Hey guys, camiloml at bios-mods.com has done some work on BIOS A05, should show now the hidden menus just like A03.

Hope someone of you can test this and leave some feedback and if possible some pics of the menus as well.

The BIOS can be found in the link above, just click on the second "here" in the signature of camiloml.

I still can't test it for my self... would be a difficult task without a M14x :glee:

Once it is confirmed to work I'll repack it with the modded VBIOS so you can keep on overclocking your machines.

EDIT:

Confirmed to work by @Ninjahunter and @Nekojin, big thanks to both of them!!!

And don't forget the modder of this BIOS, camiloml from bios-mods!!! Please leave some feedback on the bios-mods site as well, I'm sure he'd be very glad to hear that his work gets appreciated!!

Here's a whole collection of pictures from all the menus, a special thanks to Nekojin for all his work, I highly appreciate this!!!

img0068xu.th.jpgimg0067vn.th.jpgimg0066cr.th.jpgimg0065zo.th.jpgimg0064pn.th.jpgimg0063kp.th.jpgimg0062xg.th.jpgimg0061uj.th.jpgimg0060edi.th.jpgimg0059y.th.jpgimg0058mx.th.jpgimg0056ps.th.jpgimg0055ek.th.jpgimg0057nh.th.jpgimg0054eg.th.jpgimg0053wr.th.jpgimg0052f.th.jpgimg0051qxl.th.jpgimg0050do.th.jpgimg0049gt.th.jpgimg0048b.th.jpgimg0047cn.th.jpgimg0046ymm.th.jpgimg0045am.th.jpgimg0044xv.th.jpgimg0043btl.th.jpgimg0042wo.th.jpgimg0041bat.th.jpgimg0040oe.th.jpgimg0039vy.th.jpgimg0038yk.th.jpgimg0037cm.th.jpgimg0036ty.th.jpgimg0035gh.th.jpgimg0034bs.th.jpgimg0033lst.th.jpgimg0032ig.th.jpgimg0031bd.th.jpgimg0030muk.th.jpgimg0029dg.th.jpgimg0028gl.th.jpgimg0027dg.th.jpgimg0026bm.th.jpgimg0025dy.th.jpgimg0024ls.th.jpgimg0023bd.th.jpgimg0020cbq.th.jpgimg0019oe.th.jpgimg0018za.th.jpgimg0017xc.th.jpgimg0016bnl.th.jpgimg0015zxs.th.jpgimg0014tp.th.jpgimg00134a.th.jpgimg00133d.th.jpgimg00132h.th.jpgimg00131p.th.jpg

Edited by svl7
tested, confirmed to work. Added pics, thanks nekojin!!
  • Thumbs Up 3

Ninjahunter already tested it and confirmed it to work, he also said he'll provide some pics of the BIOS menus. Apparently it looks almost the same as the unlocked A03 but with some different settings for fan and throttle if I remember correctly what he wrote.

In case something goes wrong you should still be able to recover the BIOS and flash a proper version, there are some methods for relatively simple crisis recovery with this kind of BIOS.

Thanks, I just tested it. It works, but under the menu point "Extended ICC" -> Clock Div 1S the laptop just freezes. Didn't had time to test the other options. I am uploading pictures to upload.to and will post the link as soon as it is ready.

The bios is way to complicated for me, but it would be nice if somebody could tell me if you can change the limitation for overclocking with this mod.

On the default bios, you can only change the long duration pwr limit to 55, since the long duration timewindow is at 56 (you can't higher this number and the pwr limit has to be under the value of the timewindow).

Hope you understand what I am trying to say :)

Here are the pictures

http://ul.to/1nzrqckx

Edited by Nekojin
  • Thumbs Up 3

Thanks, I just tested it. It works, but under the menu point "Extended ICC" -> Clock Div 1S the laptop just freezes. Didn't had time to test the other options. I am uploading pictures to upload.to and will post the link as soon as it is ready.

The bios is way to complicated for me, but it would be nice if somebody could tell me if you can change the limitation for overclocking with this mod.

