (this is necessary because the newer BIOSes have protection against mod-ding)
4. After reboot & reflash, start Windows, then enter standby, wait a bit, then wake up the machine
5. Create your modded BIOS, see separate list below
6. Start 'cmd' as Administrator and write your _modded_ BIOS via Fptw64:
   Fptw64 -f BIOS_MODDED.ROM -bios

How to create modded BIOS (point 5 above):

5.1 Start PhoenixTool.exe from Phoenix Tool 2.50 and open your previously saved original BIOS.ROM from point #1 above
 .2 The tool analyses it and shows some messages, click OK
 .3 Now you can find your vBIOS in the "DUMP" subfolder in the folder containing your BIOS.ROM, with the file name:
    BE13645B-2C2C-44D2-A64F-0EA052C34597_1796.ROM
 .4 Create your modded vBIOS, see separate list below -> let's call it 960M_OC.MOD
 .5 Click on "Structure"
 .6 Open "EFI BIOS" tag
 .7 Open second "File Volume {7A9354D9-...}" tag
 .8 DXE Core -> Compressed Section -> Raw section -> File Volume {7A9354D9-...}
 .9 In the very long list, find the following tag (usually displayed at around 80% of the list):
    Freeform {BE13645B-2C2C-44D2-A64F-0EA052C34597}
    This is the item containing the latest vBIOS
 .10 Open the tag, then "GUID defined section", then click on Raw section. "Internal number" (in the top right corner) should be 1796 for BIOS 3.03.
 .11 Click on "Replace" and select your modded vBIOS (called 960M_OC.MOD above)
 .12 Click exit "Exit" and say Yes to "Save changes?"
 .13 Close the Phoenix Tool; now you should have your BIOS.ROM updated (the original will be saved as BIOS.ROM.OLD for safety)

How to create modded vBIOS (point 5.4 above):
Use Maxwell II BIOS Tweaker to change BE13645B-2C2C-44D2-A64F-0EA052C34597_1796.ROM;
5.4.1 Open the ROM
   .2 Change "Boost Clock" on "Common" tab to the new boost-ed maximum value
   .3 On "Boost table" tab, use the slider in the right bottom corner to increase your max boost-ed value to the same number
   .4 On "Boost states" tab, at P00 profile, change the MAX values in the GPC, L2C and XBAR fields to the same max boost-ed value
   .5 Save your modified BIOS and rename it to 960M_OC.MOD

(My boost-ed max value was 1359 MHz. I could then use MSI Afterburner's software tuning -> my 960M could reach 1454 MHz without voltage increase.)

Is it meant to say PDR and GBE Region doesn't exist after I execute the command to flash? All the processes after are successful, but my new clocks don't apply. Help?

Alright, my modded BIOS doesn't change anything apart from the BIOS version and features. It doesn't change my default clocks to the new ones I set, nor does it unlock any MSI Afterburner sliders. Here is my BIOS backup: http://rgho.st/7V9BhGhXJ Plz can someone unlock the advanced menu and/or the sliders in MSI Afterburner. I will be eternally grateful. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, i'm on this boat too xD

I have a Lenovo Y50-70 with 4720hq and 860m maxwell 2gb, and i wish i can flash a non whitelist bios to upgrade my wlan card and the possibility to overclock over +135mhz the video card.
Can someone help? :)

ty!

• Bios Modder
4 hours ago, Mune said:

Hi guys, i'm on this boat too xD

I have a Lenovo Y50-70 with 4720hq and 860m maxwell 2gb, and i wish i can flash a non whitelist bios to upgrade my wlan card and the possibility to overclock over +135mhz the video card.
Can someone help? :)

ty!

Send me your file backup of bios in PM. I'll look it.

Hi Guys!

I also have a little problem with my Y50 UHD model (4710hq, 860m 4gb). The CPU doesn't enter c6 and c7 power saving state so the battery only lasts for like 2 hours maximum. I have read that there might be some hidden settings in the BIOS to enable these power states. So I'm asking you guys, if you can help me unlock these options. I'm currently using the official v1.14 BIOS from Lenovo. I know this is not exactly the right thread to ask this but this is the closest I could find.

Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Fellas!
For a few days I was searching through the web for bios and vbios unlocking and came upon this site.So I have the Lenovo Y50 gtx860m i7 4710hq  and I was wondering if someone can help me with the unlocking the vbios so I can OC  properly ? I'm with the newest bios . Thank you in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, I just wanted to do a little update on the overclocking stuff. It's quite a big one this time ;) https://imgur.com/31rtEXV THIS ISN'T MY WORK, I'M USING A PREMA MODDED VBIOS COURTESY OF @Prema

One can use Clevo W230SD/Sager NP7339 vBIOSes (NOT SYSTEM BIOSES) with our Y50 (960M version), which means we can use Prema modded vBIOS extracted form his BIOS mod here: https://biosmods.wordpress.com/w230sd-np7339/

REMEMBER, THE FACT THAT IT CAN BE DONE DOESN'T MEAN IT'S SAFE OR SUITABLE FOR DAILY USE. FOR NOW IT'S A CRAZY EXPERIMENT THAT WAS FUELED BY DESPERATION AND IT HAS TO BE TREATED WITH CAUTION. EVEN PREMA HIGHLIGHTS THE FACT THAT THE VBIOSES SHOULDN'T BE USED ON DIFFERENT HARDWARE THAN THE ONE THEY WERE MADE FOR.

