UI Lag on External Monitors After El Capitan Update

seabassr

I upgraded my early 2015 13" MBP from Yosemite to El Capitan last night and am experiencing serious lag when connecting to my external monitors (2x Dell 4k P2415Q) via my eGPU (GTX960). I had been using goalque's script to successfully run both monitors with great results on Yosemite (minus a little inconsistency with the computer booting up). I am still able to run both monitors plugged directly into the MBP's Thunderbolt ports and experience no lag when just using the laptop on it's own. Has anyone else experience this issue and come up with a solution? I'm currently using NVIDIA Web Driver: 346.03.02f02.

I upgraded my early 2015 13" MBP from Yosemite to El Capitan last night and am experiencing serious lag when connecting to my external monitors (2x Dell 4k P2415Q) via my eGPU (GTX960). I had been using goalque's script to successfully run both monitors with great results on Yosemite (minus a little inconsistency with the computer booting up). I am still able to run both monitors plugged directly into the MBP's Thunderbolt ports and experience no lag when just using the laptop on it's own. Has anyone else experience this issue and come up with a solution? I'm currently using NVIDIA Web Driver: 346.03.02f02.

What’s your Xbench Quartz Graphics Test score? I got ~229 for R9 390, ~224 for GTX 980, and ~84 for Iris Pro on OS X 10.11. My UI test score was pretty much the same (score 19). Tested with a single U28D590 display (3840x2160@60Hz).

XBench Scores:

MBP Iris 6100:

Quartz Graphics Test: 108.64

UI Test: 20.46

MBP w/ eGPU (GTX960)

Quartz Graphics Test: 31.22

UI Test: 5.20

One other thing I noticed after the update is that when connected to the eGPU, the on board Intel Iris graphics card is not listed under the About This Mac Overview. As you can see in the picture, it says the GTX960 is running the laptop's screen in addition to the two external monitors. Not sure if this is of any significance, but on Yosemite, the Iris graphics would always be listed as running the laptop's screen.

post-39581-144950009236_thumb.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

XBench Scores:

MBP Iris 6100:

Quartz Graphics Test: 108.64

UI Test: 20.46

MBP w/ eGPU (GTX960)

Quartz Graphics Test: 31.22

UI Test: 5.20

One other thing I noticed after the update is that when connected to the eGPU, the on board Intel Iris graphics card is not listed under the About This Mac Overview. As you can see in the picture, it says the GTX960 is running the laptop's screen in addition to the two external monitors. Not sure if this is of any significance, but on Yosemite, the Iris graphics would always be listed as running the laptop's screen.

That’s extremely low score. Quite the same have been reported here. However, I didn’t notice any UI lag with my reference GTX 980, the same 346.03.02f02 web driver. Might be possible that current driver is not Quartz compatible with the GTX 960 on OS X 10.11. Quartz layer is responsible for almost everything what you see on the screen. As said, Apple is making big changes under the hood for AMD core graphics. AMDMTLBronzeDriver.bundle includes new AMD codenames, for instance “Fiji XT” and “Fiji Unknown”.

See under the system report, Graphics/Displays and press Command-R to refresh the view to see which GPU actually outputs the screen.

• 1 month later...