OFFICIAL: Alienware M17x R3 / R4 - Owners Lounge

Brian

GPU fan speed under the GPU section in HWiNFO (and also in GPU-Z) is not a valid value on most notebooks. It's because this value is read from the GPU, but notebooks use a different thermal/fan control design which is usually controlled by a dedicated microcontroller (EC). So the GPU doesn't know about this fan, and that's why HWiNFO has special features to offer real fan speed monitoring on some notebooks (including Alienware).

• Thumbs Up 1

GPU fan speed under the GPU section in HWiNFO (and also in GPU-Z) is not a valid value on most notebooks. It's because this value is read from the GPU, but notebooks use a different thermal/fan control design which is usually controlled by a dedicated microcontroller (EC). So the GPU doesn't know about this fan, and that's why HWiNFO has special features to offer real fan speed monitoring on some notebooks (including Alienware).

thanks a lot for this very interesting & useful info!!

so now i will do some research on how to use those special features. :)

• 2 weeks later...
congrats man :) got one for x-mas? ;)

btw, where from new hampshire are you from? i used to live in gorham for 2 years haha =)

well lets see I grew up in Merrimack, moved to Raymond and then moved to Manchester where I met the wifey. Currently we are in the lakes region living with the sister in law, we were here to wait on our accident settlement which bought 2 aliens for us and now we are waiting on spring to move into our own place in the local area. the purchase of the laptops just happened to happen this month and shipped only days before xmas so its kinda a xmas gift but more of a we needed computers and we bought the best while we could.

• Thumbs Up 1

ah i see :) cool, i'm back in switzerland, but i miss

haha, nice! well, buying the best there is as long as u can afford it sounds familiar to me ;)

so have fun with the two aliens you two! i'm just waiting for my m17x-r3 to be picked up next week and then have it replaced by a new one (only had problems with it since it came).

ah i see :) cool, i'm back in switzerland, but i miss

haha, nice! well, buying the best there is as long as u can afford it sounds familiar to me ;)

so have fun with the two aliens you two! i'm just waiting for my m17x-r3 to be picked up next week and then have it replaced by a new one (only had problems with it since it came).

well I remember that... I hope you get your system soon I am waiting on mine to return from repair depot myself. My videocards seemed to had died but after new ones were in it still wasn't booting could be LCD or mobo...

well I remember that... I hope you get your system soon I am waiting on mine to return from repair depot myself. My videocards seemed to had died but after new ones were in it still wasn't booting could be LCD or mobo...

ah that sucks man! =(

well, i'm still waiting on those dell dudes to call my up because i didn't get the confirmation email with the all the information about the replacement yet. the support is great sometimes, but on the other hand can suck big time on other days...

• 4 weeks later...

so what is up everyone? quite dead in here! -.-

after over a month i finally got my replacement r3. no i'm fighting aroung with the updated driver installation again...this is such a pain in the a"ç, i wonder if dell will ever release an updated driver at all?

and anyways, what's going on, everybody sold their 17x-r3 or what? ^^

his r2 doesn't have switchable graphic. this is what i did when i had the r3, after a clean install i will install the dell oem driver, then get 1 of the newer ones from guru3d or something like that and install straight over it. i don't like using the drivers direct from amd. the modded ones are almost always easier to install.

ah i see!

okay, i will do aclean install this evening and then try your sugestion. did you install the whole thing over it or only the driver itself? also, i have a hard time figuring out which driver is modded =( thx for your help man and sorry to be so lame, but after about 5 clean installs today i'm getting kinda frustrated at the drivers ;)

I still have my R3 and won't be getting rid of it any time soon.

I too have issues with getting the AMD drivers in right. I am using the 8.93 drivers right now and they work good in BF3 so I have not tried to do anything else. I would look to upgrade to the newest and will have to look into those moded drivers boobs is talkin about.

me neither =)

i'm not even able to get those in... i can only get them to work when booting into the unsigned drivers allowwd windows mode..but as soon as i restart into normal operation it doesn't load the driver..unless i use the old as hell dell one =\

On my m18x oem drivers only ones that worked for my intel gpu to switch from discrete graphics... But i never installed over them with guru3d modded ones. Maybe ILB can post the version hes been using.

lol i fell asleep typing..woke up with my face on my ipad this morning ^^

so late at night i finally succeeded installing new drivers (8.93 - 12.1 preview something, im not at home atm so i dunno really). what i did was in the hardware manager i chose the 6990 and went to 'update drivers'. then i chose to manually choose a driver myself..navigated to the inf files kn the unzipped driver..installed..bsod..restart..drivers sre there! i did this twice, first with the 11.10 and then the 12.1 preview. it worked both times right away!

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=47.551558,7.595235

• Thumbs Up 1

i just noticed that the people from dell seemed to have made a mistake... it appears that i got a blueraydrive in my replacement 17x-r3, which i didn't have in the old one ^^ will check at home with a bd

congrats Deadlybydawn thats pure win :) thats a sweet free aquisition ;)