MSI GS70 GTX 970m Problems, please help

zane55

hi,

I have a MSI GS70 with a GTX 970m.

Unfortunately I have some problems with throttling CPU and GPU. I know the GS70 gets hot but my Model is just worse than normal.

I can handle my i7 4710hq with Intel XTU, though it`s reaching over 90° on couple of cinebench runs. But my 970m makes me go crazy.

I repasted several times but the GPU keeps getting over 87° and then throttles down to 924mhz.

Even if the GPU Temperature is below 87° and I want to overclock, the voltage and clock rate automatically is reducing.

So how can it be, My Notebook is in Temperature and Power Limit ??

For example in Far Cry 3 in a couple of minutes the GPU Temp is getting to 87° with fan on max speed. My GPU Voltage is higher than average I guess, it`s 1.006.

So my question is, how can I bypass the Temp or Power Limit?

I tried everything but without success. I have the latest drivers.

Is there any possibility to undervolt my GPU or flash an unlocked VBIOS?

Thank you for any help.

Best Regards

• Bios Modder
hi,

I have a MSI GS70 with a GTX 970m.

Unfortunately I have some problems with throttling CPU and GPU. I know the GS70 gets hot but my Model is just worse than normal.

I can handle my i7 4710hq with Intel XTU, though it`s reaching over 90° on couple of cinebench runs. But my 970m makes me go crazy.

I repasted several times but the GPU keeps getting over 87° and then throttles down to 924mhz.

Even if the GPU Temperature is below 87° and I want to overclock, the voltage and clock rate automatically is reducing.

So how can it be, My Notebook is in Temperature and Power Limit ??

For example in Far Cry 3 in a couple of minutes the GPU Temp is getting to 87° with fan on max speed. My GPU Voltage is higher than average I guess, it`s 1.006.

So my question is, how can I bypass the Temp or Power Limit?

I tried everything but without success. I have the latest drivers.

Is there any possibility to undervolt my GPU or flash an unlocked VBIOS?

Thank you for any help.

Best Regards

Try flash this mod of your vbios.

GM204M.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Klem,

Can you please explain me shortly how to flash this mod?

And what voltage did you set on the GPU?

thanks

EDIT:

opened your bios.rom with maxwell editor.

Just to be sure, can I just extract my VBIOS with GPUZ and open it with Maxwell Bios Editior, change my values and then save and flash it with NVflash under windows?

Or do I need to note anything before?

Is there any risk because the GPU is soldered on the Mainboard in GS70?

I read something about VBIOS is included in BIOS and so it`s not possible to flash... is that right?

• Bios Modder

Only in windows with CMD. Run CMD as administrator.

Yes, Nvidia card must be deactivated first in device manager then flash under command prompt with nvflash. After flash, just activate card.

Before you start flash, read first post of this tread:

http://forum.techinferno.com/general-notebook-discussions/8560-nvidia-maxwell-vbios-mods-900m-series-overclocking-versions.html

• 6 months later...

If u register at msi''s website and post in the bios mod forum there is a guy who unlocked my video bios and also me mother board bios and can alter clocks and voltage of gpu and he also tunes the fan profiles so it runs cooler . Like I say register with the official msi site and forums and post what u want looking for a guy called Sven and he will take u through it a's u can't just use any bios u have to mod ur own bios and he does that for u as ur bios also has a windows key that needs to be kept original other wise u loose ur windows key as it's embeded in the mother board bios along with the video bios . It's a funny setup the 970m''s bios is not like other 970m card's it's kept on the motherboard not the actual card as like u correctly state the card is soldered to the motherboard u flash in windows with the card disabled in system settings . 

Thanks 

Steve

On 5/26/2016 at 2:51 AM, Digipro said:

If u register at msi''s website and post in the bios mod forum there is a guy who unlocked my video bios and also me mother board bios and can alter clocks and voltage of gpu and he also tunes the fan profiles so it runs cooler . Like I say register with the official msi site and forums and post what u want looking for a guy called Sven and he will take u through it a's u can't just use any bios u have to mod ur own bios and he does that for u as ur bios also has a windows key that needs to be kept original other wise u loose ur windows key as it's embeded in the mother board bios along with the video bios . It's a funny setup the 970m''s bios is not like other 970m card's it's kept on the motherboard not the actual card as like u correctly state the card is soldered to the motherboard u flash in windows with the card disabled in system settings . 

Thanks 

Steve

The guys nick is Svet. He's good and replies really fast, though he's not doing this for free.

He unlocked my 970m 3GB MXM card. The card runs slightly better and doesnt trhrottle as much, but I don't see any difference i temps. (MSI GT70)

@OP
87C isnt really catastrophic considering the chassis is much smaller than GT70.  Although it shouldn't throttle. Do you have any info from other owners of GS70 ?

90C on i7 is fine. I'm getting the same. Also, note cinebench and real-life usage are two very different things.

• 9 months later...

Hey guys I just came accross this post on Google because I'm having problems with my GPU throttling like crazy... But I don't have access to the download Klem posted...

I have a MSI GS70 with a 970m 6gb and it's really terrible having to deal with the Fan noise itself but even having them at full blow my 970m still throttles like crazy... 

I tried to undervolt it with Afterburner but I have no access to the voltage slider.

Already bought a laptop stand with fans, replaced the thermal paste with CoolLaboratory Liquid Pro,  undervolted CPU core, cache and the iGPU to make things run cooler but the 970m is still running super hot...

can anybody help me please?

On 07/03/2017 at 2:15 PM, senso said:

Maybe your heatsink is not making good contact with the GPU die, some heatsinks from MSI came a bit crooked :/

Hi senso!

How did you find that out? the copper plate is so tiny!

Do you also own a GS70?

Could you run a benchmark and post here the GPU temps?

Also, I tried to upgrade the firmware but I'm getting an error saying that the versions are not the same...

attached is the error msg I'm getting

and a dump of my vbios

update_error.PNG

mycurbios.rom

Edited by parascraps
Add info