OFFICIAL: Alienware M17x-R2 Owners Lounge

Brian

Hello! I have the latest wi-fi driver for Windows 7 64 bits.

It is: Wireless LAN_Broadcom_5.100.82.135_W7x64_A (from driver agent).

Have you found other for Windows 8 64 bits? Thanks!

Edit: I have the Dell Wireless 1520 Wireless-N WLAN Mini-Card

I think that I have found it but I'm not sure.

File: Wireless LAN_Broadcom_6.30.59.20_W8x64UW8x86U_A

http://support.acer.com/product/default.aspx?modelId=3920

Most of the Win 7 X64 Drivers will work in Win 8,

the trick is not to install them,

just point the Device Manager's Driver Update Driver window to the directory where you saved your driver packages.

One exeption is the SD card reader,

the drivers were found that way

but for some reason action center kept telling me

I needed drivers until I donwloaded the one it suggest

and actually run the driver package.

It works fine even it the name is not right.

The worst one is the Dell Wireless Bluetooth MiniCard !

Most of the posted drivers on the Dell site will simply be rejected by Win 8

It doesn't even let you install them.

I have found this driver:

http://ftp1.dell.com/folder00865420m/1/

thanks to a post by natakuc4 on 27 Oct 2012 4:07 AM

on the Dell forum:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19462198.aspx

Once this is done, if you want the up to date driver,

you can run the Broadcom updater from this site:

http://www.broadcom.com/support/bluetooth/update.php

That's it,

If you had all the driver from

5150 Joker 's first post on this tread in your Drivers directory,

everything should be working fine !!!

hi guys i have a r2 with 5870 cross fire i want to flash a modded vbios to enable amd overdrive can i just uses the same bioe in both cards our i need a master and slave vbios ?? thanks

Yes, you can use the same BIOS for both.

• 2 weeks later...
[ATTACH]7517[/ATTACH] Guys im having random 0x124 code bsods attached the dmp file from minidumps folder just renamed it to .txt so it will upload can anyone check whats causing this

Are you running any sort of overclock/voltage tweak, if yes, disable and test. Also update your BIOS to the latest revision if you have not done so already.

• 3 months later...

FYI: The links at the beginning page are all no longer valid at Dell. I tried them all and except for the custom desktop, all came back as invalids. Looks like Dell finally retired the pages and can only be found with your service tag now.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently had a clean install of windows on m17xr2, and decided to install the latest AMD drivers from there website. After installing all other drivers, I run a benchmark to make sure everything is working fine. 3dmark vantage wouldn't even load, it gets stuck there "detecting hardware" or something similar. Tried different drivers, previous AMD releases, but seems like a no go.

Never mind, found the solution. Just uninstalled drivers, cleaned with driver fusion, installed dell drivers, and then latest ones from AMD's website, followed by CAP v11.5, all is good.

• 5 months later...

Hi, im officialy the owner of modded old m17x r2 with 940xm es processor and 7970m clevo gpu. Its working without problems so far and im planning to go even more and place second 7970m from clevo. Witcher 3 is coming out soon, so more power, more fun xD

Could anyone share with me what bus interface speed is running your gpu? Because mine runs x8 2.0 in games all the time, idle is x8 1.1 but here everythink seems to be ok.

I have installed a 8970M from a Clevo barebone P170SM (VBIOS BR44465.003).

Computer booted unfortunately without an LCD issue.

I flashed the VBIOS blind, with the version BR44618.001 (Non-Enduro VBIOS).

After a reboot, I have finally an output on the LCD screen.

I am on A10 Unlocked bios and fans are working auto.

I've done Prolimatech PK-3 Nano Aluminium thermal paste on the GPU cores, GPU memory chips and the inductors, Phobya Thermal pad Ultra 5W/mk on the MOSFETs.

Idle temperatures are 34° (GPU sensor), 32° (Dell sensor) at 1400 RPM (HWInfo64). Without HWInfo64 the fans go out at these temperatures and start at 55° again.

Alienware stands on a notebook cooler without a fan. icon7.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have my 8970M VBIOS changed with VBE7.

Undervoltage - works

Core and Memory Clock - works

PowerTune TDP Limit - works

Change of TDP - works

OCCT - no throttling

My changes:

Memory Clock: from 1250 MHz to 1350 MHz

TDP (W): from 81W to 94W

TDP limit: from 0% to 15%

Undervolt 850 MHz: from 1.025V to 1.000V

Undervolt 900 MHz: from 1.050V to 1.025V

Edit 1: OCCT - no throttling: only by increasing TDP (W) = 94W

post-1373-14494997366927_thumb.jpg

post-1373-14494997366587_thumb.jpg

post-1373-14494997366767_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Hi, im officialy the owner of modded old m17x r2 with 940xm es processor and 7970m clevo gpu. Its working without problems so far and im planning to go even more and place second 7970m from clevo. Witcher 3 is coming out soon, so more power, more fun xD

Could anyone share with me what bus interface speed is running your gpu? Because mine runs x8 2.0 in games all the time, idle is x8 1.1 but here everythink seems to be ok.