Tbh it didn't blow my laptop so far, but better safe than sorry. 

By using his mod you will gain unlocked core clocks, controllable voltage up to 1,2V and few other things.

The complete set of instructions (it's vague for a reason, so inexperienced people learn about the procedures before diving into it ;))

Spoiler

WARNING AGAIN: Seems like Clevo/Sager are using tighter timings on their 960M's VRAM, but almost all Y50's should be suitable for the mod. UPDATE: My VRAM was overclocked to +500 on stock, but I had to set it to 0 on this mod, even with +50 I get artifacts.

1. Download the file given in the previous link (again, credits to @Prema for making such an amazing mod, can't stress this out enough)

2. Extract W230SD34.PM using Andy's tool from MDL.

3. Now, make a BIOS backup of your laptop and extract the BIOS into a seperate folder.

4. Take C5D7EAAD-B218-482C-A909-E3B8CDB00E94_1109.ROM from the W230SD DUMP folder, rename it to BE13645B-2C2C-44D2-A64F-0EA052C34597_1796.ROM, put it into your laptop's BIOS DUMP folder and properly reassemble the BIOS also using Andy's tool(the tutorials are scattered around the internet, do a little research if you don't know what's going on).

5. Downgrade to BIOS v1.14, flash your modded BIOS and EC (for bios use DOS fpt and for the EC use DOS Flashit tool(put the tool and the file attached to the post on the DOS drive and right after flashing the BIOS, use:

flashit ec.bin /ec

6. Reboot, hopefully leaving your laptop in a working state :D

7. If everything works out and you want to gain full control over the silicon die, install MSI Afterburner.

8. In the Afterburner folder, add a file called MSIAfterburner.oem2 with this inside:

;OEM

[VEN_10DE&DEV_139B&SUBSYS_397817AA&REV_??]

VDDC_Generic_Detection = 1

9. Fire up Afterburner, in settings unlock the voltage mode and set it to third party.

10. Well, pray that it won't blow up.

SIDENOTE: You can unlock more undervolting with the .oem2 files(and much more stuff), it's easy to do, just google it.

ec.bin

Edited by Ultrax5
forgot to say that it's intended for the 960M version
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hi @Ultrax5 i also in need of modded BIOS & even modded VBIOS...... I know one of the person in this thread helped us tutorial on modded VBIOS & its very easy too... I would like the same like tutorial for the modded bios too... Since i need to disable core C states & Package C states of the processor(Cuz my processor is fine even with -95mv voltage offset on both the core & cache,But BSOD's on light load or on idle because the C states can push even further lower voltage & as a result i get BSOD,That y) through BIOS & also to increase DVMT memory to 256mb.... Can you help me bro... I know the most around the laptop & the ONLY thing that challenges me is the BIOS modding.... Can you help me bro :(

I myself have lenovo y50 860M 4GB

Thanks

Kamal

Edited by Kamalnath93

@EDk-TheONE

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/8322052

This is what's possible with a bit of voltage increase + overclock using MBT (if I remember correctly it was around 1500mhz core on this one).  Scores should be identical with the Prema modded BIOS - it's just a cleaner and more convenient solution.

EC is extractable from Lenovo BIOSes (the full ones on Lenovo website). I don't know how to mod it though, but I'm attaching it just to help people with 3.03 BIOSes and 1.14EC's.

@Kamalnath93

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, Ultrax5 said:

@EDk-TheONE

As far as I remeber I got it to 1480 core and 3005 mem clock at 1.87V. Anyway, it was only for the benchmark, these settings artifact heavily when used outside 3Dmark.

what is ur final stable setting when there is no artifact and the system has got no prob during running games or ur graphic driver wouldn't crash ????

would u pls do a bench with 3DMARK with ur stable setting?

much appreciated, it coz of the fact that i wanna do a comparison between my y50-70 (960m 2GB) with urs which i believe it's 4 GB varient.

5 hours ago, Ultrax5 said:

@iAchilles

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13106042

Settings for reference:

CPU:

OC'd to 3.8 Ghz single core/ 3.6 quad core. -80mV core, - 125mV cache, microcode v20 from June 2016.

GPU:

Core: 1401Mhz Mem: 3005Mhz.

thx

what software did u use for overclocking the cpu ?? didn't u hv any problem with throttling ?

2 hours ago, iAchilles said:

thx

what software did u use for overclocking the cpu ?? didn't u hv any problem with throttling ?

