eGPU Window 10 optimus mode problem

HakureiReimu

• 1 month later...
hi,

After some helps from nando and searched various related threads i was able to setup my egpu GTX 780 Ti but games kept running with iGpu, i want to run with my internal LCD display (external monitor running fine)

i've read that optimus might not work with windows 10,my specs:

Alienware m17x r4 bios version a13

intel i7 3630qm

Igpu : intel HD 4000

dgpu gtx 680m

egpu gtx 780 ti

ram 8gb

windows 10 x64

turned off dgpu in setup 1.30, pci compaction and chainloaded into windows all fine

i've installed nvidia desktop driver v355.82 x64, since my bios doesnt allow idpu to be turned off, i set default graphic processor to gtx 780 ti but performance still the same as if running on igpu ( <10 fps)

i tried to disable the igpu in device manager but it seems the internal is attached to the igpu so that would not help.

should i install another specific driver to get my games running on egpu?

Please help me ,thanks

Extend your desktop out to the external LCD attached to the eGPU. Then start your game on there and it will be rendered AND displayed to the external eGPU-attached LCD. Performance should be much better than the iGPU unless the game/app is bandwidth limited.

Extend your desktop out to the external LCD attached to the eGPU. Then start your game on there and it will be rendered AND displayed to the external eGPU-attached LCD. Performance should be much better than the iGPU unless the game/app is bandwidth limited.

yea that went fine as expected, just that i only wanted to use the internal display despite the performance cut,hate to stick around with a monitor :D

I got this problem too (ext gdc beast, when it dOES get detected...)

Driver installs fine, my internal dgpu is disabled.

but even if I set in nvidia settings to use nvidia gpu... if I don't actually connect a monitor to my gtx 950 card the performance is from the intel gpu. proven because my gtx 950 load is 0% and it's running at 30C with fan OFF (it stops automatically after like 10 minutes, then starts again when the card gets hotter)

I think the cable from GDC is bad... but that's a seperate issue from this.

optimus with external card not working in windows 10. I don't have windows 8 or 8.1 to try... maybe will try on a new harddrive later.

I had the same problem. (macbook pro early 2011 13'' + ATikio + Windows 10)

The eGPU runs just fine under Mac OS X. It just won't work in windows.

It that possibly because I didn't install windows under EFI mode? (I didn't figure out how to make the windows EFI installed on the second SSD, so I chose to have a MBR installation)

I have an early 2015 Macbook Pro 15" with Intel Iris graphics only and I am not able to get optimus GPU switching to work in Windows 10 and win7 will not install on my USB SSD disk. I have tried reinstalling many times, tired all kinds of drivers and I simply can not get it to use my GTX980ti instead of the Intel iris integrated one in games using the internal screen. Only way to get games to use my GTX980ti (or GTX960) on the internal screen is to start running on external monitor only. After it has started on the external monitor with eGPU it is possible to activate mirrored mode with horrible performance loss on the laptop screen (looks like I get 10-20fps even if fps counter say 60-80fps). A better way is to run the game is in window mode and spanned monitors dragging the game to the internal display monitor. Doing it that way I get much better picture rates (looks like 30-40fps).

Having to start all games on a external monitor defeats the whole purpose of having an eGPU with a laptop as you must bring with you a huge monitor on travel just to get it started... Have been looking into programs running a virtual monitor to get the eGPU believing it has a monitor attached so I that I at least can get it running but have had no luck this far findings such a program (only find people with the same problem looking for it).

There is lot of people with original dual GPU laptops (Intel and Nvida) having similar problem also complaining that optimus is not working and they never get it to use the Nvida GPU in games. Problems with optimus seems to be with all windows versions but win10 seems to be totally bonkers...

I also have an additional problem that my Intel Iris graphics causes 100% CPU usage on CPU-0 (with system interrupts) all the time resulting in CPU overheating (85-90 Celsius at idle) and only way to stop it is putting my laptop in sleep and waking it up. But when I install an eGPU sleep does not work and only way to stop it is disabling Intel Iris graphics. This problem have been around for 2-3 years on all brands of laptops with Intel graphics. No one have come up with a solution that works for all and Intel just pretends the problem does not exist while many laptop owners is unaware of the reason for their computer getting hot and having short battery life...

Optimus problems with Win10 have been reported to NVidia themselves: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/860554/geforce-mobile-gpus/windows-10-and-optimus/post/4650966/#4650966 . A user claiming that the 350.12 Win8.1 driver (!!) was the last to allow Optimus to work.

