Overclocking Locked Mobile Haswell

First, only chips with a model number that end in a "k" can be overclocked. IIRC this is both a design in the chip and in the chipset (not positive about the last).

Once you establish if your chip is overclockable, you can easily search for well-established OC guides and other forums.

I see what you mean when he says that his friend "unlocked" the chip - I have a sneaking suspicion all he did was mod his bios to allow overclocking on a K chip.

If You look on the CPU-Z stepping and familly it shows clearly retail versions of those processors. I don't think that he used ES versions. Those guys seems to confirmed this: Locked mobile Haswell unlocked and overclocked..

That's the same guy as Mr. Angry, Dufus, 0.0, etc. He uses a different name on every forum

• 2 years later...

Overclocking is possible. No hardware mods. Microcode is not known how to manipulate currently. Not anything recent. But regardless, the microcode doesn’t have anything to do with the clock speeds. That’s all controlled by intels management engine in the bios. On a locked cpu (non k) you can overclock by raising the bclk. This won’t get you much because the bclk is also tied to the pci bus and other things. I did it successfully on a Skylake cpu. Wrote a guide HERE.

• 3 weeks later...

Its pretty easy if you can do some bios modding heres the guide:

It didnt work exactly like this with my Dell M3800 (I7 4702hq). It wouldnt post if the microcode length was diffrent so i just copied the V01 microcode in the the original V24 from my Bios and left the rest of the 24 there so the length matches. I attached some haswell microcodes so you don't have to run around with the buggy V00 (CPU internal MC) version. Everything up to V07 allows OC but i think everything after V05 only allows it to 3,6GHz

Haswell microcodes.zip