OFFICIAL: Alienware M17x R3 / R4 - Owners Lounge

Brian

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/28/2015 at 6:36 AM, Thomas Zumbrunnen said:

Sigh, and to think I was about 2 clicks away from buying windows 10... I'm sure it'd eventually work out okay, but who wants the hassle right? I love reading all these guides that read: "If you have Win 7 do: this, Win 8.xxx do: this, Win 10: O sry."

• 1 month later...

hi all i have an m17x r4 with a 3d panel and an upgraded 880m. now im running windows 7 64bit and would like to know if we still have problem upgrading to windows 10. i read that when problem occurs it's the lcd eprom that got erased. now i have a usb programmer so i can save my original eproom dump (i suppose chip is supported by programmer) and in case  eeprom got erased i can flash back its dump, but if that will repeat each time it's almost useless, so would like to know if nowdays isa still danger to upgrade to windows 10 or now it's safe.

edit: my lcd is a samsung 173ht

edit2: now windows 10 bar say taht it is not supported by gtx880m and i cannot upgrade to windows 10....

Edited by Scruffy

it works and u have a 3d panel 120hrz ? because problem is focused with those who have 120hrz lg or samsung lcd.

plus after a driver update now each time i boot windows 7, i have a crap resolution at start of windows like 640x480. when i press windows+p and select lcd only it went all ok again, but each reboot each time the same. was fixing this by made a clean install of nvidia driver. 2-3 reboot went ok, but then the next morning all went up again with the bad startup resolution.... any suggestion about that ?

Edited by Scruffy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i got a problem enabling 3D vision in my m17x r4. I already do re-install my windows but the nvidia stereoscopic 3D usb controller is still missing from device manager. nvidia control panel also dont detect my display as alienware 3D vision notebook. 

any idea on how to solve this problem. :(

ss.thumb.jpg.23c21faf744fb68be960846c809

• 3 months later...

Now this is scary.  I remember a few years back, there was Starforce protection and everyone said it was destroying optical drives, a boycott was called for any game using it, magazines would now put what kind of protection the game had, and the company challenged anyone to prove their software did damage to hardware, and lets not get into software.  The net was as active as it is now so it was really hard to find out what the true story was on Starforce.  In the end, Steam came along and most companies saw Steam as an easier way to protect.

Edited by danger007

• 4 months later...

Can anyone help me out I have an alienware m17x r4 and just bought a 980m I do have the upgraded psu. I just need to know where I can get the drivers and flashed bios. right now im on windows 7 and i have a 660m, my bios is a12. 

• 1 month later...
On 07/10/2016 at 1:03 AM, EMZimm said:

Can anyone help me out I have an alienware m17x r4 and just bought a 980m I do have the upgraded psu. I just need to know where I can get the drivers and flashed bios. right now im on windows 7 and i have a 660m, my bios is a12. 

I don't have a 980m myself, but I read somewhere that the A13 BIOS recognises it. Failing that, you need the unlocked A11, but I'm not sure where to get that from...

Drivers can be obtained from: http://downloads.eurocom.com/support/drivers/upgradeyourlaptop/Alienware/

I believe the 9xx cards require Windows 8, 8.1 or 10; the drivers don't work in Windows 7.

• 3 weeks later...

Please which is best stock bios to use with m17xr4 and gtx 675m with windows 7 64 bit installed on gpt hardisk? I do not need to overclock. I was on a05 and after repaired from edid brick I've flashed all bios from a05 to a11. Need to stay with it or it's better goes for a12 and a13?

• 1 month later...
On 11.10.2016 at 9:00 PM, RomulusCreative said:

Ive never had anything but issues with Alienware. have owned 3 laptops and horrible to me and the customer service or lack of alone made me never ever to buy one again.

how come, looks like u do something wrong. I owned 2 alienwares m17x 2 and 3 and where never more satisfied.

Iam on msi gt70 right now, and my vga card burned just like that, found doesnt of ppl which happend the same there is no solution or even a reason why, windows 10 or msi failure they dont care anymore.

Software support endet after 1  year and it looks like theyv never heard of windows 10.

with acer, asus and so on it looks even worse.

Quality, support and cool look combines alienware´s finest :)

• 1 month later...

So here is my current setup:

Alienware M17X R4

Bios A12

GPU: Nvidia 980M

CPU: Intel i7 3630QM

HHD - Samsung 840 EVO SSD 250GB and stock Toshiba 500GB

Ram - CORSAIR Vengeance 4x4GB 204-Pin DDR3

OS- Windows 10

Upgraded 250W power supply

My problem is that I have the drivers and everything for the 980 installed. But my temps are way too high and I dont know what to do. My fans arent spinning up. CPU fan not at all. GPU fan only with HWiNFO, I do not think it is a bad fan. If I try to boot into diagnostics I get 8 beeps. (Read that it means LCD failure which is weird I use a monitor which works fine and so does the regular laptop screen). I am going to try and update my bios to a13 and try a different gpu driver. Ill keep you updated. I just really want to get this fixed. I have an outlet fan under my computer to keep the cpu cool...... any other suggestions. Im desperate!

EDIT: I updated the bios to a13 and while doing so both fans spun up. I started up a game but the fans still wouldn't turn on while on load.... I am trying to update my driver and now wont install.... forgot how I did it the first time. Thank god I made a backup :/ but still no luck......

Edited by EMZimm

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

recentley picked up a mint condition r4 for £300 with the 900p screen and 660m gpu.

looking on suggestions to upgrade would be nice to have a 1080p panal and possibly a few more frames

ive clocked the card 135mhz more and 400mhz memory to gain extra few frames.

im running official a12 firmware also.

windows 10 was a joy to install and is working fine only thing i have noticed my mic isnt working.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello, could you tell me, what am I doing wrong if Im successful only 1 time of 20 tries(full clean Windows 10 install with several Nvidia GTX 870M driver versions from Techinferno-last 388.13, sound and graphics worked together on Windows 10 Creators Update, now when I clean install it, doesn't work anymore, also on new Fall Creators Update) , when HD audio in BIOS is enabled it always ends up with some solid color when logging  in. With disabled HD audio the graphic and everything works perfect. Im desperate, please help. And sorry for my English.  Thank you very much

• 1 month later...

I recently acquired/was given an older M17xR4.  I'm not familiar with Alienware in general.  Everything seems to work ok on it, and it has a GTX 680m and a i7 3920xm with 32GB.  Only problem so far was Win10 acting weird and locking up, bringing the BIOS from A08 to A13 seems to have resolved that.  Also, a USB port on the left (closest to the rear of the machine) doesn't seem to work.   I also have to kinda play with the power cord to get it to recognize as an official Dell one, otherwise it complains on post.... I'm guessing the power supply might have a broken cable internally.

Anyone have any pointers on what I should do to this?  I have an old msata I'm going to put in and a couple of 1TB drives.  Also, I figure that it could use a complete repaste.  Any reasonably priced upgrade for the video card?