OFFICIAL: Alienware M17x R3 / R4 - Owners Lounge

Brian

Really? I'd read an article on tomshardware reviewing the Dell SSD (essentially a samsung 470 (aka P810 apparently)) and it said it was pretty solid, with one drawback being higher power consumption. In terms of benchmarks, it seemed middle of the pack which for a vendor drive I figured wasn't too bad (especially when the absolute benchmark times for it were considered).

Benchmark Results: Access Time And I/O Performance : Roundup: The Best SSDs For Enthusiasts

Having said that, very interested to hear your opinion - and if it means I can keep the costs down right now, the "accountant" is more likely to give her approval :P

Couple of things though, if you didn't get the stock SSD which one would you go for? I'm not massively worried about large capacity ones - truth be told, 128gb would be fine as I store all files/photos/music etc. on a NAS and when I'm finished playing a game I'd uninstall it. So 128gb would be fine but of course 256gb for a reasonable price would be nice too, so if you have suggestions for either capacity that'd be cool.

Second, I've never bought a laptop from a big org like Dell, it's only been a local guy. Will Dell supply me with a disk to reinstall Windows 7 on an SSD when I get around to buying one and fitting it, or do they just give those pointless recovery disks? And what's the risk of installing windows onto a fresh SSD, what about dedicated alienware software & laptop specific drivers etc, would I not need those?

I'm totally comfortable rebuilding PCs from scratch, that's not really a problem, but I've only ever had one laptop and truth be told, never needed to mess about with reinstalls etc!

Just in case some of you 6970m owners have the same idea... I just flashed the Dell 6990m vbios on my Sapphire 6970m. As expected it didn't work, the screen just stayed black... though POST was ok and windows definitely booted.

I don't think it would work with a Dell 6970m... At least I was able to blindly flash the card with the original VBIOS.

don't get the dell ssd, its over priced and under performs. after market is the way to go for ssd and ram.

Couldn't have said it better.

Really? I'd read an article on tomshardware reviewing the Dell SSD (essentially a samsung 470 (aka P810 apparently)) and it said it was pretty solid, with one drawback being higher power consumption. In terms of benchmarks, it seemed middle of the pack which for a vendor drive I figured wasn't too bad (especially when the absolute benchmark times for it were considered).

Couple of things though, if you didn't get the stock SSD which one would you go for?

Will Dell supply me with a disk to reinstall Windows 7 on an SSD when I get around to buying one and fitting it, or do they just give those pointless recovery disks? And what's the risk of installing windows onto a fresh SSD, what about dedicated alienware software & laptop specific drivers etc, would I not need those?

I have the PM810 and its a very good SSD but not worth the price Dell's asking for it. Also since Dell, as usual, puts its own firmware on the drive you cannot upgrade the firmware with Samsungs. Samsung SSD software will not detect your drive as a Samsung drive and there is no method as yet to flash Samsungs firmware onto this drive. I am behind about 2 firmware updates and I cant do a thing about it until Dell releases a firmware update.

Personally I would go for a Crucial M4 or an Intel 510 series if I was in the market.

All Alienware's come with a Windows 7 OEM install disc as well as a disc containing all the drivers/apps. There are no recovery discs, however Alienware has a utility thats installed called AlienRespawn that creates these discs. I highly recommend you create these discs before you do anything else. I don't recommend using the bundled driver disc though. Download all the latest necessary drivers/utilities from dell by searching under your laptop model name.

There is no risk installing on an SSD, all drivers apps are downloadable from Dell and the wallpapers, login screen, avatars, etc can be restored. There is a thread on this forum on how to do just that.

You're welcome :) Just trying to save you from the PM810 issues. Its a solid SSD but if I knew about the firmware update issue beforehand I would have bought a retail 470.

Here's the thread with all the wallpapers, login screen's, etc

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware/79-alienware-windows-customizations-restore-alienwares-look-feel.html

Well I did it, ordered

M17x R3 - i7 2630QM - 4Gb - 580M GTX - 120Hz 1080p - 320gb SSD - Killer network card - 1yr LoJack

With a further 8gb RAM and a Crucial M4 128GB SSD on order from 3rd party as well.

ETA 16th August (at the latest).

So I suppose on paper I am technically an M17x owner now :)

edit: As soon as I get it I'll try and get some benchmarks up, with further ones once I get the RAM/SSD fitted. Going to look to see what common benchmarks are posted/asked for on here now!

