What's your first personal computer?

tarentyeh

• 2 weeks later...

Early 1980's:

Apple ][+

140KB floppy drive

32KB of RAM

monochrome monitor

It was on this computer I learned programming in logo, basic, pascal. :) Also connecting to local BBS' using an acoustic coupler modem. It was so slow the text had to catch up to what I would type. 300 baud, I think. Fun times. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

Dell Inspiron 1420

Cpu: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T5750

Ram: 3GB DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz

Graphics: Mobile Intel 965GM Express

Needless to say. Its was a piece of S*** but it was my very first laptop and it got the job done. I was so harsh on that laptop, it started falling a part internally and on the exterior. The laptop now sits in my basement locked away... Until I recycle the thing.

• 2 weeks later...

It was terrible stuff, i get in in 1997 like a present and it was: Pentium 2, 64mb ram and GeForce 2 with 40GB HDD

Actualy i ask my parents present me PS1 but they buy PC, in first few days i was frustrating and dont know what i must do with him and how to play and install somthing, i was 7 years old, but now i understand what that was a best present )))

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

My first PC was in the 90's. Honestly can't remember much about it except that it ran Windows 98 and could handle Theme Park heh. I didn't actually build my own until a few years ago.

My immediate family's first PC was one my mother purchased, the Pentium 75. It was cool because for my friends that were gamers, ours was the fastest until we chased each other with upgrades for several years.

My extended family's pride and joy was a new 486 my mother's father purchased. He may still have it to this day since the last I recall was that he told my grandmother he still uses it and wants to get every bit out of his $7000 purchase.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

My first PC was a Corona Portable PC, It was based on an 8088, ran at a whopping 4.77 mhz, had 2 floppy drives, 256k of RAM and a monochrome screen, the keyboard tucked away into the cover that went over the face of the PC.  I later upgraded it to 512k of ram by buying 16 dram dips and plugging them in one by one hoping not to bend any pins.

corona.jpg

Edited by Brixius

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine was a Mac SE30.  I still remember the installable interrupt button.   It allowed you to run debug on any program that crashed thus preventing the whole computer from crashing and causing lost of work.

Heh, brings back old memories of ultima RPG gaming on the old NES and making maps for dungeons and areas.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets talk old school here...  My father bought us a TRS-80 Model I

Radio_Shack_Tandy_TRS-80_Model_I_System.JPG

Came with a whopping 4K of RAM and we eventually upgraded that to 16K. Primary storage was cassette tapes, but we eventually got something called a "stringy floppy" which was a tiny cassette with a continuous loop of tape inside.

Had a few games for it.  One might have been pong and the rest weren't much better.  I remember playing scarfman, penetrator, and defense command.

Learned to program in BASIC on that beast.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...