Modifying Nvidia VBIOS files

Jimbo

So despite (or because of?) hitting P14k 3dm11 I want more from my GPUs, specifically I want to break 1ghz on the core since I'm sitting at 980-990mhz currently. Yes, I understand that I am risking two fairly pricey GPUs, but that is the cost of fun & games.:65:

I'm sure I've read about a way to modify nvidia BIOS files to allow more voltage adjustment than standard. Stock is 1000mV, I can use afterburner to adjust to 1150mV, am I crazy to think 1200mV should be ok?

Because I'm sure it will make things harder I should mention I'm running two EVGA 580s, however one is a 3gb version and the other is a 1.5gb black ops (superclocked with a sticker).

Can anyone help with how to achieve this?

EDIT: Failing that, there's one superclocked BIOS from a while back which applies more voltage, could I flash both cards with that even though one is 3gb?

• Founder

Since you combine 3 GB with 1.5 GB memory cards it will utilize the lowest one so why not flash them both with the 1.5GB vbios. Does the 3GB version have a switch so you can load a default vbios in case things go south?

The real problem I see is that you use a U3011 and with such a high resolution 3GB are necessary...

Can you post your original VBIOS here? I have no idea whether it allows you to go higher... If there's no higher voltage level available in the VBIOS you could go for a hardmod, though I don't know whether this is something you'd do.

I don't think the 1.5GB will be a limiting factor, the card has a 384-bit mem interface and overclocked it will have a bandwith of well beyond 200 GB/s, so there's pretty much possible, would be interesting to see a GPU-Z log... especially since you have three crazy screens.

I've used NiBiTor to up the voltage from 1.15 to 1.213, I'm going to try reflashing at some point tonight. I would consider hardmodding, have seen one vid on youtube with it being done. Maybe as a next step.

This is just for benching, I don't have the three 30"s working properly yet. (Any nvidia surround gurus here?)

And I can tell you that at 2560x1600 1.5gb is enough for all the games I've tried so far, including crysis 2 with everything on, though I'm well aware this probably won't be the case at 7680x1600.

EDIT: EVGA said flashing the 3gb card with a bios from a 1.5gb would likely brick the card, going to go with them on that one, especially since I can bump the volts myself (apparently).

Have never worked with desktop cards, but I guess that's the idea. After all this setting doesn't change anything in the different performance profiles, so I think it's simply going to increase the allowed max voltage.

You use afterburner? Have you ever tried Nvidia Inspector?

Hmm, I guess it's depends on your preference. MSI afterburner is a nice utility, though when I worked with Nvidia cards I prefered Nvidia Inspector. It provided some functions which weren't available with the MSI tool, and it has a very neat UI.

Make sure you choose the correct performance profile. If the core clock is greyed out it doesn't matter, core and shader should be linked, so just move up the shader. Let me know if it works, don't have a Nvidia system around atm.

Ok, that works.

It doesn't seem like I have the same control as afterburner, the clocks go by jumps and I can't type them in and the warning every time I click overclocking mode is annoying. Also no graphical logging like afterburner is capable of.

Considering I just set the clocks then exit the program, is there any potential benefit that would give me reason to persevere? Don't mean to sound harsh. :)

Actually no, lol :D Take whatever works best for you and your card. I don't know exactly how well it works for desktop cards, but it was by far the best tool for the mobile cards I've used so far.

Fair enough, I have found that it works for my 6990s but the clocks are limited, so I use Sapphire TRIXX on my M18X. Only problem with that is that it seems to reset the clocks to standard each time I restart, overclock then run a benching session. It's only the second time I run a bench (per restart) that it will hold the clocks I set it to.

Fair enough, I have found that it works for my 6990s but the clocks are limited, so I use Sapphire TRIXX on my M18X. Only problem with that is that it seems to reset the clocks to standard each time I restart, overclock then run a benching session. It's only the second time I run a bench (per restart) that it will hold the clocks I set it to.

if on the latest version go to trixx settings tab set autostart on, ulps off restart. Next set the overclock with set... go back to trixx settings select retore overclock at startup and exit the program. reopen and check that the overclock is still there.. and all the options are still checked... autostart, restore clocks, and disable ulps. If so now restart with the software still open and if it works like mine did now when it starts it says waiting a few seconds on a bar at top left of screen and then sets the overclock and disappears while trixx then remains in the system tray. This is on my M18x... let me know if that helped.. I ran into same issue and it seems to be you just have to make sure all the settings stick utilizing the steps I suggested. I hope it helps.

@mw86 thanks, but if I understand correctly that will run the OC every time I restart, I only want it for benching as games don't require it yet, did I miss something?
Oh okay I see, then leave out start with computer and follow the same steps and it will set your overclock I think as soon as you open trixx for benching i think. strange went over you OP and maybe you need to hit apply or ulps isn't setting the first time... are on on their latest? Edited by mw86

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...