Can anybody affected by this issue please test and report their results with the 350.12 driver?

• Thumbs Up 1

Optimus problems with Win10 have been reported to NVidia themselves: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/860554/geforce-mobile-gpus/windows-10-and-optimus/post/4650966/#4650966 . A user claiming that the 350.12 Win8.1 driver (!!) was the last to allow Optimus to work.

Can anybody affected by this issue please test and report their results with the 350.12 driver?

wow great info !

ASAP

I've try uninstall 355.60 and install 350.12

and this result is be...

post-34411-14495000922286_thumb.jpg

that's running the game ! :)

But my pcie gen 2 just downgrade automatically to gen1 x1 2.5 GBps sadly :(

post-34411-14495000922805_thumb.jpg

post-34411-14495000921293_thumb.jpg

post-34411-14495000921782_thumb.jpg

@gharimanto, have you tested other games. Last time I tried 350.12, my gtx 960 only works on mass effect 3. all the other games doesnt work

any game u have.

Okay.

this list of the game that I've tested :

Mad Max

GTA V

LA Noire

DOTA 2

L4D2

Borderlands 2

Garry's Mod

FIFA 16

Rocket League

Battlefield 4.

But Only Cities Skyline has much lag to running on my internal display

Hi,

I've tried to install that 350.12 but I get black screens and driver stops.

I went back to windows 8.1 + latest NVidia drivers and the system works like a charm.

Windows 10 = crap

did you use DDU uninstaller to erase latest driver before installing 350.12 ?

I recommend it

did you use DDU uninstaller to erase latest driver before installing 350.12 ?

I recommend it

No I didn't! :24:

But.... anyway... windows 8.1 is working flawless with latest drivers. Its just confirming windows10 is not yet stable.

I believe I will keep windows 8.1 until dx12 games arrive next year. There are no gains to move to windows 10 at this moment.

But I still have my windows10 in image (acronis dump). So, I can recover it... but I think its useless at this moment. Its something I will just try again next year.

Windows 8.1 just worked straight forward with all the latest drivers to all components.

anyway, many thanks for the alternative! I will point that DDU

I believe I will keep windows 8.1 until dx12 games arrive next year. There are no gains to move to windows 10 at this moment.

There look to be losses in going up from Win8.1 to Win10. Preliminary testing suggests the important Optimus features - accelerated internal LCD mode AND x1 PCIe compression are both broken. The latter only really an issue if playing DX9 apps/games. The former means a broken implementation unless have an external LCD.

Will be loading Win8.1 on a test machine to validate these preliminary findings.

Anybody with a x1 mPCIe or EC link + Intel HD (or better) + NVidia GTS450 or better with dual boot Win8.1 and 10 can confirm in the meantime. Just load the latest desktop driver and do a 3dmark06 on the internal LCD screen to confirm both accelerated internal LCD mode and x1 pci-e compression. If the result is < 10k then one or both are broken. If the eGPU's fan don't increase speed to indicate it's under load then the internal LCD mode is broken.

There is also the possiblity that any newer driver than 350.12 has broken these features so if Optimus is broken on Win8.1 with latest driver, revert back to 350.12 and test again.

There look to be losses in going up from Win8.1 to Win10. Preliminary testing suggests the important Optimus features - accelerated internal LCD mode AND x1 PCIe compression are both broken. The latter only really an issue if playing DX9 apps/games. The former means a broken implementation unless have an external LCD.

Will be loading Win8.1 on a test machine to validate these preliminary findings.

Anybody with a x1 mPCIe or EC link + Intel HD (or better) + NVidia GTS450 or better with dual boot Win8.1 and 10 can confirm in the meantime. Just load the latest desktop driver and do a 3dmark06 on the internal LCD screen to confirm both accelerated internal LCD mode and x1 pci-e compression. If the result is < 10k then one or both are broken. If the eGPU's fan don't increase speed to indicate it's under load then the internal LCD mode is broken.

There is also the possiblity that any newer driver than 350.12 has broken these features so if Optimus is broken on Win8.1 with latest driver, revert back to 350.12 and test again.

Thinkpad x230 i5-3320M, 8G Ram, HD4000, GTX960 2G

all nVidia drivers > 350.12 work perfectly on Windows 8.1 with Optimus feature enabled when using internal screen.

But they all broke on Windows 10. Games fail to be rendered by eGPU when using internal screen. Somehow, eGPU and optimus texture compression works when an extrernal screen is being used.

• Thumbs Up 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.