Clevo P650SG GPU Performance

Hi there,

I have recently bought a Clevo P650SG which comes with a GTX980M 4GB DDR5 GPU and I’m pretty happy with it but I’m concerned with the GPU performance.

I’ve been testing this against a Gigabyte P35W-V4 that I also have which has a GTX970M with 6GB DDR5 ram.

Both have 8gb of ram and an i7-5700.

Using 3DMark I was able to achieve a score of 9800 with the Clevo laptop, and 8100 with the Gigabyte. There is a reasonable difference here, however in games the performance is negligible.

Playing the Witcher 3 on ultra I got about a 2-3 FPS difference when I was expecting a little more.

In Ark: Survival Evolved (I’m aware it’s not been optimised fully) on ultra I am still only getting about 20 FPS, the same as I got with the 970M. This is the most disappointing as it’s unplayable using the 970M and was hoping the 980M would solve it.

Virtually identical FPS in Batman: Arkham Knight.

I understand the 970M is a decent card but I was expecting to see a reasonable GPU boost with the 980M. So far I’ve not really seen that apart from on 3DMark.

So the question is is my GTX980M getting throttled? How would I be able to find this out?

Also, my GPU is running about 80-82 C while playing games. That seems quite hot, could this be affecting performance? However this temperature is no different from the Gigabyte that seems to be matching the Clevo's peformance.

Cheers

• 1 month later...