Looking for users of RADEON HD 6970M and 6990M

Mumak

Guys, I want to improve the recognition of 6970M / 6990M and AMD doesn't make this easy (uses the same IDs)..

So I need your feedback - if you have such a card, please post here which one (6970 or 6990) and the corresponding Hardware ID reported by HWiNFO32/64 under GPU (like: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6720&SUBSYS_04A41028&REV_00).

My 6970m is momentarily a FirePro M8900, but it gets reported as :

"Video Card: ATI RADEON HD 6970M (BLACKCOMB XT/PRO) [DELL]

The ID string is: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6720&SUBSYS_04A41028&REV_00

But GPU-Z reports it as a FirePro:

2374d1316544744-m8900-gpu-z.jpg

I see that HWiNFO als reads out the VBIOS version, since they're different for each card (6970m 6990m, M8900) you might be able to differ between them by comparing the VBIOS version. Of course there are also different VBIOS revisions for the same card, but I might be able to help in case you decide to do it this way, I have quite a couple of different 6970m VBIOS versions, as well as some of the 6990m. And you can find a lot of them by looking at benchmark screenshots.

Thanks. What version of HWiNFO do you have (you posted a GPU-Z screenshot)? Later ones should properly recognize your card as FirePro.

I think it might be possible to properly distinguish the models using Subsystem IDs, I just need more reports from different cards.

Thanks. What version of HWiNFO do you have (you posted a GPU-Z screenshot)? Later ones should properly recognize your card as FirePro.

I think it might be possible to properly distinguish the models using Subsystem IDs, I just need more reports from different cards.

Oh, you might be right... it's not the latest version. I'll install it, check again and let you know.

Thanks guys. So not even the subsystem ID can be trusted to distinguish 6970 from 6990 (Michael and Jimbo have the same ID on different cards) :(

Edited by Mumak