GTX 980M or New Desktop

rocknarutoxx

Hi, I recently stumbled on a website and found a GTX 980m priced for about 700$ and I was thinking If I should get it to put into my Clevoo P150EM (i7 3630qm). Another option for me is to build a desktop from scratch. I would like to be able to player the latest games on high-ultra settings for the next 2 years, I also only have about 1000$ to spend. Which option should I go with?

Only upgrade if you need to have a laptop, otherwise enjoy GTX980 desktop build. I only just decided to finally get the gtx980m. The price is a huge factor. For only £200 more I could get brand new ready-built GTX980 system. On the other hand, it's a great upgrade, but, even after doing the upgrade I still can't justify the cost involved.

Just to be safe before spending money, check with @Prema or look on premamod.com and confirm 980M is compatible with P150EM. Probably is with his firmware mods, but best to check before spending $700 on a GPU.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be safe before spending money, check with @Prema or look on premamod.com and confirm 980M is compatible with P150EM. Probably is with his firmware mods, but best to check before spending $700 on a GPU.

The gtx 980m will work in your P150EM, but it could be a pein in the ass to make it work correctly with stock bios. The only bios with native support for the 9xxm serie is the one from Prema, but the version V3 (could only be given by Prema partners resellers or by Prema himself). Otherwise, you will need a modded .inf file for the drivers.

So like Stormyandcold said, upgrade only if you need to have a laptop. I will add that if you want to enjoy massive overclock, you will have to spend an extra 100$ on a 230 or 330W modded PSU.

• 2 weeks later...

I've always prefered to play on a desktop.

Gaming laptops are just so big/hot. And playing on a 27" screen is much better than on a 15"!

In addition, I have doubts on such little powerfull GPU quality. Will it last 5 years as my GTX 580 did (and it's still working), and I'm pretty sure that GTX 980m is more like a 970 desktop.

Normally, I would always choose a desktop over a laptop solely because the price to performance ratio for a desktop is much better than a laptop. That being said, if you only have a budget of 1000, I highly doubt you can build a desktop with a GTX 970 or GTX 980. At most, you might only be able to afford a GTX 960 (assuming you are getting a decent processor, i7 4790K, for example). Upgrading your laptop is going to be a pain as someone else has said above me.

I just jumped from 870M to 980M on my p150sma rather than buy a new desktop due to shipping concerns (I go west to east coast pretty often and prefer to have my main laptop with me) and I'm fairly satisfied. The value jump isnt good unless you intend to OC, for which you WILL need to do cooling mods. I had someone drill holes, install a fan, and improve airflow overall to help keep the 980m cool. If you can accomplish that, it can easily meet a stock. 980 desktop in performance. Stock cooling is not enough for the full power of a 980m

Its all the time depend from what you want, in my case buid desctop more easy and cheaper, but i travel a lot and laptop is more better in my case and more resonable.

I agree to pay more but in that case i get super powerfull and mobile gaming platform ;)

So its depend from you wishe's and request's.

• Thumbs Up 1