[POLL] 2016 and Beyond: What do YOU want?

i have to agree, one of the most important things id like to see is an unlocked bios and NO vbios restrictions so future upgradeability is actually in terms with the PnP MXM form factor. why else would we have this, otherwise, right?

aside from that, theyre actually on a pretty good path at the moment with slimmer form factors and still max. performance at the same time, combined with sleek design, high-res displays and M.2 compatibility! :) @P6xxSx and P7xxZM series

I wish that there will be the choice like today (slim laptop with solder component and thick laptop (but if they can optimise, it could be great) with mxm Gpu that can be upgraded), because i don't like slim laptop where all is soldered to the motherboard.

If they can (but i think that this is more an intel choice), it will be cool to have non soldered cpu too.

My other wishes : more choice about the screen (FHD 120hz, or 3k or 4k ...), a better sound system and backplate, bottomcover that is more efficient to bring fresh air to the component like those of alienware or MSI GT72. If they can also offer some GPU upgrade kit for their last year model with bios/vbios support, i will be in Paradise... (but i think i'm dreaming).

And like others, the price must remain competitive ... (there is an economical crisis in France)

Dual BIOS chips to switch between for an easy fix if you brick it, nice for trying out BIOS mods too :D. Why not 1 extra EC chip too as it's a bit of work to fix a bricked EC..

No BGA CPU's, MXM standard GPU's even in the smaller models (might not be doable in very slim notebooks though).

Would be nice if they could manage to squeeze in an extra heat pipe on the heatsinks.

Only IPS display options 1080p and 4k (except 120Hz TN)

Better audio, internal and external

No more dvd-roms

At least MXM gpu, we know Sager does what Intel desires about CPUs, it could be soldered in the future with no options

Little more modern design to compete with AW, MSI, Asus, no more flashing logos on touchpads

Better materials, like brushed metal at least

No less than 210W for 15" hi-end laptops, 240W and 330W for 17" seems fine

Slimmer PSUs

Risky, but no HDD drives, couple of m.2 ssds with RAID option

Shareble HS for both CPU and GPU for single GPU machines with 3 slim fans (often CPU is way hotter the GPU)

If Skylake is around 100W desktop version than not much sense to make it work in 15"-17" laptops wthout overheats and thick design. So x99 18" with dual gpu seems like the only logic desktop cpu option, imho)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 2

1. Stop warping the heatsink die contact plates. I know to sand the plates to get excellent cooling, but 99.999% of users do not.

2. Have true MXM support so that future cards can work. I'm strongly considering MSI for my next laptop due to this problem.

3. CPU cooling designs since the HM series have allowed large amounts of air to be sucked back in due to the radiator extending below the motherboard. Either block this or rework the design to not have the CPU fan ontop of the motherboard. Preferably the latter.

4. Include a mux for the dGPU so that it can directly output to the display like on alienware systems.

5. Current backlit keyboards have a giant metal plate on the back that adds weight and thickens the laptop. Non-backlit models do not have it. Remove it.

6. Have smooth fan ramp up curves like what apple does. This will make the big fans seem much quieter.

• Thumbs Up 2

I want really a mini pc :-) = notebook format dimensions wise with the same options that clevo gives,just w/o keyboard and w/o display... the issue is that current mini/micro/you name-it pc are either too big (or wrong shape - I don't want a cube) or not powerful enough (for example only 1-2 SO-DIMMs instead of 4, etc)...

15.6" case with desktop CPU and SLI GPU MXM slots with full PnP compatibility.

Exchangeable casing, cooling and main board in a standard format, as in the PC microATX.

The (internal USB standard) exchangeable keyboard in the front, in place of the palmrest, with touchpad and the numeric block in one, as in the new MSI GT80.

Sucks air through the perforated palmrest and around the keyboar, from the top.

Monoblock heatsink for the CPU and GPUs graphene coated placed under the palmrest and keyboard.

One suction, centrally-rear located, axial fan with ceramic-neodymium bearings, magnetic coupling and two independent motors.

Case integrated power supply.

All external I/0 ports on independent and interchangeable boards.

Exchangeable QHD screen with a wide color gamut (> = 95% NTSC).

No ODD and HDD standard. mSATA/PCIe interface only.

2x EC/BIOS in one externaly programable chip. ;)

13,3' or 14' notebook with powerful MXM graphics and maybe aluminium body would be nice.

Ditto ala alienware 13 but a choice between GTX 980M and 970M in single MXM setup, a proprietary X16 PCIE dock connector for an optional eGPU add on FTW, unlocked CPU clocks and higher TDP capability.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

The P65X with a 980M 8GB, please? Gigabyte P35xv3 has a 980M 8GB, so I'm sure the Clevo can also get it (in the thin-ish frame). The cooling already looks great on the P650SE. So, the SG with 980M 8GB and I'll buy 2!