@iAchilles

i think you must see my interesting record:

http://valid.x86.fr/rgthxc

behtare farsi harf bezanim! :32_002:

@Ultrax5

i compared your currents bench the older one use driver 364.72 and new one use 368.69.

i think older driver give better overclocking.

Edited by EDk-TheONE
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, iAchilles said:

thx

I'm using ThrottleStop to do it. Throttling isn't a problem at 3.6Ghz, especially with undervolting, which substantially lowers the temps. Basically if you have temps that are good enough, throttling will only occur at 4.0+Ghz where you have to raise the voltage and VRM temp throttling kicks in. That's why I settled on 3.8Ghz.

@EDk-TheONE

The thing is I didn't really try overclocking it to extreme core clocks since I finally learned how to unlock the vBIOS properly(not just forcing the clocks with MBT). I don't think the drivers differ in overclocking, because I'm getting artifacts at the same clocks as before. 

Actually my modded one allows for a bit more voltage so probably I could get even more points in 3Dmark but it's just pointless if it's nowhere near my stable clocks.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Ultrax5 said:

I'm using ThrottleStop to do it. Throttling isn't a problem at 3.6Ghz, especially with undervolting, which substantially lowers the temps. Basically if you have temps that are good enough, throttling will only occur at 4.0+Ghz where you have to raise the voltage and VRM temp throttling kicks in. That's why I settled on 3.8Ghz.

@EDk-TheONE

The thing is I didn't really try overclocking it to extreme core clocks since I finally learned how to unlock the vBIOS properly(not just forcing the clocks with MBT). I don't think the drivers differ in overclocking, because I'm getting artifacts at the same clocks as before. 

Actually my modded one allows for a bit more voltage so probably I could get even more points in 3Dmark but it's just pointless if it's nowhere near my stable clocks.

would u kindly take some screenshot of ur ThrottleStop from different setting sections, so then i could be able to set my setting like yours (since im not really good at it as u are) ..... i wanna get the best possible OC for our Y50-70

much appreciated .... that would be kind of u

18 hours ago, Ultrax5 said:

@iAchilles

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13106042

Settings for reference:

CPU:

OC'd to 3.8 Ghz single core/ 3.6 quad core. -80mV core, - 125mV cache, microcode v20 from June 2016.

GPU:

Core: 1401Mhz Mem: 3005Mhz.

u say oced to 3.8 but ur info in 3dmark page says other thing :

Maximum turbo core clock
3,696 MHz

@iAchilles

Dang, you got me. I lied about the frequency, thought nobody will notice :<

I'm joking obviously. I never understood how 3dmark calculates the max turbo freq, but in reality the max turbo clock is set to 3.8Ghz.

I've also attached some screens of my settings in TS as you asked before. I've changed my cache undervolt to -100mV instead of -125, because it crashed one time and undervolting cache doesn't really help that much.

Just wanted to say - my settings won't give you maximum overclocking - my setup is designed to be quite balanced, so I'm conservative when it comes to CPU stuff.

To get the most out of your CPU you should downgrade your microcode to 01,02 or remove the microcode updates completely, and then use TS to raise the voltage and overclock to insane freqs. Yet to my way of thinking without extra cooling it's pointless because the temperatures shoot through the roof when going over 4ghz and it requires insane amounts of voltage.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

• Thumbs Up 1

@Ultrax5

lol i didn't mean u were lieing or sth, just thought u maybe wrote mistakenly :)

Thx a lot for the screenshots ...

btw in TS havent u done any setting over the TPL or C7s sections ? coz still when i run a TS bench the FID can not reach to x38 at full load even with the undervolting as ur screenshots suggest. and this is due to the fact that CPU throttles (reason: PL2 which i suppose this a power limit throttling) maybe u hv changed ur Microcode which i dont hv a clue what it is :D

PS. at FULL LOAD the highest FID gets is x32.4 for me

how about ur GPU have done any undervolt and overvolt experiment ?

Edited by iAchilles

@iAchilles

If the battery is at 100%, the CPU can reach 58 Watts, so that allows for 3.6Ghz@all cores. You can try setting core VCCIN to 1.75V and using PowerCut, that will allow for any multiplier because it wil hack the power reporting, so it won't trigger PL1 or PL2. Anyway, the setting doesn't stick after reboots and is basiccally a huge hack, so use it with caution. C7s section can be helpful in getting more battery life, and TPL is only needed when you overvolt your CPU.

I've tried undervolting the GPU on Clevo vBIOS and I've managed to get it to 1.09V(minimal voltage allowed). The max overvolt limit on the other hand is 1.2V, but it didn't really help me much, because after certain frequency my GPU starts erroring out in OCCT and no overvoltage helps it. Doesn't matter if on my modded vBIOS or the Clevo one, it just hits a hard limit of the GPU silicone quality itself. I still don't know how to unlock undervolting using my modding knowledge (I only know how to unlock core clock slider + voltage up to 1.2V).