Alienware 17 (2013) 970m upgrade informations

Lanius

Hello everybody!

I am new on this forum and I'd like to ask some information about a gpu upgrade for my alienware 17. I'd like to replace the gtx 765m with a 970m, so i'm buying a more powerful adapter to support that. I wonder, is the 240w model enough or I should buy a 330w (wich currently costs almost two fold) instead? Do I need to buy a 3 pipes heatsink? are there other concerns that I should consider while installing the new card?

Thank you all in advance for your replies.

• 1 month later...
On 10/31/2015 at 2:06 AM, Lanius said:

Hello everybody!

I am new on this forum and I'd like to ask some information about a gpu upgrade for my alienware 17. I'd like to replace the gtx 765m with a 970m, so i'm buying a more powerful adapter to support that. I wonder, is the 240w model enough or I should buy a 330w (wich currently costs almost two fold) instead? Do I need to buy a 3 pipes heatsink? are there other concerns that I should consider while installing the new card?

Thank you all in advance for your replies.

I have the exact same system (R1 2013), and just upgraded from GTX770M to GTX970M. I am using 240W adaptor and 2-pipe heatsink, both should be sufficient for 970M. If it is 980M, it will be different story.

900M series GPUs on AW17 R1 is not officially supported by Dell, so we have to use modded driver. Refer to J95's thread in this forum, and copy and replace nvcvi.inf in nVidia driver for Optimus mode. In my system, the modded driver only works in Optimus mode, under Win 8.1. Hope this helps.