OFFICIAL: Alienware M17x R3 / R4 - Owners Lounge

Brian

Well I bit the bullet and ordered an R4.Specs are 3820Qm,6Gb 1600,AMD 7970,500Gb HD.I sold my r3 and the 2960Xm seperately.I kept the Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz and the Corsair Performance Pro 256Gb SSD.Thinking about getting a 3920XM ES but I read that they run very hot when OC'd so I'll have to give it some serious thought.ETA 6/1

I heard the same about the 3920XM as a 10-15% increase in performance but when overclocked just a little bit more speed when at the same clocks as a overclocked 2960/2920XM. The fabrication process shrink did help yield a small 100-200mhz increase in handling over SandyXM even in 8threads... but given M17xR3/M18xR1 unlocked bios... and the very unlikely or long time away unlocked bios of the M17xR4/M18xR2... the previous gen will be able to run at higher TDP etc and in long term process more... since Manufacturer limits will be the limits of the next gen Alienware laptops. The ES chips could just be handling a little worse than the one OEM's will have binned for them... overall they seem to run hot at similar everyday clocks 2900 series owners have been using. Its hard to say but in any case if you can have an unlocked chip for under the OEM's stiff $900+ price tag... by all means the 3920XM will still be a chip to enjoy and worth having at half the price tag for ES... if one has a 2900 series the upgrade to a 3920XM isnt as easily noticed as going from well a locked chip from SandyBridge.

If your going getting an R4 the ES 3920XM... they are faster than the top locked Ivy mobile cpu by a landslide when overclocked. use your experience with your 2960XM to overclock that one. :) it should be well worth the price of ES... Ivy is efficient so the lower power will keep the chip running cooler too. The stock bios will have adjustable multipliers just wont be able to set really high multipliers... but you should be able to set them high enough to compete with 2920xm everyday clocks like 4ghz+

Your going to love your incoming 7970M its proven to be a desktop card in a tiny body.

• 2 months later...

is there anyone with an m17x-r4 / 7970m who has resident evil operation r.c. installed? i find the performance it of terrible. i get 23000 in 3d mark vantage, but this game is so slow fps wise. i'm using stock clocks on the gpu and i'm playing the campaign in private mode. will get back with config settings etc. tomorrow, the machine is sitting at work while i'm at home ^^

I have Resident Evil 5 are you talking about a Resident Evil 6 or is that 5. Lol idont even know what ive got lol.

Are you using 12.7 CAPS they aren't just for Crossfire but also for single card. Whats the in game settings and is CCC just using defaults? You can try vsync with triple buffering... that helps me on Witcher 2 if I used Ubersampling

• Thumbs Up 1

haha, nah, neither one of them. it's resident evil operation raccoon city...released between 5 and 6 ;-)

i'm using the ones you suggested to me the last time, i will search for the ones you told me now. what is CAPS? always wanted to ask that...

thx bud :)

in the mean time i installed the drivers, as you posted them in the drivers section haha ^^ now i can't overclock anymore... i forgot that the other ones were modded. hmm.

EDIT: btw, with those 12.7 CAPS drivers, resident evil is now fully playable all maxed out. :):D \m/

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. Does the Alienware M17x R3 supports 32gb @ 1600mhz/ 8gb ddr3 @ 1600 per/slot ??? Has anyone try that configurator or 2x8gb @ 1600mhz?? I have the i7 2760qm processor. I hope someone replies soon because i want to buy them tomorrow.I know from the manual that the laptop supports 32gb @ 1333 but i'm interested in 1600mhz. Thx.

• 1 month later...
haha, nah, neither one of them. it's resident evil operation raccoon city...released between 5 and 6 ;-)

i'm using the ones you suggested to me the last time, i will search for the ones you told me now. what is CAPS? always wanted to ask that...

thx bud :)

sorry that I am just now responding good buddy nearly 2 1/2 months later bro. CAPS http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx

Catalyst Application Profiles

its like Whitelist on Nvidia cards... its a preset profile for a few ways the game runs on an AMD card to better optimize performance... though they tend not to truly add much. its a seperate install sometimes from driver and easy enough to install over last...

