5960x Lower Idle Power Consumption

ReaverM1

I'm thinking of purchasing a 5960x for my multi purpose 24/7 server. I've been testing Wake On Lan with my current setup and it's not consistent in terms of always being able to wake up. So I rather just have it always running. My current server is an Intel i7 875k with an evga p55 sli motherboard. I have it idling at about 65 watts at the wall measured with a killawatt. So finally to my question. What's the best motherboard for both over clocking and saving power? Also what tips to lower power consumption other then under clocking and under volting ram and cpu? Is there any motherboard that can run less cores as needed with the 5960x? I plan on under clocking it very low and have a very high turbo boost.

Also what tips to lower power consumption other then under clocking and under volting ram and cpu? Is there any motherboard that can run less cores as needed with the 5960x? I plan on under clocking it very low and have a very high turbo boost.

Making sure that the low power C States are enabled in the bios and are working correctly is the best way to reduce power consumption. You can use RealTemp to check what C States are being used.

RealTemp T|I Edition

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0dpSo9k93jDZlpmbHNzeFlpcWc

When an individual core enters C6 or C7, the core is removed from the voltage rail so it is getting zero volts. It's internal clock is also stopped so that core is running at zero MHz. When C States are enabled and a computer is idle, individual cores can be spending 99% of the time in this state. Changing the MHz or core voltage is not going to make any difference because the CPU is already as low as it can go. Skylake CPUs use the new C8 C State for further power savings as more parts of the core go dormant when not needed.

Under clocking and using a high turbo boost is not necessary. With C States enabled, this is all taken care of by the CPU.

Under volting will help when the CPU has a load on it.

Here is an interesting paper about power consumption.

Power Optimization – a Reality Check

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~krioukov/realityCheck.pdf

Making sure that the low power C States are enabled in the bios and are working correctly is the best way to reduce power consumption. You can use RealTemp to check what C States are being used.

RealTemp T|I Edition

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0dpSo9k93jDZlpmbHNzeFlpcWc

When an individual core enters C6 or C7, the core is removed from the voltage rail so it is getting zero volts. It's internal clock is also stopped so that core is running at zero MHz. When C States are enabled and a computer is idle, individual cores can be spending 99% of the time in this state. Changing the MHz or core voltage is not going to make any difference because the CPU is already as low as it can go. Skylake CPUs use the new C8 C State for further power savings as more parts of the core go dormant when not needed.

Under clocking and using a high turbo boost is not necessary. With C States enabled, this is all taken care of by the CPU.

Under volting will help when the CPU has a load on it.

Here is an interesting paper about power consumption.

Power Optimization – a Reality Check

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~krioukov/realityCheck.pdf

Perfect Thank you so much for all the information. So I guess all I need to do is find a motherboard which most efficient in the the way c state is implemented in their bios.

Most motherboards from the major manufacturers like Asus, Gigabyte, MSI; should have options in the bios so you can toggle the various core and package C States on and off. The OEM motherboards that are installed in pre-built computers for the masses might not have any options like this available in the bios so it is always a good idea to do some hands on testing to make sure the C States are working correctly. Some Skylake motherboards might not be turning on C8 yet but things like this are usually fixed with an updated bios.

• Thumbs Up 1