Best thermal paste for y510p

daicharade1

Hello everyone! This is Ali from Pakistan. My laptop overheats when gaming and I know the factory paste job on the CPU and GPU is horrible. I was looking for a good paste but seems there are conflicting opinions and results among the top brands being used. I read about Coolaboratory's Ultra liquid metal and its hazards , some suggest ICD 7 but then its abrasive, others are hard to remove etc. So its all a little confusing picking the best one. I had some AC MX-3 left over which I used for repasting the Ulrabay but it doesn't work as well as I thought. Due to nonavailability I have to decide between AS5, Ceramique 2, Alumina, MX-4 and CLU. I wanted to buy a paste that could be used on both the CPU and GPU and has a longer lifespan since I'm not comfortable changing the TIM every 5-6 months. I was leaning towards CLU because of its tremendous heat transfer, but some say it dries within 12-18 months and welds the heatsink to the die, plus its expensive. So kindly suggest among the pastes mentioned and your experiences with it.

Lenovo Y510p

i7 4700MQ

755m SLI

• 3 weeks later...

I can highly recommend MX4 and AS5. I think MX4 has slightly better thermal transfer than AS5, and is non conductive. But I've also used AS5 for many builds and never had issues. I'm afraid of the diamond paste being too abrasive but I've never personally used it.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...