Msi 880m overclock help!

HotPantsHenry

I made a topic in the wrong section, so just look at my account and choose the only other topic (not regular to these forums) 

In a nutshell, i successfully installed a liquid cooling system to my 880m sitting in a MSI GT60-0NC.

I know these cards are notorious for overheating and not getting the performance it can put out. 

This is where my project comes into play. 

I just got the modded vBIOS for the card, and was wondering who all wanted in on the project and give advice to push this card to its absolute limits!!

Temps without modded vBIOS

IDLE:27c

LOAD:42C-48C (4hr gpu stress) 

I work 8-5 central time so i might not reply soon but rest assured i will check regularly!

Thanks! 

• Founder

Cool look forward to seeing what you had to do to get it up and running. And I see your other thread is getting attention in the general area so you might want to put a link there to this thread. 

12 minutes ago, Brian said:

Cool look forward to seeing what you had to do to get it up and running. And I see your other thread is getting attention in the general area so you might want to put a link there to this thread. 

It was multiple hours of trial and error with the RED/GREEN mod with zip ties, but the holes for mounting on the card had a smaller circumference than the antec water block. So after a while, knowing i had really no other route, i just half assed put electrical tape with considerable amount of pressure being applied, it stuck, and now it works. Who would've thought? posting temp pic soon!

Here is a quick picture of temps here. 

Idle always is 27C (which i am proud of!)

Load was used on Skyrim @1920x1200 all settings ULTRA with  AA@8x and AF@16X and FXAA enabled.

Mouse cursor shows temps at that current time. 

I would use Furmark if it didn't decide to start crashing on me after the win10 update. ;-;

If you want me to use a specific program for benching/stress temp then feel free to tell me!

LOAD.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder

6 minutes ago, HotPantsHenry said:

Here is a quick picture of temps here. 

Idle always is 27C (which i am proud of!)

Load was used on Skyrim @1920x1200 all settings ULTRA with  AA@8x and AF@16X and FXAA enabled.

Mouse cursor shows temps at that current time. 

I would use Furmark if it didn't decide to start crashing on me after the win10 update. ;-;

If you want me to use a specific program for benching/stress temp then feel free to tell me!

LOAD.jpg

I think a good stress test would be a game like GTA V or even Rainbow 6 Vegas (if you have it). Given the age of the GPU, any of these new games should stress it enough to cause utilization to spike consistently. Those temps are pretty great, now you just need a way to miniaturize that water cooling setup :) 

15 minutes ago, Brian said:

I think a good stress test would be a game like GTA V or even Rainbow 6 Vegas (if you have it). Given the age of the GPU, any of these new games should stress it enough to cause utilization to spike consistently. Those temps are pretty great, now you just need a way to miniaturize that water cooling setup :) 

I can't afford that at this time but i will purchase it. I have the witcher 3 though, will that work? 

• Founder

Yeah witcher 3 should work fine if you turn up the gpu settings. Don't try Furmark, you have an old GPU and it can still kill it even with water cooling as it pegs it at 100% constantly and it doesn't look like your VRMs are cooled.

Guilty as charged on that one. 

Furmark either crashes the driver or freezes my system. 

Thanks for the tip! 

Once i am back home, i'll do a static test (my term of staying in one place with as much going on graphically as possible.) outside of starting area. 

On another note, i tried 3DMark and it used my intel hd graphics so i won't be using that xD 

• Thumbs Up 1

UPDATE:

It seems that windows 7 was always a better choice than windows 10.

I've been fighting drivers for a while. 

The newest driver has made games switch to integrated graphics (yes, i know about forcing NVIDIA GPU), so I am trying out different drivers to see what driver will work.

on another note, the old driver i used had multiple video_tdr_failure crashes to start with, so here goes to show the real challenge will to be finding the driver that will hit the "sweet spot"

Nearly had a dead card as well. Apparently this card does not enjoy more voltage than intended. I had SEVERE artifacts that would not go away until i rebooted. 

I will eventually get this setup working without a hitch, but it's all trial and error. This laptop was never even meant to have this card as a configurable option, so this is all trial and error.

• Founder

Get an IR gun and point it at the VRM when you introduce voltage and see how hot they get. And I agree, Windows 10 drivers still need work compared to the proven Windows 7 ones. Since DX 12 isn't really relevant yet, there's no reason to move to Windows 10 which is riddled with privacy issues. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
2 minutes ago, HotPantsHenry said:

10 had promises, then it was released. 

Isn't that Microsoft's modus operandi? They develop a product with a lot of promise and then ruin it: Windows Phone, Windows 10, Xbox One.

• 2 weeks later...

I woke up to seeing my post featured on the main page! 

Thank you everyone! 

Just for this, I'm reviving all of this and putting the WHOLE project into a portable unit and sharing the WHOLE progress with you all! 

It will be a couple of days unfortunately, since over here in texas we've been hit pretty hard and I'm currently stuck in a town but I will get this rocking and rolling and ready for your viewing pleasure soon! 

3 hours ago, RODBORA said:

Amazing project!

Very nice. The first working WC in a notebook I ever seen.

Can you publish some more pictures?

Congratulations! Your project is in the main page of the website!

Yes I will shortly! I am stuck in a town due to weather here in texas, but I will have more pictures and updates soon! 

• Thumbs Up 1