nVidia 980ti flash to Titan X?

AngieAndretti

I own a Gigabyte G1 Gaming Edition of nVidia's massive new 980ti GPU. It's a great card as-is but I do love to tinker and I'm aware that it uses the same core (GM200 I believe) as the new Titan X GPU, the only difference aside from the 6gb GDDR5 RAM versus the Titan's 12GB is that some of the CUDA cores are disabled on the 980ti, giving it 2,816 active cores instead of the full 3,072 on the Titan X.

I'm curious if it would be possible to flash a 980ti so it thinks it's a Titan X and would therefore use that additional block of previously disabled cores. I remember it was once very easy to do this with, say, the old ATI Radeon cards - one could buy a certain relatively cheap card, flash it to something better that used the same core, and even bolt on a better cooling fan, overclock, and that's all it would take to build a way stronger rig for a bargain price. Those were the days, right! I'm sure there are safeguards in place now to make this more difficult because companies like nVidia don't like to lose money, and that difference in amount of video RAM might require a "hybrid" modded VBIOS, but do you think it could be done? What obstacles would have to be overcome? Where might I start in researching this further?