Big case and phase change OR test bench and LN2?

Jimbo

As the thread title suggests...  

3 members have voted

1. 1. As the thread title suggests...

• Phase change baby, learn in steps.
    • Learn by doing! Nut up and get some LN2!

Basic question - $1500 worth of awesome case - http://www.ldcooling.com/shop/l/51-ld-pc-v10-phase-change.html

Or a test bench and LN2?

I'm a bit nervous about ln2, sub-zero is a whole new world to me. Maybe I would be better to start with the phase change?

Opinions....... Go!

Edited by Jimbo

Considering that both methods require a lot of work (monitoring, insulating etc.) and the relatively short life of phase change coolers, I'd go for the pots (and bench table :)).

You know you can also use dice with the pots, this will cool down the system very well, but you usually don't have to worry about coldbugs with dice. LN2 is a different story and requires much more experience and care.

Also it's usually easier to get your hands on dice (and ethanol or similar) than on LN2. Do you have a good source for these things?

Phase change is crazy expensive, especially because they don't necessarily have a very long life span.

• Founder

I would go with a testbench and phase change cause you can have easy access to the hardware plus you maintain subzero cooling 24/7 contrary to LN2 that you will use it only for benchmarking.

Also the insulation for phase change can be used for LN2 without many mods

I don't think you can use phase change 24/7... just think of all the condensing water. And besides I thought phase change coolers weren't designed for 24/7 use, though I might be misinformed, never worked with one myself...

Ah, and don't forget the noise... could be annoying for extended periods.

Nah it's cool bro, not like Australia is hot or anything.:48_002:

I've seen 45c in the shade, you should be able to relate, it was nasty hot when I was in Greece. ;)

It is an issue as the GPUs will still be watercooled. Unless I get some kind of water chiller happening. Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Decision made boys, ordered my two stage cascade cooler, -100c temps here I come.

Standing invitation to all members who want to try parts at sub-zero, but you'll have to come to me. :D

Still need a new case with plenty of space for rads, only going to use the cascade for benching.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...