- - - Updated - - -

Hello. Does the Alienware M17x R3 supports 32gb @ 1600mhz/ 8gb ddr3 @ 1600 per/slot ??? Has anyone try that configurator or 2x8gb @ 1600mhz?? I have the i7 2760qm processor. I hope someone replies soon because i want to buy them tomorrow.I know from the manual that the laptop supports 32gb @ 1333 but i'm interested in 1600mhz. Thx.

its hard to say in theory it should be no problem at all. Since they dont sell 32gb 1600mhz kits with the Alienware laptop from factory you will have to pioneer and try it or keep surching if anyone has done this yet. I know you could try 4 sticks of these

komputer bay 2x8gb 1600mhz laptop memory

http://www.amazon.com/Komputerbay-PC3-12800-1600MHz-10-10-10-27-Heatspreaders/dp/B007PZWYKM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347259237&sr=8-1&keywords=ddr3+sodimm+8gb+1600mhz

patriot 8gb 1600mhz laptop memory

http://www.amazon.com/Patriot-Memory-Signature-1600MHz-PSD38G16002S/dp/B007M538DW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347259237&sr=8-2&keywords=ddr3+sodimm+8gb+1600mhz

corsair 2x8gb 1600mhz laptop memory

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Laptop-1600MHz-CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10/dp/B0076W9Q5A/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1347259237&sr=8-16&keywords=ddr3+sodimm+8gb+1600mhz

• Thumbs Up 1

I have seen someone on nbr runnning 32gb. I'm sure it will run at 1600mhz if you buy the proper stuff. ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 running Resurrection Remix

i thought its been done but didn't know anyone who had know of it or in fact upgraded theirs to that. thanks bigtonyman

Hello all - I am new owner of M17x R3 - and I've upgraded the RAM from 8 GB stock to 32 GB - I used Corsair Vengence 1600 MHz - and for my rig they work like a charm -

CPU-Z Validator 3.1

My problem is with latest Radeon 12.8 drivers - that I cannot make to install - I get a BSOD / and I've tryed everything :(

[MENTION=3313]Mihai Moga[/MENTION] - let me know how can we get in touch / I'm also RO

@rodarkone I recommend a clean driver install normally isnt a priority but if you having bsod on install. Try using DriverSweeper's new improved version called Driver Fusion. Phyxion.net

First uninstall via normal AMD driver uninstall. Dont restart. Open Driver Fusion select AMD and analyze or clean after and it will ask to restart before clicking okay to do so, open CCleaner free app and use the registry cleaner you may see another aMD file show up or so and have it delete it. Close ccleaner open device manager and check the video card now says vga adapter. If not uninstall that driver there and check the box "remove driver files" hit okay and go back to driver Fusion and let it restart. Windows will boot and show likely a low resolution screen. Proceed to locate and install the driver 12.8 which you should use the whql from AMD's site thats whats in my system now. Now hopefully it works that time. Dont install the hdmi audio driver and it may save from error i see where the normal IDT audio software crashes on install. I install anyway ignore that error and proceed and its no prob and continues install. Restart even if it says there was install errors i check log and driver and all still installs so ignore. Once restarted install AMD CAPS 12.8 version 2. I hope this helps.

If you still get bsod then it can be a few things, some SSD drives like vertex 3 if you have a drive with similar controller sandforce based try updating your firmware. You could make sure your ram is seated properly and also could test ram for errors. Have you installed any new software. Is this as is from factory the OS i mean or have you done a clean install of windows? Bios updates are important but likely not cause of your bsod. If anyone else has suggestions feel free to chime in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Installing my killer card here in a few hours. Hope I see a difference over my stock card. :D

Awesome congrats. I think you should see some kind of improvement. Last I knew when it was network benched against Intel Wifi cards there was more than 3times throughput om various sorts of network transfers and lower latency in game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome congrats. I think you should see some kind of improvement. Last I knew when it was network benched against Intel Wifi cards there was more than 3times throughput om various sorts of network transfers and lower latency in game.