The R2 can only handle x8 2.0, but you wont notice any difference between x16 and x8, its around 2-3 FPS

Anyone have tried to use an 6970m with the r2? I have problems with overheating

i just upgraded from 6970m to 7970m and the temps are the same, 30° idle and 70° in BF4. 7970m has OC: Core 1010Mhz / Ram 1350Mhz + Liquid Metal from coolaboratory on the Chip and Phobya 0,5mm pads for Ram etc..

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I've managed to get the Dolby Home Theater v4 application working on our machines. If you need a change from the boring IDT control panel you can find the thread here.

Is it at all possible this would fix the white screen issue with some GPUs and the integrated audio? I'd totally test this out and let you know how it goes, but I'm going one step at a time here.

Also, can I shove these in the m17x r2 and get it to work, or is there a specific type/method to installing them? G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3L 1600 (PC3L 12800) Laptop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GRSL - Newegg.com

I'm slowly upgrading components on the thing, but I got stuck when I tried slapping in a 4GB GK104 860m (because **** IDT and whatever flaw causes it to whitescreen with some newer GPUs). Working that one in another thread, which is why I'm reluctant to try it out.

In all honesty, I love the 1200p glossy screen and colorful keyboard with a passion, but these upgrades are starting to get costly. For what it's worth, should I just upgrade to a new laptop? I'm considering an MSI or ASUS one off ebay with my budget (~$700). What are your opinions on this?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in response @Gibbynator. This is a driver mod so it's highly unlikely it will help alleviate what seems to be vBIOS incompatibilities which I assume you are experiencing before getting into Windows. Some CLEVO 7970M users experienced white screen issues but it was resolved by using a specific vBIOS.

I'm uncertain about the RAM, I haven't researched the upgrade as I dont really have use for more than 8GB at the moment. I do know most users that use 16GB on our machines are using Corsair Vengeance or Kingston HyperX. Bear in mind it will only run at 1333Mhz. If you are considering upgrading to gain gaming performance have a look at this article.

Asking me for my opinion is going to get you a very biased answer since I still think this is an incredible laptop especially considering its age and feature set and I honestly dont know what I would replace it with if it ever had to die on me.

That said, a lot of blood, sweat, tears, time and money is involved trying to keep it current. If you're not planning to install a 920/940XM and run Crossfire in the M17xR2 I would say upgrade to the most powerful single GPU laptop you can afford. Last I checked the 9X0XM's are going for around half your budget, so it might make more sense to purchase a proper single GPU laptop. Avoid the AMD CPU's though, they can hinder GPU performance.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry for the delay in response @Gibbynator. This is a driver mod so it's highly unlikely it will help alleviate what seems to be vBIOS incompatibilities which I assume you are experiencing before getting into Windows. Some CLEVO 7970M users experienced white screen issues but it was resolved by using a specific vBIOS.

I'm uncertain about the RAM, I haven't researched the upgrade as I dont really have use for more than 8GB at the moment. I do know most users that use 16GB on our machines are using Corsair Vengeance or Kingston HyperX. Bear in mind it will only run at 1333Mhz. If you are considering upgrading to gain gaming performance have a look at this article.

Asking me for my opinion is going to get you a very biased answer since I still think this is an incredible laptop especially considering its age and feature set and I honestly dont know what I would replace it with if it ever had to die on me.

That said, a lot of blood, sweat, tears, time and money is involved trying to keep it current. If you're not planning to install a 920/940XM and run Crossfire in the M17xR2 I would say upgrade to the most powerful single GPU laptop you can afford. Last I checked the 9X0XM's are going for around half your budget, so it might make more sense to purchase a proper single GPU laptop. Avoid the AMD CPU's though, they can hinder GPU performance.

Used hyper x myself for no other reason to say I it though I may sure I don't use it. I'm glad I never came across the white screen on my clevos

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Ah!! the last of the m17x r2 :logik:

It's still alive I haven't broken it yet have the 970m in it tested sli, rgb screen no workie, has anybody tried a 1060m in this thing cause I was thinking about testing it? Also on the look out for another 970m for sli I got a bum one off ebay sent it back, but hey sli worked in windows 7 I was working on windows 10 kinda but need a good card.

Edited by Ferrouswogg

• 3 years later...

Checking in during the COVID-19 pandemic :P

First post in this thread in 3 years...  Well I'm reviving my old m17x R1 and doing a mobo swap, 920xm, 8970m (from CFX 5870m), and RGBLED screen.

I'll post updates and some light guides.  Probably linking to a handful of things here as well :D