EwinRacing Flash Series Gaming Chairs
Brian

OFFICIAL: Alienware M17x R3 / R4 - Owners Lounge

20 minutes ago, handale30 said:

Well, here you go, let me know if you are able to get it working.

I just installed a gtx680m on my new alienware m15x and boy does it still have a punch, it still runs bf5 1080p no problem. I was impressed. 

rebooting now to redo the security settings, everything I had done but did not do this bit will hopefully work in 5 mins... thank you so so so much for your detailed explanation. you my friend are a STAR! be right back

32 minutes ago, handale30 said:

Well, here you go, let me know if you are able to get it working.

I just installed a gtx680m on my new alienware m15x and boy does it still have a punch, it still runs bf5 1080p no problem. I was impressed. 

It's installing thank:) you so much, you are a star, so patient and knowledgable.  a legend!

2 minutes ago, gribster said:

It's installing thank:) you so much, you are a star, so patient and knowledgable.  a legend!

worth every hour of today for this :)

Screenshot 2019-02-21 19.34.22.png

Edited by gribster
adding screen shot!

8 hours ago, gribster said:

worth every hour of today for this :)

Screenshot 2019-02-21 19.34.22.png

Yeeahh!!!!! that's what I'm talking about! wooo job well done, :) I'm so glad you were able to get it up and running.  now go have some good gaming sessions. I love the R3/R4 design and the 680m is still great. it's my pleasure btw, enjoy :P  your new setup! 

So, does anyone here know how to fix the GPU fan not spinning automatically after a GPU upgrade with an MXM Zotac 1070 (mini desktop card)? 

I can control it with HWinfo but I only get one slider that controls both CPU and GPU and if I remove EC support I get dual sliders BUT they both control both fans. ts just a pain in the ass having to set it to Manual Auto setting every time I start the laptop.  at least they just added spindown delay today for HWinfo, but I still have to open the app and press the little fan icon so the manual auto starts to work.    

Any workarounds??   help would be appreciated, cheers!! 

No, I believe the support stopped for the 880M. The easy thing to do is go to Nvidia and enter the 880M and see what driver they suggest to install. It could be possible to mod the latest driver to include the 880M. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By axderka
      I have a 460m in my alienware right now, and it's not getting the job done. What all do I need in order to upgrade it to a 7970m? Do I need a new power supply? (Not a/c adapter). How would I go about getting something like that? I just need help overall...
    • By Brian
      Well we know some places don't allow this kind of discussion but this is Tech|Inferno, not only do we allow it, we encourage it!
      So I'll start first:
      M17x-R2 Pros:

Dual 5870M is still FASTER than a single 6970M in most cases
      M17x-R2 RGB LED can't be matched
      The 920/940xm + TS combo beats a 2820qm and there is no 2920xm for R3 currently.
      Construction: Aluminum vs Trojan Rubber. 'Nuff said.
      Unlocked bios by TheWiz and possible GPU upgrades coming ala Crossfire 6970M.
      Has been around longer and is now a very stable system.
      You can grab it cheap on the Dell outlet.
      Better touch panel.
      IMO looks better than R3.

M17x-R2 Cons:

Older chipset + CPU architecture
      No official 6970M love from Dell
      Slightly heavier

M17x-R3 Pros

Sandy Bridge + Cougar Point (once it's revised haha)
      Newer design that may appeal to some.
      Lighter than R2 and thinner.
      Soft Touch Rubber
      120 Hz 3D display technology
      Extended battery life thanks to graphics switching tech (optimius + amd manual switching)
      Low starting price

M17x-R3 Cons:

Soft touch rubber flakes off - rut roh!
      It has been reported that the CPU throttles (DaneGRClose can confirm this)
      No RGB LED
      No dual card support

So there you have it, that's my list and my overall preference goes to the R2. R3 would have been in my sig if it had dual card support despite it's inferior build quality and lack of RGB LED.
      Don't like my reasons? Well bring it!
    • By Pursuit
      I would like to upgrade ram on my m17xr2 from 4gb to 8gb,
      Here is the ram that I found on ebay:
      SAMSUNG DDR3 1333 8GB (2x4GB) SO-DIMM Alienware M17x (eBay item 300509592881 end time 28-Feb-11 11:53:48 AEDST) : Computers Networking
      The question is this a good brand/price for our m17x?
      any suggestions please.
    • By Brian
      Driver list coming soon.
    • By Brian
      Official M15x owners lounge thread. Driver list coming soon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.