Ivy Bridge Architecture detailed: Intel rips ThrottleStop?

kune

Was reading the Ivy Bridge Anand article and noticed something interesting in one of Intel's slides (attached)

post-111-14494991693159_thumb.jpg

Sounds a lot like ThrottleStop to me. @unclewebb What do you think, Kevin?

(original also included)

edit:

just finished reading the entire article.

Sounds more like things will be automatic...even the image says dynamic "triggers".

Still, I can't help but think unclewebb's work had an unrewarded hand in this.

post-111-1449499169298_thumb.jpg

Edited by kune

Well, even though Throttlestop is by far the greatest tool I've ever used for CPU monitoring, tweaking and overclocking, after all it's "only" a tool, which manipulates what the CPU is already capable to do. This configurable TDP isn't really a new feature, it was already implemented in the i7 920/940XM for example, and OEMs like Intel actually used it to boost the CPU a bit (stock TDP of such a CPU in the M15x or M17x r2 is 62W instead of the Intel setting of 55W).

Also the 2920xm has an adjustable TDP. In the end it mainly depends on the notebook manufacturer whether he unlocks these features or not, if I remember correctly the Lenovo users with the 2920xm for example have absoultely no way to control their CPU since all the features are locked in the BIOS, I'm sure unclewebb knows more about this, he's been investigating this issue afaik.

This feature is very nice for overclocking as well as power saving, but I'm afraid that a lot of OEMs will simply lock it, or even use it to cripple the CPU performance for lower heat dissipation (instead of optimizing the cooling system). And I somehow believe that these features will only come to the extreme processors. Maybe also to the ULV CPUs since it would allow the manufacturers to optimize their portable systems, but I somehow can't see this feature coming to all CPUs.

This feature is very nice for overclocking as well as power saving, but I'm afraid that a lot of OEMs will simply lock it, or even use it to cripple the CPU performance for lower heat dissipation (instead of optimizing the cooling system). And I somehow believe that these features will only come to the extreme processors. Maybe also to the ULV CPUs since it would allow the manufacturers to optimize their portable systems, but I somehow can't see this feature coming to all CPUs.

The article actually specifies exactly what you just said: XM & ULV only

Also, I was pointing out that (as far as this article states) dynamic TDP will be controlled by software/drivers.

Ok, read the article... now I see your point of ripping of TS, hehe, the article really describes features which Throttlestop already delivers for a lot of users. It's crazy that the author says that Ivy Bridge introduces a configurable TDP, it's simply wrong and makes the article looking less credible.

Well, IB isn't too far off, we'll know all the official stuff sooner or later. For the time being I'm very pleased with my 920xm and the almighty Throttlestop!

• Thumbs Up 2

I always find it odd that the mainstream media tends to completely ignore ThrottleStop. It's almost like Intel twists their arms and tells them don't mention ThrottleStop or we will forever cut off your supply of CPUs.

Intel didn't like my RealTemp program either and even got a couple of guys to write a paper explaining why RealTemp was all wrong. I have learned to ignore Intel. They must have noticed what ThrottleStop has been up to because they put a lot of effort into all the lock bits they created for Sandy Bridge. :)

Configurable TDP in the next generation sounds like a great idea. I wonder where they got that from.

• Thumbs Up 4

In my opinion, its a blatant copy of unclewebb's work. If the roles were reversed I have no doubt they've would have taken it to court and got sued over copyright infrigiment... So much about that.

I think mainstream media is too dumb to figure out what Throttlestop is, what it does... all 99% of the "review" website do is list you the manufacturer specs and say how the laptop performs "well" at multitasking (No freaking kidding, it can do the same what a single core PC could? Amazing!). On top of that, AnandTech is one of the better websites... even though afaik their M17x review contained few big flaws as well. Imagine what the rest of the websites are -- I know some of them just put manufacturer's photos and don't even review stuff.

Its so hard to find good quality of anything these days.

It's the same BS as when Dell's throttling laptop problems first started to surface. Dell did a great job of quickly putting out a press release and telling the world that there was a new bios release for the throttling Latitude E6400 and everything was now fixed. There was not a single review that I ever found that bothered to test Dell's claims. I even requested some major sites like Tom's Hardware to get to the bottom of this issue but I was ignored. Dell had more throttling laptops in their line up than laptops that didn't throttle but no one wanted to bite the hand of Dell. Most computer review sites and magazines do little more than regurgitate anything that Dell or Intel tells them.

I wonder if the all new adjustable TDP feature is going to be an option that you will have to pay extra for. Kind of like how Dell charges extra for the M18x overclocking option.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I imagine they'll try to cash in on it. I read somewhere before Sandy Bridge was released that this would happen with 2920xm (you'd be paying quite a bit extra for unlocked extreme CPUs), but it seems decision is atm on the computer manufacturers. For Thinkpads even the famous W series, my impression is that the cooling just doesn't cut it for high end SB CPUs (its quite a bit inferior to M17x/M18x for example) -- also you can buy X220 with i7 2620M and it runs at 95 C on full load. Its a freaking joke that they're allowed to get away with this. Also, whoever bought Thinkpad W520 (you are aware of it but others maybe aren't) which is their most powerful laptop atm, with 2920xm must be pretty pissed off, since the overclocking is locked through Lenovo BIOS making you look like an idiot for paying double for 2920xm compared to 2820. Basically even if Intel does release unlocked CPU, manufacturer can still lock it. So you need 2 stars to align -- Intel and Lenovo/Dell.

I agree with you, the concerns should be voiced by more popular websites, rather than just a handful of threads on couple of forums, quite a few of which are moderated like they just wait to delete these "unproductive" threads.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my opinion, its a blatant copy of unclewebb's work. If the roles were reversed I have no doubt they've would have taken it to court and got sued over copyright infrigiment... So much about that.

I was trying to stay positive!

Interesting points regarding possible structure. I sure hope (but highly doubt) you're wrong!

• Founder

T|I covered ThrottleStop in depth during our M18x review. Guess not many other sites want to follow in our footsteps in fear of losing their free samples. Once I finish up with this med school business in the next few months, I plan to start doing a lot more desktop/notebook reviews and they'll continue telling it how it is. We're not a sponsored website and so we have no worries about a sponsor pulling their ads on us.

• Thumbs Up 2

@kune,

I now, mate. But I am worried Intel will definitely try to cash in extra on the TDP unlocking. On the positive side, it may mean a bit better battery life. I guess we'll see what happens.

@Brian,

Yup, I am aware of T|I review - ofc I wasn't referring to T|I, but some "other" websites. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see Intel changing the register locations in Ivy so ThrottleStop will probably work with them with only a minor update as long as the laptop manufacturer cooperates and doesn't set any of the lock bits.

A bios mod will fix that if they do. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Guest Dasboogieman

Freaking ridiculous, I'm loving the unlocked TDP on the good old 920xm and was hoping that Intel would finally enable TDP control for Ivy Bridge. I'm very pissed if manufacturers will lock it down since it basically allows them to cheap out on cooling so you never get your CPU's full performance . I found it funny and disturbing at the same time that Arrandale had an unlocked TPL, it was disturbing because the TPL needed to be a good 30% more aggressive for a full turboboost on a Dell Inspiron. Basically they cheaped out on the cooling so much the i5-460m never boosted to 2800mhz, jacked the TDP/TPL to something healthy like 120/85 and the thing ran like a charm, the real kick to the balls was the temps only went up to 72 degrees :o