On the default bios, you can only change the long duration pwr limit to 55, since the long duration timewindow is at 56 (you can't higher this number and the pwr limit has to be under the value of the timewindow).

Hope you understand what I am trying to say :)

Here are the pictures

Bios A05 and Mod.7z (87,71 MB) - uploaded.to

Yes those options in the ICC menu did that to me on the M18x unlocked bios... but you can enter that menu and enable "Watchdog" option and it will help allow the system to post when it may have normally froze possibly saving time of having to pull the cmos battery if you set something wrong.

any chance we could get a RAID module in this? a very common mod for the m14x is swapping the optical drive for a HDD bay. I got a pair of matching SSD's in mine, problem is they are running as separate drives as its all the stock A05 allows. I would be more than willing do any testing needed to make it happen. thanks!

any chance we could get a RAID module in this? a very common mod for the m14x is swapping the optical drive for a HDD bay. I got a pair of matching SSD's in mine, problem is they are running as separate drives as its all the stock A05 allows. I would be more than willing do any testing needed to make it happen. thanks!

I haven't modified this BIOS, the gurus at bios-mods.com did this work, check out the original post there.

You have to understand that all they've done is connected menus which were already in the BIOS, but not visible, to the accessible menus. This results in a lot more options, but it doesn't necessarily mean that all the options are functioning, or safe to use.

Some of the available settings are probably not even implemented in the BIOS. I highly doubt that a RAID would work, I guess it's there because the M14x has this options (which has a very similar BIOS).

Did you already test it? You can of course ask at BIOS-mods, but implementing such a feature is pretty much impossible, it can't be compared to unlocking menus, it'd require to do a lot of coding, and I doubt that the hardware would even support it.

Hi,

I am a bit surprised by the temps I get in prime95 (up to 98° Celsius). What wonders me is, that the Fan works (you can clearly hear it), but does not "kick in" (like when you try to flash the bios).

Since those temps are really high, and me not being the only one that is getting such temperatures, I was wondering if you could modify the bios in a way that it automatically speeds up the fan when the cpu reaches a certain temperature (like 100% when above 90°)...

Thank you for your help

Those numbers are pretty common for A05 the reason why is because the fan only goes up to about 75% or 80% speed with these bios. And there is a setting in the bios for adjusting the "low" and "high" activation temp and speed of the fan. That was a bit of a disapointment because A05 is supposed to have quite a few fan stages. I cant recall the exact location of the setting but i believe it was near some throttling or overclocking settings (Im not too keen on about 50% of bios terms). Im sure if you looked around for about five minutes it would be easy enough to find.

Hope that helps you any :P i remeber this was the exact reason i wanted the a05 unlocked

This is strange. I found the option under the second "advanced" options tab (thermal settings), but it already was at 100% for high temperature (=75° C). Low temperature (=55° C) was at 75% Speed.

I manually set it to 99 (maybe there is a problem with the value).

Testing now...

//Edit//

No difference. The even when set on 100, it still does not go over 75% from the noise level

Edited by Nekojin

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I am a bit surprised by the temps I get in prime95 (up to 98° Celsius). What wonders me is, that the Fan works (you can clearly hear it), but does not "kick in" (like when you try to flash the bios).

Since those temps are really high, and me not being the only one that is getting such temperatures, I was wondering if you could modify the bios in a way that it automatically speeds up the fan when the cpu reaches a certain temperature (like 100% when above 90°)...

Thank you for your help

HWinfo should get you to max the fans out properly the bios in the m18x unlocked version the fan controls had no effect of change from stock you can check by maxing the values... Hwinfo you can set a fancy automatic fan control based on several temps and speeds instead of just two..

c69k said:
Man, thank you for unlocking B05 !!! Now using your bios with changed settings my M14x runs at SATA 6 Gbps with OCZ Vertex 3 MI !!!

So Dell is a bit behind with their support I guess.

You are very amazing people over there and have made most Alienware systems much better through their unlocked bios mods... nice I am glad you are now on Sata 3 speeds now