-Addon that replaces the normal back bottom cover (not the battery or hdd cover) that have bigger vents (whole cover should be a big vent) so that laptop coolers will actually work.

-Back cover clips and clip locks instead of screws (or screws that cant be completely removed when you loosen them up) so that ppl won't lose them when they are going inside.

-Addon for those who don't use the laptop keyboard but an external one that replaces or snaps on top of the laptop keyboard with a blank keyboard with no keys (except function key) or a square hole reveiling the function key .

-Fix for thunderbolt software keeping the cpu at a high usage level because it is buggy.

-Fix for thunderbolt software crashing when you switch users when the original user is still on.

-4 usb 2.0 ports on the front. 4 usb 3.0 ports in the back.

-Tron lights xD

-More keyboard light settings/patterns. Would prefer to be able to manipulate the color based on what program that's being ran on top.

-Matte Screens

-Internal 3D emitter

-Screen that supports side by side 3D, Interlace 3D, and normal 3D (optionally, also glasses free type screens).

-1080p webcam/1080p 3D webcam (so far, the webcams have been soooo horrible). If you're black, you may as well forget being able to be seen. Must include HDR Tech, High Dynamic Range, and/or High Ultrapixels.

-Harmon Kardon speakers

-Battery that isn't fused with the battery cover.

-Able to use desktop or laptop type processor.

-Everything internally upgradable being accessible only from one side of the machine (preferably the bottom).

-Fingerprint reader.

-Trade-In upgrade program for machines no older than 5 years.

-Higher HDMI

I really like the W230SS, except modified:

- Perhaps a 14" model

- Move the USB ports to the rear end of the laptop (along the sides still), not the front, and preferably most on the left side, not the right, and a USB port or two on the rear side if possible

- Internal USB port, for mouse dongles primarily, get it out of the way

- Eliminate the 2.5" drive bay and make a four M.2 bay with a heatsink of some sort to cool those puppies down

- Better speakers and speaker placement. The P650SE actually has decent sounding speakers and decent quality, but probably just because they're on top!

- MUX dGPU! Dump Optimus. Make it a manual switch with a reboot if needed. They did this in the old Asus N10Jc 10" netbook, don't tell me they can't do it in a 13-14" notebook

- Even though I have used the VGA port, dump it, and go with 1x HDMI and 2x mDP

- Improve cooling: more heatpipes, higher clamping force, and improve parallel alignment with the CPU and GPU, especially on CPU.

- Configurable fan profile

I really like the W230SS, except modified:

- Perhaps a 14" model

- Move the USB ports to the rear end of the laptop (along the sides still), not the front, and preferably most on the left side, not the right, and a USB port or two on the rear side if possible

- Internal USB port, for mouse dongles primarily, get it out of the way

- Eliminate the 2.5" drive bay and make a four M.2 bay with a heatsink of some sort to cool those puppies down

- Better speakers and speaker placement. The P650SE actually has decent sounding speakers and decent quality, but probably just because they're on top!

- MUX dGPU! Dump Optimus. Make it a manual switch with a reboot if needed. They did this in the old Asus N10Jc 10" netbook, don't tell me they can't do it in a 13-14" notebook

- Even though I have used the VGA port, dump it, and go with 1x HDMI and 2x mDP

- Improve cooling: more heatpipes, higher clamping force, and improve parallel alignment with the CPU and GPU, especially on CPU.

- Configurable fan profile

Definitely with the 14" model idea, but keep Optimus. Can't see why we would want to rid ourselves of it.

- Try for an inch or so thick with seperate cooling fans for the CPU and GPU

- Large battery with long running times. Sacrifice the 2.5" HDD if you have to.

- Don't waste space by making the laptop height disappear under the unit like in the W230S. Use that space for battery or slant the laptop at a few degrees for better ergonomics.

- Don't use a pentile display, but stick with IPS.

- Solder the CPU and GPU. It's not a popular idea, but it seems necessary for portability.

So basically:

14" FHD/QHD screen

Quad core i7

GTX x70M graphics

>70Wh battery

2x M.2 or mSATA

2 cooling fans with shared heatpipes between CPU and GPU

<30mm thick.

This is engineerable I believe.

• 3 weeks later...

P370EM with crossfired 7970m here.

I would simply love it if the heat related problems were dealt with :-

i) Seperate CPU from GPU to reduce the possibility of heat exchange

ii) Improve airflow by allowing for less restrictive air intake and exhaust vents

iii) Make available the drivers and updates from Clevo direct, once the reseller disappoints we have no one else to turn to, this is disheartning.

• Guest changed the title to [POLL] 2016 and Beyond: What do YOU want?
  • Guest pinned this topic
  • Guest unpinned this topic