Y510P throttled to 0.8 Ghz during gameplay

elementalfx

I am having problem with my CPU being throttled 100 percent for a moment while playing Far Cry 4 for 10 minutes.

But first put the facts on the table:

Y510P 755M SLI, i7-4700MQ,16GB-1600 Ripsaw RAM, stock HDD.

I am using 3.05 modified bios, Ultrabay VBIOS unlocked.

Intel CPPC is enabled in bios due to constant throttling every 10-15 seconds

Runing CPU on stock clocks.

Both GPUs undervolted 100mv.

Repasted everything with Gelid Extreme cca 1 year ago.

When I started to have throttling problem I have tried Throttlestop but that did not worked qiet well for me so I tried Intel CPPC in BIOS and that seemed to fix that issue for one day. But today I started to have problems while playing Far Cry 4 when game crashed every time CPU was throttled 100 percent down to 0.8 Ghz. Yesterday I was happy that I had stable frequency [email protected] after one hour of intense gaming. No drops in frequency no throttling, stable temperature around 90C, no spikes in graph for 1 hour.

Here is screenshot of graph taken from XTU during throttling from today. post-26392-14495000919141_thumb.jpg

It is strange because 100 percent throttling occured when temperature was 82C, Package TDP droped to 9W, Core TDP 3W.

Any ideas why is it throttling CPU for no reason? Yesterday I was around 90C and no throttling occured.

I am thinking it may be adapter problem but my room is quiet cold and since adapter have thermal fuse and turn itself off when overheated I just dont get it why this occurs.

I am waiting for 4900MQ next month so I will see if its CPU thats screwing up but until then I want to solve this issue with current setup.

Intel XTU cannot fix the CPU throttling problems that the Lenovo Y510P has. You will never achieve maximum performance while you are running Intel XTU. Those colorful graphs look nice but they are slowing down your CPU and reducing performance and Intel XTU does nothing to stop the throttling.

You should try downloading ThrottleStop 8.00 and then take some time and learn how to use this program. It was specifically written to get the most out of the Y510P.

ThrottleStop 8.00

https://www.sendspace.com/file/tmc96z

Click on the FIVR button and try setting the Non Turbo Ratio to 1 and also select the Lock option.

vcx76A4.png

That's a new feature that I think can help the Y510P.

Did you install a specific driver for Intel CPPC? If your CPU is not running consistently and it is throttling down to 800 MHz then CPPC and Intel XTU are not the answer to your problems. Get rid of them.

This guy wrote to Intel on their forums asking for an improved version of Intel XTU that actually stops the throttling.

https://communities.intel.com/thread/85921?start=0&tstart=0

ThrottleStop is the only solution at the moment so learn how to use it. Post some screenshots and ask specific questions if you do not understand how to set it up.

• Thumbs Up 1

I used XTU just for monitoring, no OCing. Intell CPPC driver was downloaded from here, since Ideapad does not have this feature unlocked in original bios. Anyway. Thanks unclewebb for your help. I will try TS and will see if that helps.

Edit: I tried FIVR as you said but after 1 min of gameplay laptop just freeze and restart itself.

The Intel CPPC driver that you installed is not for the Y510P. Installing an unsupported driver might cause more problems than it solves. The Lenovo webpage shows that Uninstallation is not supported.

Are you sure your GPUs are stable with a 100 mV undervolt? What sort of testing have you done recently? Can you run 3D Mark or any benchmark program like that with this undervolt? As CPUs and GPUs get older, they sometimes require additional voltage to remain stable. An undervolt that was stable 6 months ago or a year ago might not be stable now. What temperature are your GPUs running at? You might need to redo the thermal paste on everything.

Just to put in my experience, my CPU was reaching about 85 celsius under heavy gaming load, my bigger problem was Ultrabay which was going to 98 celsius.

Installed the modded BIOS and undervolted both Main and Ultrabay GPUs by 87.5mV (Value -87.5mV)

Used Intel XTU to reduce the Core 3 and Core 4 clock multipliers to 27x. (I think this is what you should try - You wont lose much performance)

My current CPU temps dont ever go beyond 75 celsius, playing Dragon Age Inquisition/Shadow of mordor on high settings.

I dont know what is CPPC, but if you need feedback I can refresh my knowledge with that.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Intel CPPC driver that you installed is not for the Y510P. Installing an unsupported driver might cause more problems than it solves. The Lenovo webpage shows that Uninstallation is not supported.

Are you sure your GPUs are stable with a 100 mV undervolt? What sort of testing have you done recently? Can you run 3D Mark or any benchmark program like that with this undervolt? As CPUs and GPUs get older, they sometimes require additional voltage to remain stable. An undervolt that was stable 6 months ago or a year ago might not be stable now. What temperature are your GPUs running at? You might need to redo the thermal paste on everything.

Intel Collaborative Processor Performance Control driver is not for Y510P. I know that but hardware IDs matched so I used that one. I know that it should cause more troubles than help but it worked for a day :D. I must check on temps of GPUs. I will do some benchmarks when I get some free time. Repasting was done 1y ago but I will do that anyway as I am waiting for i7-4900MQ so I am going to repaste everything anyway. I remember that when I used -112.5mV it was stable for some time but it gone unstable so I am using -100mV for one month now. I will try higher voltage and I will see if that helps.

I am also thinking about DIY eGPU when I get some free time. That way I may be able to free some degrees for CPU.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to put in my experience, my CPU was reaching about 85 celsius under heavy gaming load, my bigger problem was Ultrabay which was going to 98 celsius.

Installed the modded BIOS and undervolted both Main and Ultrabay GPUs by 87.5mV (Value -87.5mV)

Used Intel XTU to reduce the Core 3 and Core 4 clock multipliers to 27x. (I think this is what you should try - You wont lose much performance)

My current CPU temps dont ever go beyond 75 celsius, playing Dragon Age Inquisition/Shadow of mordor on high settings.

I dont know what is CPPC, but if you need feedback I can refresh my knowledge with that.

Thanks I will also try your suggestion. Well if you want to try CPPC its up to you but as unclewebb said, its not officially supported so it may cause more troubles.