[POLL] 2016 and Beyond: What do YOU want?

• 2 weeks later...

Standards

All USB hdmi and other ports to the rear.

Remove VGA completely.

Mxm support even on the 13 & 14".

Thunderbolt 2 or 3

Everybody else's thoughts and wishes.

Especially the cooling.

I don't mind sanding down to a nice polished finish that is flat and sits very well, but not everybody as khenglish pointed out ,knows how to.

Oh and EXTENDED BATTERIES for those below 15.3" models.

Still awaiting mine for the w230 series laptops..... :/

I like some of the suggestions they make perfect sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I'd really love to see these features:

Thinner and lighter models (13.3/14” - <2.0kg, <30mm; 15.6” - <2.5kg, <30mm)

Desktop Skylake CPU (if mobile ones will be BGA) + DDR4

MXM graphic cards (MXM-A - 13.3/14”, MXM-B - 15.6”)

4 M.2 cards: 2 - SSD (x4+SATA/x2+x2), 1 - WiFi, 1 - 3G/4G

Thunderbolt 3 instead of VGA for eGPU (HDMI 2.0+DP+TB)

More capacious batteries

USB at the far part of case (near the lock, 1 - on the left, 3.0/3.1; 3 - on the right, 3.0)

Metal case like P65xSx

MacBook-like touchpad (optional)

NFC (optional)

Fingerprint reader (optional)

Quiet cooling system

Smaller PSU

RGB backlit keyboard (optional)

RGB-stripe IPS/IGZO screens only

Cursor keys moved like ThinkPads

miniTOSLINK/mini-jack combo

Hello,

An interesting thread coming from a clearly tech-savvy community, because most of you didn't mention all the user-friendly problems the clevos have:

Problems:

- Terrible sound quality, it's screeching, and had no bass. Sometimes when I'm listening to it, I feel like someone is blowing a dog whistle in my ears. It's a shame that a comouter that can get such great display doesn't get the same attention sound wise, I mean, I tried to de-solder them and even that wasn't easy!

- Terrible sound orientation: HEY! You guys decided to make it a laptop! I want to be able to watch movies in my bed! Put the sound out in the front!

- The Bios my computer came with was shit, i'm not afraid to say so, it actually deserves that, fans turning on to full power intermittently...etc y'all knwo what i'm talking about.

- Cooling isn't great, I'd rather have the laptop be a little fatter and have a bigger fan, slim isn't necessarily good, if it means waking everyone up.

- "It's all plasticky" This was once said to me, concerning the low quality of the plastic used around the screen, and I agree, I can push the screen's outer rim in an out with a simple touch because it's too flexible

- Low quality plastic grating outside the heatsink: Hey! I don't have anymore of that grating outside the heatsink because it all popped out in three months, the heat made it fragile!

- This is a BIG one! DO NOT PUT THE SLEEP BUTTON BETWEEN THE LOWER VOLUME AND MUTE VOLUME KEYS YOU BUNCH OF NITWITS§§§§§111§§1§1§1§1§!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Separate the fn volume and play keys from the rest, make them sleek, take lessons from mac on this.

Things that were well done:

- my machine is a beast for a 13' laptop. Power is good.

- The design is very sleek, no brands, no "HEY LOOK I GOT THIS". Modesty is excellence.

-The touchpad is allright, could do with some imporvement and maybe a metal surface.

- The mac inspired keyboard chicklet style keyboard is nice.

Otherwise, I wouldn't remove VGA like some other poster proposed, it still seems like HDMI isn't the all around standard.

Thanks.

This is from a friend of mine, who asked me to post his P570WM "successor" wishes:

- Thunderbolt

- special/ bigger heatsink for single GPU user

- internal USB

- better onboard audio!

- Functional Express card slot

@ALL would you want the P370SM-A refresh to be desktop or mobile CPU?

Prema, desktop CPU FTW in 17" body!!! But for using it in sli dual PSUs are a must. P377SM-A with 4910MQ and dual 980M can push up to 310-320W during 3DMark11, no overclock.

But the main problem remains with all 17" Clevo laptops - No IPS displays. They should work on that in the first place)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I would like:

- A P37xSM-A SLI successor with Skylake-S CPU (LGA1151 / X100 Chipset)

@INTEL: #Kill_Bill (Broadwell) and go straight to Skylake!

- A NON-OPTIMUS iGPU with a real MUX to entirely disable the PCIe MXM lanes

- At least one fully enabled non-crippled Thunderbolt 3 port that also allows for external desktop GPU support

- A full aluminium-alloy body with a non-bending LID

- Put some real sound-system in there AKA be the HTC of Notebooks

- Make sure the internal eDP has enough lanes to support any future 17" 4k/120Hz+ IPS-style screens

- Bring internal 3D back (I Love my 3D cam)

@NVIDIA: YOU killed mobile 3D >>> Get finally rid of your Notebook GPU 3D licenses scam and just allow it for all 3D enabled NVIDIA cards

- Not to force a too kiddy/gamer design to also appeal to business/pro-customer AKA an elegant, futuristic design

- Cooling, cooling, cooling!

