Planning on getting a new Laptop. Suggestions?

clleavage

Question

Hello,

I've had my Y580 a while now and due to so many complications I feel like I should be replacing it soon. I though about building my own custom laptop alot. My roommate is hell bent on Apple and there's no way in hell I'm going that route. Can anybody suggest anything in the 1000 to 1500$ CAD range (I think that would be approx 600-1000$ USD)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

- Clleavage

11 answers to this question

I've been holding off for a while myself. I really like the Auros but for CAD the SLI graphics is next to useless. I'm not a fan of the Y50-70 because of the horrible wireless card and I feel the build quality reduced. I was hoping Skylake would bring some brilliance but it has failed to impress the desktop market. At least it will bring with it new wireless cards. I am interested to investigate the build quality of the Gigabyte laptops so if anyone has any feedback on them that would be nice to hear.

Truth is, there is no good CAD range laptop out that improves on what you have. I'll keep you updated as I investigate further the new releases this month and next.

If you are serious about building your own and place power over portability, I would go with a Sager NP8651/Clevo P650SE chassis

While it goes very slightly over your budget, the very option of being able to easily swap out the gpu in the future and it's base upgradability make it worth it.

Lenovo's quality and service are sub-par in my experience

18 hours ago, Klem said:

On 10/8/2015 at 4:49 AM, clleavage said:

Hello,

I've had my Y580 a while now and due to so many complications I feel like I should be replacing it soon. I though about building my own custom laptop alot. My roommate is hell bent on Apple and there's no way in hell I'm going that route. Can anybody suggest anything in the 1000 to 1500$ CAD range (I think that would be approx 600-1000$ USD)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

- Clleavage

This is my second Asus laptop and I love them!

They are true desktop replacement that are great value for money and run very cool with very little fan noise when gaming or during daily use.

I am using a G752VY but you can get the cheaper model that fits your budget.

Hello,

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

- Clleavage

Strictly in your budget your options are the lenovo y700 and the Dell Inspiron 7559.

If you don't mind stretching your budget just a bit I would highly recommend the Eurocom Sky series(based on Clevo), MX for portability and price, X for the best performance, customizability and upgradablity offered by laptop in a long time.

http://www.eurocom.com/ec/productsg(1)ec

Edit: request Eurocom for Prema unlocked BIOS and VBIOS if you plan to tweak clocks and voltages.

Sent from my Micromax AQ4501 using Tapatalk