Edited by indigo_dc
Adding more
  • Thumbs Up 1

Posting from my m17x r3! Absolutely love it! I only have one question though, where do I need to go to get the latest graphic drivers?I have the AMD Radeon™ HD 6870M, any help would be appreciated, I love my Alien so far! :D
Awww lucky lol.. Was supposed to get mine yesterday but they delayed it for another 3 weeks T_T

Ok, that's probably because Dell didn't send AMD all the information, no idea, try the direct download link here:

http://www2.ati.com/DriVeRs/mobile/11-6_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe

If this doesn't work just use this modded 11.6 driver, this should definitely install. Ignore the warnings during the installation:

[email protected]

Ok, that's probably because Dell didn't send AMD all the information, no idea, try the direct download link here:

http://www2.ati.com/DriVeRs/mobile/11-6_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe

If this doesn't work just use this modded 11.6 driver, this should definitely install. Ignore the warnings during the installation:

[email protected]

Thanks much! The first one worked for me. :D

I've had a look at the stickies but can't see anything, is there a guide anywhere on the basic methods behind overclocking the m17x r3? Not looking for anything outlandish, just seeing if I can nudge things up a little.

Check me out, my m17x only went "work in progress" this morning and already I'm planning overclocking :P

Conrgrats on the purchase indigo and glad you've joined the forum. Nice system and I also had a generic dual ssd 250gb each dell Samsung drives for $1200 and they were worth about 400 for the two in my opinion. Great if they were both together $400 for their size but $1200? Dell is insane. Never will make that mistake again.

Well I got an email on Saturday - to my work account, sadly - confirming the delivery date is TODAY. Problem is I'm at work!!

Still, the wife is home until 11am and UPS is saying it's "out for delivery" so fingers crossed she can receive it before she leaves!

So excited, not going to get any work done today.

Well I got an email on Saturday - to my work account, sadly - confirming the delivery date is TODAY. Problem is I'm at work!!Still, the wife is home until 11am and UPS is saying it's "out for delivery" so fingers crossed she can receive it before she leaves!So excited, not going to get any work done today.
Lucky, I'm still waiting on mine for a month now and expected Yo be delivered in the next 2-3 weeks :(

Sorry then dude - mine arrived yesterday, I unpacked it and it's glorious :)

Full review & benchmarks to come but the 3d is surprisingly good and to get 120fps in WoW, Dawn of War 2, StarCraft 2.... it's tasty.

Sadly can't get the 3d to work in WoW though :(

Sorry then dude - mine arrived yesterday, I unpacked it and it's glorious :)Full review & benchmarks to come but the 3d is surprisingly good and to get 120fps in WoW, Dawn of War 2, StarCraft 2.... it's tasty.Sadly can't get the 3d to work in WoW though :(
Damn sounds awesome, im eagerly waiting for mine.. How is the killer network card? I'm getting that as well but couldn't really find any decent reviews anywhere.

To be totally honest I've not noticed any difference in gaming. Well - I have noticed a lot of the other people in WoW lag a LOT and wondered if it was because I'm lagging less I see others lagging more? If that makes sense?

But I don't think it does make sense.

So short version - not seen any performance improvement directly attributable to the network card.

Guest Megapantsparty

I received my M17x R3 in early July and it is amazing!!!! I got the 3D version w/ full resolution and i believe there is no other way to go. It was a little bit pricey but for what im using it for it was worth it. Im going to school for game design and the processing power and the 8gb of Ram make it so that i dont even notice all the programs i have open. My only complaint is that when i received it the media bar wasnt working and there was other drivers that were old and it didnt let me play 3D blu rays. but once i got it all fixed it worked like a dream and if it made my computer come faster it was worth it. The thing is it came with intel my Wifi technology but it says the adapter isnt found. anyone else have this porblem?

• 2 months later...
  • Founder
Still waiting for my M17x R3. Ordered on 10/06/2011, now in production. Estimated delivery date is 11/02/2011, but it's not my first Alienware so I estimate its arrive next week ;)

Nearly a month for production? WTF? What's the holdup?

Nearly a month for production? WTF? What's the holdup?

Maybe because I'm living in Germany :playful: But to be fair with DELL: with shipping it only takes about 2 weeks, until my new notebook arrives at my home ;)

So don't worry - and beeeee happy *whistle*

EDIT: See, today it's already shipped with UPS :) Only 3 working days reamining, until I can taste the pure power of my new Alienware, lol

Edited by robby_hd

Have you had much luck with overclocking this laptop? My perspective is since the means is being provided by Intel its got to be limp. Of course I'd love to try so I can so I can clock the processor as sold to me(Intel has pulled the wool over the consumer's eyes with Turbo Boost).