GT60 0ND upgrade to 970M

Wrd

Hello,

A couple of weeks ago the 675M in my GT60 0ND died.

After reading forums it appears to be possible to install a 970M with some minor modification to the heatsink.

That would mean that it van have a faster video card that consumes less power and become less hot.

I used this post as a guideline: The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread | NotebookReview

I ordered a 970M with 6GB mem.

When it arrived I modified the heatsink and made sure that it fits.

The default nvidia drivers could not detect the videocard but I adjusted the inf file, turned off the driver signature verification.

All seemed well. Only after restarting the windows logo showed and then the screen turned black. Also the output on the HDMI was also black.

The laptop is one that came with win7 installed. In the meantime I have windows 10 running on it.

I tried upgrading the to the latest win7 bios (E16F3IMS.10U) it had no result.

I then booted in safemode and used DDU to remove the nvidia drivers.

I flashed the vbios to N16E_GT_6GB_84.04.22.00.06 (found this for another MSI laptop on their site. I did made a backup of the vbios before flash)

Rebooted the laptop.

This time I could use the nvidia driver installer without the inf modification.

After reboot the same problem occurred. After the windows logo shows the screen turned black.

After searching on internet it seems that the msi bios for win8 does not have the problem.

Also it became clear that updating the bios of a win7 to win8 is not the way to go.

I am stuck and don't know how to proceed. Can someone help me out on this?

Hello,

A couple of weeks ago the 675M in my GT60 0ND died.

After reading forums it appears to be possible to install a 970M with some minor modification to the heatsink.

That would mean that it van have a faster video card that consumes less power and become less hot.

I used this post as a guideline: The Official MSI GT60/70 970m/980m Upgrade Thread | NotebookReview

I ordered a 970M with 6GB mem.

When it arrived I modified the heatsink and made sure that it fits.

The default nvidia drivers could not detect the videocard but I adjusted the inf file, turned off the driver signature verification.

All seemed well. Only after restarting the windows logo showed and then the screen turned black. Also the output on the HDMI was also black.

The laptop is one that came with win7 installed. In the meantime I have windows 10 running on it.

I tried upgrading the to the latest win7 bios (E16F3IMS.10U) it had no result.

I then booted in safemode and used DDU to remove the nvidia drivers.

I flashed the vbios to N16E_GT_6GB_84.04.22.00.06 (found this for another MSI laptop on their site. I did made a backup of the vbios before flash)

Rebooted the laptop.

This time I could use the nvidia driver installer without the inf modification.

After reboot the same problem occurred. After the windows logo shows the screen turned black.

After searching on internet it seems that the msi bios for win8 does not have the problem.

Also it became clear that updating the bios of a win7 to win8 is not the way to go.

I am stuck and don't know how to proceed. Can someone help me out on this?

You should be able to update your BIOS to the windows 8 version, as long as you want to use windows 8 in UEFI that is, the motherboard is the same.

I contacted Svet about this and he gave me an unlocked win8 BIOS with clear instructions how to flash the BIOS using his tools :)

I did have some problems with the gpu because the combination of an ivy bridge cpu and a msi 970m vbios does not work.

It has to be a Clevo 970M vbios.

So I am forced to use the modified inf on my Notebook.

Besides that I am really happy about the result.