2013 13" Macbook Air + GTX750Ti@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + OSX 10.11 [liga]

liga

Hey guys! My Akitio just arrived, here's my build with some issues that I'll review later.

Hardware

- 2013 Macbook Air 13''

- 1,7 GHz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

- Akitio Thunder 2

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2047 MB

- 2 x 21,5 LG 22MP55 Displays

Software

- OS X El Capitan 10.11

- automate_eGPU.sh

- Nvidia web drivers 346.03.02f02

Power Supply

- Standard Power Supply included with Akitio Thunder2

- Dell DA-2 220W Power Supply

post-36085-14495001104096_thumb.png

Right now I've been using the Standard Power Supply because the barrel won't fit on the power connection at the box, I will change it later this week.

I've been having some issues when the whole system restarts when I try to run the Heaven benchmark on Ultra Quality but besides of the that everything is cool, I think it is because of the card needing more power and the standard Power Supply can't deliver. So I will try with the DA-2, there shouldn't be any issue with that one.

I think this is the cleanest and best looking build, everything is closed and running, no loose cables, I bought the DA-2 for a later and more powerful card but for what I play the 750 it's enough, maybe I'll get one of those HP 120W Power Supply that also looks cool for this card.

The script automare_eGPU.sh was easy to use and I just got to disable the csrutil on the recovery os (Command+R when booting), I got the Video Card working with the build in display and both of my monitors.

If someone can confirm the power issue would be great.

post-36085-14495001103663_thumb.png

post-36085-14495001100024_thumb.jpg

post-36085-14495001100758_thumb.jpg

post-36085-14495001101747_thumb.jpg

post-36085-14495001102718_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Nice build. I doesn't have to be a power issue if you didn't limit the FPS.

But running a 750Ti (with factory OC) will exceed the AKiTiO PSU for sure. Without gaming it should be stable, but the 8-Pin (for the DA-2) to barrel mod should be easy and quick! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice build. I doesn't have to be a power issue if you didn't limit the FPS.

But running a 750Ti (with factory OC) will exceed the AKiTiO PSU for sure. Without gaming it should be stable, but the 8-Pin (for the DA-2) to barrel mod should be easy and quick! :D

Thanks, It remains stable without gaming, but the game I play most is Dota and it doesn't require too much effort, I can play two rounds without any problem but at the third one the MBA shutdown and reboot into a multilingual screen for reboot, I modify my barrel today, the green and black one with the screws that I was using didn't fit.

I wanted to know if it's possible to use the GTX750Ti with the build in display, When the other monitors are connected I get at About this Mac that all three monitors including the buildin are using the GTX 750Ti but if I unplug them it goes back to Intel HD Graphics :(

No way to use the internal display for full screen gaming in OSX!

The shutdowns sound bad! Hope that will change with the DA-2.

Thanks for the info about OSX :(

Ok, so I just soldered a new barrel that fits, of course using a PCI-E Splitter from the DA-2 connector to a barrel, but when I lunched the heaven benchmark at Ultra res the MBA dies on the 11th Scene and restart with the multilingual squared screen, I'm gonna try with some games to see if it holds. Any thoughts?

can you post a picture of the plug you made?

Here you go, I'm gonna try using it without the cover, maybe it's a cooling thing, the behaviour was the same with both options of power supply (Standard and DA-2), same crash.

post-36085-14495001109067_thumb.jpg

[uPDATE] I just run Heaven Benchmark without the Akitio Cover and it runned good, ofcourse the score was lower but it's not crashing, the score was the same on medium quality but I got better FPS on min and max.

Next step, open some ventilation holes on the Akitio Cover :pirate:, Any suggestions?

post-36085-14495001109269_thumb.png

post-36085-14495001108666_thumb.jpg

post-36085-14495001108867_thumb.jpg

Can you test in Windows? In Windows you could get precise temperature results on the card under load?!

I don't have bootcamp installed but I will, I tested it a little bit more today and got one crash when playing CS:GO I think its a cooling problem because I don't hear the fan going faster but the MBA does get hotter and the fan was at max speed.

huh, weird.

I think maybe it's a MBA thing, anyway, I just installed Win7, I only need the drivers or there's any script like automate_EGPU.sh with some more things to do, I'm cool if there are a lot of steps to do, it's a Win7 partition that has been created just for testing this.

Regards.

UPDATE>

Ok, so I have installed windows 7, drivers working fine and had my both external screens like I wanted, what i find weird is that only the external displays are showing something, the built in display is black, also the fans of the MBA are at full and the CPU is hot, it is bothering me a lot, any suggestions?

huh, weird.

So, I installed bootcamp and had the same problem with the MBA restarting, it just crashes(a little bit less than with OSX). I've installed the gpuz to monitor the temp and it's ok, but it shows that the GPU it's @95%, also tried with the case open and close, with just one monitor and both, That's weird because it seems that it's not a Temp thing but maybe a power and I've got the Dell DA2 that should give enough power to the 750Ti, the barrel cables are not hot so it's not the cable.

Can I try something elese?

Can you install MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X and lower the % power to 80% and 70% after that and test the stability?!

Ok, I did that and guess what??? It keeps crashing, with the box open and close, with full fan, with auto fan, with 76% power consumption (that's the min % that the tool let me set, EVGA PX) still crashes.

I also tried reducing the gpu and mem clock and it last a little bit longer, I used the OSD and the Temp doesn't go higher than 51°C so It's good. I will try with an old MacBook Pro, maybe it's a MBA thing, it gets really hot, maybe someone got this issue too.

Oh, also it happens (crash with reboot) when I'm using both External Displays to like watch a movie in one and browse the web in the other.

Thanks for the help, this is getting really annoying but as expected. XD.

Regards.