EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
roysvork

Clevo p150sm with 980gtx drawing too much power on battery?

Hi all,

I had pretty good success with my GPU upgrade a few months back, although at the same time I realised my battery was on it's last legs. I bought a replacement that I had to send back as it was faulty, but now I have got a working one and it's running very close to the edge in terms of power draw. If I run any heavy GPU benchmarks, or even max out the CPU for any length of time on battery it will just power off in an instant. It's doing this both on Windows and Linux (the latter with the nvidia card completely disabled).

I'm running Prema's Mods for both Bios and vBios. Is this something that other people have experienced? Shouldn't the power consumption be scaled back when running on battery just for this reason? Perhaps this is something the prema BIOS turns on/off, but I can't seem to find any other references to this.

Any ideas how to manage this? Thanks in advance,

Pete

Even on battery with dynamic mode selected on Clevo Control center, the power draw is too much for the battery: i've forgotten to plug the psu twice with my P150em (3920xm + 970m), i've ended the playtime twice with a sudden shutdown after few minutes and the most important, a battery very very very hot!

Don't play with your safety (and less important with your laptop), plug the beast when using power.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By pippocarlot
      Hello everyone! I am looking for an answer to a problem I cannot find a solution to ... I purchased an Amd wx 4150 MXM GPU module su e bay to upgrade my HP 8570W Mobile Workstation which is currently equipped with a Fire Pro M4000. Once the new GPU has been installed, the PC screen no longer turns on but works only with external monitors connected via the docking station. The same happens once the drivers are updated! If I put the old card back on, the integrated monitor starts working again ... How can I fix it?
    • By svl7
      Files contained in this archive:
      FTP-DOS.zip prr2.zip M18x R2 - BIOS A03 'unlocked.zip M18x R2 - BIOS A08 'unlocked.zip M18x_R2_-_BIOS_A08_-_[unlocked]_-_[IRST 11.0.6.1702].zip M18x_R2_BIOS_A03_-_[unlocked] - [IRST 11.6.0.1702].zip M18x_R2_BIOS_A09_-_[unlocked].zip [FPT]-M18x_R2_BIOS_A09_-_[unlocked].zip [FPT]-M18x_R2_BIOS_A10_-_[unlocked]_V2.zip M18x_R2_-_BIOS_A08_-_[unlocked].zip M18x_R2_BIOS_A03_-_[unlocked].zip  
      For information on how to use the files in this archive, see here:

My donation link in case you want to buy me a beer
    • By Radstark
      Title sums it up.

TL;DR: we have a Clevo that runs a desktop CPU, one with those huge 82 Wh batteries. We remove the GPU and let it use the CPU's integrated graphics. How much time for the battery to go from 100 to 0? Is it comparable to an ultrabook's?

I'm theorizing a mobile set with a static eGPU and an upgradable CPU. Given a hypothetical user that needs fast processing on the go and long battery life while retaining very high degrees of mobility, but at home wants a powerful machine to run most games, I guess that would be their best bet. It would surely be more convenient to keep everything in the same disk. And even though the thing would be quite heavy to carry around, changing CPU would be more cost-efficient than changing an entire laptop. (Not sure if I'm right here, and also I'm not sure whether the motherboard in a Clevo would be replaceable when the new CPU needs a different socket, which is another reason why I'm asking here.)

If my above guesses aren't correct, then an ultrabook with Thunderbolt and without a dedicated GPU would be a better choice. If they are, then we would be carrying more weight in exchange of a more cost-efficient setup, which I think would be a fair tradeoff.

Also I am aware of the heating problems that these laptops suffer from, at least compared to a desktop setup. Would they be solved by moving the GPU out of the chassis, and instead plugging it with an eGPU dock via Thunderbolt port?

What do you think? Is it doable? If not, why?
    • By Binarious
      I installed an NVIDIA Quadro P4000 Max-Q in a Clevo P750DM-G.

Device manager hardware ID shows:
      PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1BB7&SUBSYS_75021558&REV_A1

I have done the standard inf file mod, then disabled driver enforcement as I have done successfully in the past, but it's not working this time. The install starts, then fails less than half way through. I have tried the DCH version, standard version, and studio versions and none of them will work. I am probably missing something. Could it be the result of the vBIOS?

Below are screenshots starting with GPUz

• By mrwayne
      My laptop is Monster Tulpar T7 v2.6. i7 4710MQ, 16 GB DDR3 1600 mHZ, GTX 970M 3GB.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.