So I should just need to install the drivers off the killer site and I'll be set to go right?

Yes havent owned the card but i heard for best results install their driver but dont install or atleast remove the Killer software it comes with. I heard it causes problems and there aren't problems when the software isnt installed. Just install the driver.

Yes havent owned the card but i heard for best results install their driver but dont install or atleast remove the Killer software it comes with. I heard it causes problems and there aren't problems when the software isnt installed. Just install the driver.

Alright thanks for the advice!!

Alright thanks for the advice!!

Your welcome anytime. Let us know how its working maybe a impression of what its like downloading or gaming. Have fun bigtonyman

mw86 - thanks a lot for the advices - the problem seems to be solved by me cowboy style - flashed my bios to A10 modded (again need to thank to the svl7) - disabled the onboard IGP and installed the drivers (I replyed also on the A10 modded bios thred - I saw that you offerd your help there also :) )

mw86 - thanks a lot for the advices - the problem seems to be solved by me cowboy style - flashed my bios to A10 modded (again need to thank to the svl7) - disabled the onboard IGP and installed the drivers (I replyed also on the A10 modded bios thred - I saw that you offerd your help there also :) )

Awesome im glad you got it fixed. Ill have to remember the IGP issue on add in cards. You told it who is the boss. Enjoy and game on bro.

• 2 weeks later...

thx bro for the clear up! :D and no worries about the delay, i've been gone for over a month as well. had to spend some time in bali ;-)

sorry that I am just now responding good buddy nearly 2 1/2 months later bro. CAPS http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/crossfirex-app-profiles.aspx

Catalyst Application Profiles

its like Whitelist on Nvidia cards... its a preset profile for a few ways the game runs on an AMD card to better optimize performance... though they tend not to truly add much. its a seperate install sometimes from driver and easy enough to install over last...

- - - Updated - - -

its hard to say in theory it should be no problem at all. Since they dont sell 32gb 1600mhz kits with the Alienware laptop from factory you will have to pioneer and try it or keep surching if anyone has done this yet. I know you could try 4 sticks of these

komputer bay 2x8gb 1600mhz laptop memoryAmazon.com: Komputerbay 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz SODIMM 204-Pin Laptop Memory 10-10-10-27 with Black Heatspreaders: Computers & Accessories

patriot 8gb 1600mhz laptop memoryAmazon.com: Patriot Memory Signature DDR3 8GB 1600MHz SODIMM (PC3 12800) PSD38G16002S: Computers & Accessories

corsair 2x8gb 1600mhz laptop memoryAmazon.com: Corsair Vengeance Laptop Memory Kit 16 GB (2x8 GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL10 PC3 12800 (CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10): Computers & Accessories

• 3 weeks later...

so, after our honeymoon in bali, after half our company burned down (well, not really, but network-wise almost ;) ) i'm back again :) what's up dudes?

here's a screen after 2 hours of max payne 3 on my r4... settings all maxed out except AA (4x instead of 8x). temps are pretty sweet, i like! :)

post-1903-14494993781762_thumb.jpg

EDIT: (cpu running on level 3 overclocking 43, 41, 39, 37)

so, after our honeymoon in bali, after half our company burned down (well, not really, but network-wise almost ;) ) i'm back again :) what's up dudes?

here's a screen after 2 hours of max payne 3 on my r4... settings all maxed out except AA (4x instead of 8x). temps are pretty sweet, i like! :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5198[/ATTACH]

EDIT: (cpu running on level 3 overclocking 43, 41, 39, 37)

Oh yeah nice Deadbydawn! Cool nice cpu overclock and not bad gpu overclock either. How you enjoying 7970m. Temps look great. Im grabbing Max Payne 3 tonight cant wait to try some of that action too. I was shocked to learn it is or is one of the largest install size games out right now at about 35gb. Thats crazy lol.

Paranoid Galaxy S3 on Tapatalk 2

• Thumbs Up 1