- Let me do your BIOS ;)

- Let me do your BIOS

Yes please^^

- Bring internal 3D back (I Love my 3D cam)

But with polyfilter instead of shutter ;-)

For next Clevo P150-Laptop I want a BIOS with full HDD password support and the boot password must not be resettable via CMOS-Resett!

Yes, it should use Optimus, but WITH multiplexing!

And please add the following things:

- Trackpoint

- 4G/GPS-Modem

- Expresscard

- A switch to mute the microphone

- The keyboard's backlight should turn off, if the screen turns off

And please give the akku the same form like the DVD-drive and spend two identical slots, that can be filled with akkus, DVD-drives, harddisks or what ever.

There sould be an option, to get the upper side of the case built of metal or ceramics. And it was nice, if the laptop can passively cool itself by heading waste heat into the table board. Maybe for usual work it is possible not to need the fan.

Can we get a video input like the hdmi input on an Alienware laptop? :)

When I switched from an M18X R2 to my P377SM(Sager NP9377), that is what I actually miss.

Don't throw things at me for this, but maybe a glowing LED for the brand logo on the back of the lid. ;) I miss some of that bling too!

Even with these things I was used to, I love my laptop after the switch to a Clevo.

Dare I say think big... 20" screen? no? just me on this? okay :(

How about 3way Sli (fully MXM upgradeable design)?

5th gen i7 desktop cpu?

HDMI input as well as output? same for Display Port?

Remove that cd\dvd tray out (seriously, when did you last use that thing?)

Change battery design to one similar to Lenovo's "Battery Slice" (aka huge flat peace that sits under the laptop, with vent holes) but no need for more than 2hours worth of very basic semi-idle usage or 30min of hardcore gaming

Screen that matches the specifications of the EIZO gaming monitor? you know... the FG2421 (VA panel, 1080p, 240 Hz) and toss in G-SYNC

And as a alternative option have specs similar to the MG279Q (1440p, IPS, 120Hz with G-SYNC)

Both matte, maybe as a 3rd option also have an IPS 60 Hz without G-SYNC

come to think of it did anyone ever try to put the battery behind the screen? thus removing a heat source from the main area? (also freeing up space) I mean, as long as the screen holders are of superb quality and that the battery is either flat enough or low enough this shouldn't be an issue, right?

Take a look now for a moment on the traditional\stock design of the Geforce 980 desktop cooler's design: its a sort of a blower, sucks air from front, blows to back, what if you had two regular sized such cards (yes desktop 980) blowing hot air behind the laptop, taking air form under the laptop, separated by design from the desktop cpu that would be in the center [d.gpu][cpu][d.gpu], like.. how heavy would this have to be? 10kg? now granted, now power cord at the wall = only gpu working is the built in one that is found in the cpu, but ... just imagine a 20" 4K display and a solid frame rate that you can only have with desktop grade cards... yuummmy

Okay maybe I went too far ._.

• 3 weeks later...
Can we get a video input like the hdmi input on an Alienware laptop?

For ExpressCard slot, there exist so called HDMI capture cards. So please add ExpressCard.

And focus on a laptop design, that stays constant for many years, to make all parts upgradable, even the mainboard. With such a fixed design, it made sense to invest a bit more in the case and the Foxconn employee's income...

Remove that cd\dvd tray out (seriously, when did you last use that thing?)

Change battery design to one similar to Lenovo's "Battery Slice"

Why not building a laptop with two or three identical slots, that can be filled with akkus, dvd-drives, graphic cards, or what ever?

I wished the Clevo W355SQD would get a new model, which should be flatter (like to the P650SE) on size, being a metal/magnesium chassis, probably without DVD drive, but still containing only 1 fan. Would be a nicer midrange laptop.

For the gaming notebooks I wished they would build in synchronous dual fans (like MSI, Alienware do), e.g. for the P650SE. It's just that the fan behaviour is more convenient if both always run on the same frequency.

No other wishes so far.

Personally, next summer I am hoping for an update to the P570WM to include DDR4, PCIe4, dual sli, and support for Skylake-E and Xeon, with 4K 17" screen, and, depending on what size DDR4 sodimms will be out, support for 64GB or 128GB (basically a mobile server, since we already have DTR). With this, support for the new eDP 1.3 I believe it is which allows 4K at 120hz and 8K at 60hz, or any newer standard released between now and then. Obviously, the SLI support MXM or any new standard that is present at the time, so long as it provides for swapping out cards and updating. The external connections are negotiable (thunderbolt, DP) but a couple USB 3, an HDMI, esata. I am still holding out on whether it should have an optical drive. That depends how the P770ZM treats me. I do not need it slim, this is not just another desktop replacement. It is a mobile server capable machine!

I'd like to see a series 5 i7 notebook with a 4k or 120hz display, SLI, and at least two M.2 slots, and a multicolor illuminated keyboard. I'd want one in 15.6" model and another in 17.3". Though I wish companies would start making larger 4k displays, I'm not a big fan of a 15.6 inch or smaller notebook for gaming. Gaming notebooks should be 17.3" or larger.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Guest changed the title to [POLL] 2016 and Beyond: What do YOU want?
  • Guest pinned this topic
  • Guest unpinned this topic