OFFICIAL: Alienware M17x R3 / R4 - Owners Lounge

Brian

• Founder
Well, I'm not that lucky :P I did pay about $580 for it and I'm sure future retail versions will be cheaper. Also, this could be the 6990M Eurocom mentioned in an e-mail to someone, though I think a card with that name should be based of a desktop 6950 (which BTW consumes less power than a GTX 560 - what the GTX 485M is based off of).

Let's call this card, the 6970M XT?

EDIT: BTW Brian, what games are you going to test for your R3 review?

Since you're the only guy I know who has one, we can just call it a 6970M Ichime Edition.

So one thing I've wanted to ask the guys that have the 6970 in hand is if the GPU runs at full clocks while on battery? If it doesn't and it drops the clocks like the Nvidia card can you at least overclock it using Afterburner, Precision, RivaTuner, etc? Or is that locked out on the AMD card too?

So if The Wiz completes version 2 of bios mod and unlocks use of other videocards there can be 6970m crossfire in the R2, and if he works on the R3 bios can someone make R3 crossfire compatible or is there no second slot for the video card in the R3? 2Gb 6970M crossfire would be amazing, the crossfire cable slot does exist on the 6970M.

I'm wondering if any of the non-3d owners can do me a favor? Can you pull your keyboard off and take a picture of the right side of the mobo under the keyboard where the lcd cable connects to the mobo? I'm wondering if there is different routing on the 3d and non-3d versions and it would help greatly! Thanks!!!

• Founder

When I get around to disassembling the R3 I'll get you some photos. I don't think it's a connector issue with 6970M not working with the 120hz R3 though, it's because of the way the IGP is designed on the mainboards and/or bios limitations for those particular R3s.

• Founder

The thing is, the bios is universal for all the R3s so I doubt the 3D versions have a unique one unless there's an identifier w/in the bios that adds extra code for 3D enabled ones. I think it has to do with the IGP + 120 hz display and I bet if you switched out the display to a 60 hz one, the 6970M would start working. Ask Dell to send you a 60 hz display.

If it comes down to that I'll just tell them to send me a new computer lol. Don't want a totally frankensteined computer if I don't get an extra benefit from it(6970m+120hz). The only thing I can think that could cause a problem in the bios is if they have the bios detect the actual dGPU to enable or disable the IGP. If Dell did that they need to shoot the engineer that did. If it's not bios related it has to be hardware problems, either routing of the GPU and screen combo or I have a bunk card. I'm getting a new one tomorrow so we'll see if it's the card or not.

• Founder

Just an FYI: The M17x-R3 is fully functional without a discrete GPU when configured with the 6970M+60 hz option. The sandy bridge IGP takes over...pretty cool.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Founder

Just to let you guys know, i am really glad i ordered the laptop in my sig. The agony of R3 vs Avenger is finally over for me and i am super happy with my decision.

I hope that the nebula red looks good on the R3.

Also, just ordered 8GB of 1600MHz Kingston HyperX RAM (KHX1600C9S3K2/8GX), seems like the best option for the R3.

Anyone here tried it ?

• Thumbs Up 1

• Founder
Just to let you guys know, i am really glad i ordered the laptop in my sig. The agony of R3 vs Avenger is finally over for me and i am super happy with my decision.

I hope that the nebula red looks good on the R3.

Also, just ordered 8GB of 1600MHz Kingston HyperX RAM (KHX1600C9S3K2/8GX), seems like the best option for the R3.

Anyone here tried it ?

Congrats but when I post photos of my Avenger in nebula red, I'll be sure to mail you some napkins for the drool. :still_dreaming:

• Founder

Congrats but when I post photos of my Avenger in nebula red, I'll be sure to mail you some napkins for the drool. :still_dreaming:

naah...

I'll be positively happy for you but I know I made the right decision :)

• Founder
naah...

I'll be positively happy for you but I know I made the right decision :)

I know man, you definitely debated the pros and cons of each and made the best decision for yourself. Besides with Avenger you might have been cutting it close to your moving time.

time to start moving furniture in here and get rid of the cobwebs . Is michael staying with his m17x-R3? seems like it. I have to say after seen this picture I leaned towards the m17x-R3 the m18x is to massive to carry around.

64228d1303311661-m18x-dwarfs-m17x-engadget-hands-pics-20110419-10110864-alienware3-img6543-1-.jpg

On the other hand Brian is gonna be bragging about this for years to come, so be prepare. :byebye:

post-135-14494987822822_thumb.jpg

Edited by wbabt007
attach pic
  • Thumbs Up 4

Holy hell that thing is big, I figured it would be big but not that much bigger than the R3. That's not even a laptop, can't be classified as a DTR, it's a hybrid all-in-one desktop lol. Kinda like the Ford Taurus X it's not a car it's not an suv or truck it's a cruck. I guess we can call the M18x a Desk-book lol.

• Thumbs Up 4

Holy hell that thing is big, I figured it would be big but not that much bigger than the R3. That's not even a laptop, can't be classified as a DTR, it's a hybrid all-in-one desktop lol. Kinda like the Ford Taurus X it's not a car it's not an suv or truck it's a cruck. I guess we can call the M18x a Desk-book lol.

+1 "cruck" rofl!~ :P