Changing the CPU on a M14x to 2920xm?

Nekojin

Hi,

Currently I have a 2630qm processor in the m14x and I am considering to sell the whole thing and buy a m17x or m18x. If however nobody would be interested in buying it, I might consider upgrading the CPU.

Before doing so, I have a few questions, and hopefully you can help me :)

Does upgrading the CPU (eighter to 2860qm or to 2920xm) boost the performance in a way that I can see a difference?

Is the cooling system good enough or will I smoke the whole thing?

How difficult is it to upgrade the CPU (in general)?

Is there a way to lower the temperatures (like other thermal paste etc.)?

Where can I buy the processor?

Many thanks for your help.

//Edit//

Just saw that there is also a 2960

Edited by Nekojin

Hi,

Currently I have a 2630qm processor in the m14x and I am considering to sell the whole thing and buy a m17x or m18x. If however nobody would be interested in buying it, I might consider upgrading the CPU.

Before doing so, I have a few questions, and hopefully you can help me :)

Does upgrading the CPU (eighter to 2860qm or to 2920xm) boost the performance in a way that I can see a difference?

Is the cooling system good enough or will I smoke the whole thing?

How difficult is it to upgrade the CPU (in general)?

Is there a way to lower the temperatures (like other thermal paste etc.)?

Where can I buy the processor?

Many thanks for your help.

//Edit//

Just saw that there is also a 2960

I could be wrong so anyone can correct me but I think the most upgraded you can go is that 2860M the 2920xm and 2960xm require a lot of power... so I think they can only be put in an M17xR3 and an M18x R1. It is personal preference... m17x R3 and M18x r1 are nice system but so is the M14x which is much more portable. If you need a ton more power go with m17 or m18 but if you only need a little a cpu upgrade is best and much cheaper.

The 2920xm (or at least the "model 0" engineering sample) works in the M14x, but no overclocking support and temps at load are pretty high, rsomeone tried it recently, though to be honest it wasn't really necessary to test it... the heatsink is simply not sufficient for such a powerful CPU, the TDP is 10W more than the other i7 chips (at stock).

Best option for the M14x is a 2860QM, but whether it's worth it... it totally depends on what you do with your system. Generally spoken if you have to ask whether you need it, then you won't need it ;)

• Thumbs Up 1

The 2920xm (or at least the "model 0" engineering sample) works in the M14x, but no overclocking support and temps at load are pretty high, rsomeone tried it recently, though to be honest it wasn't really necessary to test it... the heatsink is simply not sufficient for such a powerful CPU, the TDP is 10W more than the other i7 chips (at stock).

Best option for the M14x is a 2860QM, but whether it's worth it... it totally depends on what you do with your system. Generally spoken if you have to ask whether you need it, then you won't need it ;)

Well in that case IMO I think it would be worth it for a 2860QM.