Reset loop EGPU - 13'' 2014 Mac Pro + LeadTek Hurricane GTX 970

Macbook Model: 13'' 2014 Mac Pro - i7 3.0ghz, 8gb Ram

GPU Model: LeadTek Hurricane GTX 970

External: Thunderbolt 2 Akitio chassis

Power Supply: DA-2 Dell 220W, modified pci-e split with dc barrel, paper clip trck

Operating System: Windows 10 Home

Hey guys,

I have finished building my egpu using Dschijn's guide, however I'm experiencing a few problems and would like your expertise or input in pinpointing the problem. The problems I am experiencing are:

• Windows would go in reboot loop each time I start up with my egpu on. Once I disconnect the egpu, windows logs in fine.
  • When I sometimes do successfully log onto windows with the egpu, the device manager in windows reports that my egpu is detected and is working fine. No system errors are reported from the device manager
  • Once I do start up a game or a benchmark test, the software would freeze or crash immediately.

What I've troubleshoot so far:

• I've installed multiple versions of the Nvidia display drivers. From 350.12, the latest driver 361.43 as well as drivers from windows 7 and 8. They've all installed fine. However, end up with the same reset loop error, or freeze/crash when starting a game.
  • I've tried installing windows 7 with different drivers. Same result.
  • I've modified the gpu by removing bolts, chassis and sawing metal pieces, so that it can fit in the PCI-E slot nice and slugly. Same result.
  • I've tried using an HDMI cable to connect to an external monitor. Same result.

What I can conclude:

• Is not caused by optimus mode
  • Is not due to the GPU being misplaced. I've made sure the gpu is fitted in tight and snugly
  • Because windows can detect my hardware, perhaps the GPU and akitio chassis is not faulty.
  • GPU fans, akitio LED and internal fans are working fine.

I would appreciate some input/advice as to where in my setup went wrong.

Regards,

06187 or call me 'Numbers'

Edited by 06187

• 1 month later...

In regards to the reset loop, I followed someone's advice (I can't remember who) and did the following:

1. Turn on MacBook while holding the 'option button'. You will load into a screen where it prompts you to boot Windows or OS. Make sure egpu is off

2. Wait for 3 to 5 seconds

3. Turn on egpu

4. Wait for 3 to 5 seconds

5. Select and boot into Windows or OSX.

Edited by 06187

• 2 years later...

Hi, I have a problem with my eGPU. The problem is that when my computer boots up with eGPU connected to it at login menu when I type in my password it starts to load and at certain moment loading bar stops and I get an error message and it happens all over again, sometimes as I have noticed the loading bar doesn’t fill up at all it just stays empty and computer also restart and throws away an error message.

The equipment I use is :

1. MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

Processor : 2,7 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory : 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics : Intel Iris Graphics 6100 1536 MB

Thunderbolt 2 port

SSD capacity : 120 GB

Version 10.13.6 High Sierra

2)  21:9 Curved UltraWide Monitor 34UC97

21:9 Curved QHD

Flicker-Safe IPS DISPLAY

SRGB OVER 99% / 10-bit-colour via Display Port

THUNDERBOLT™ 2 / MAC® COMPATIBLE

Wall Mountable (100x100)

ENERGY STAR® QUALIFIED

More info about this monitor can be find here if needed : https://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-34UC97

3)  AKiTiO Thunder2 PCIe Box

More info about it can be sound here if needed : https://www.akitio.com/expansion/thunder2-pcie-box

4) GPU : Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Mini ITX Overclocked 4GB GDDR5 PCiE Video Card GV-N970IXOC-4GD

More info about it can be sound here if needed : https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N970IXOC-4GD#ov

5) Power supply : Corsair RM 650

More info about it can be sound here if needed : https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Power/rm-series-config/p/CP-9020054-NA

As far as I have noticed when I had Mac OS El Capitan and used Automate-eGPU.sh script from this

link : https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/7989-script-automating-the-installation-of-egpu-on-os-x-inc-display-output/    It used to work pretty good but that was years ago, even now if I install Mac OS El Capitan and run this script it wont detect my eGPU from first attempt, even if it detects it and install the script the computer might freeze on dark grey screen just after the restart. I used to turn off computer completely then and turn it back on and sometimes it helped to start eGPU.

Later on I updated my Mac OS El Capitan to Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 and automate eGPU script both from *********** and technoinferno.com used to work. I could turn computer on and off and eGPU was working all the times. But after few hours when I decided to turn on my computer it all just refused to work, at login menu after typing in the password the loading bar was just freezing and rebooting and giving me an error message. I’ve had same errors both with Mac OS Sierra and Mac OS El Capitan. Right now I am using Mac OS High Sierra version 10.13.6 and I used many scripts such as Automate-eGPU version 1.3, purge wrangler.sh. With purge wrangler.sh script I used function “Enable NVIDIA eGPU” and after that rebooted the seestem through purge wrangler script, and again nothing seemed to work. Had same errors, the loading bar was loading up a little (about 25%, sometimes it used to load up to 50% approximately) and whole system was restarted again and again. I hope anyone could tell me what to do to make it all work well, please help me. Thanks!

Basically same problem as you have guys my Mac just reboots itself and I don't know why, please help. thanks!