M18x A03 Bios Modifying via Da_G's Method of Hex/Registers Editing

mw86

I can help... Throttlestop won't raise the multipliers you must extract your bios with the method above... open it in Hex editor and follow the steps to get to the registers... next scroll down till you see your multiplier 45/45/45/45 and edit them till they say the desired amount. If you are attempting 5ghz... you may need as high as 56flex or higher maybe but 37 probably minimum. BTW start with a basclock combo and multipliers that wont put you over 5ghz... get that to actually boot to windows ... then try to go higher so that way you know what it took to get 5ghz to boot. Temps are extreme when loaded like this... and 5ghz quad under the best scenario possible could only be about 1-2seconds long... but it seems with high enough flex like 56 I can pass a 1thread Intel Burn Test and not crash on an hour of large fft on prime95 in 1thread mode.

@iPhantomhive s

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2395[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2396[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2397[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2398[/ATTACH]

Those pictures show the Hex editor software. Basically this is the only way to set over 45X you can set up to 50X though. I was thinking of making a basic youtube video guide and put it in the guide above with Fraps and a video camera to document it... would this be something of interest to you guys. I have the free fraps so like Steven... i would have to do 30sec clips and combine them.

added this info and pics to the guide just now too and a couple observations.

here are the bios registers explained and also the text from Da_G's original guide both in a notepad file.. ill attach here and also add to the guide above

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2390[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2391[/ATTACH]

Not sure if you made the video already? This is my first time using hex tools , I don't really get it...

@iPhantomhive I don't think I have enough time right now but before end of month I will try to have a video that covers the unlocked bios, the hex editing, the use of Intel Extreme Tuning Utility among this and also the use of Throttle Stop.

• Thumbs Up 2

While waiting on the video I have revised and changed the guide more... you can get a brush up on everything and watch the video too. I mainly wanted things to flow better and be clearer. Hopefully you guys like it. As I have time I'll keep this up to date with my findings.

*The use of Intel Tuning Utility will be added to this guide soon.

Edited by mw86

• 2 weeks later...
Nop never repasted. I guess I'll get some , usually crash is overheat?

well overheat or limits of the hardware (we truly need an overvolt of .5 volts is all like in Svl7's mod but not feasible for most of us too Frankenstein our cards) I am repasted and I saw about 10-20mhz more on core and my 1210mhz overclock on ram went from mid 90s in furmark to 81 max and mostly about mid 70's. So for me with rbe editor i flashed my cards for gaming 24/7 clocks i have 830/1100 locked on every power profile so it never clocks down which adds stability in games where on occasion the clocks were going between 3 and powersaving clocks in between high stress scenes. Go through the M18x bench thread look at me and Jimbos runs... Jimbo got higher clocks out of his for bench purpose but he had lower temps than all of us being in Australia at night and a AC unit not sure what else you utilized Jimbo.... so for bench clocks for me on 3dmark11 i have about 845/1210 max and 850/1215 on Vantage. Vantage will see you ever so slightly higher and 3dmark11 is so strong you'll have to watch your core speed good. Now your limits seem close to my 24/7 overclock for gaming. I would suggest posting either a pic of gpuz or hwinfo after running one of those runs for us here... if memio/vram modules are in 90's instability will follow... even if its high 80''s the paste instead of pads on vram and voltage regulators etc... i saw drop of 20c average maybe slightly less in high stress... the core only saw about a 10c improvement.. check on the ICD survey results... it helped even on Stamatis's R2 and its 5870's....

whats with your ram Iphantom your modules are mixed in matched according to that screen shot... you have 1800mhz ram with two 4gb modules and two 2gb modules for a total of 12gb right... it may not be a prob but i've always been used to using all the same sized modules... anyways... guess if it runs good it doesn't matter if the dimms are different capacities.

Iphantom i want to help find reason for your invalid tesselation result... please post exact driver version you are utilizing now... could have something to do with that... as I or Jimbo have never seen that before...

heres what the site says try downloading the patch located below...

Unable to verify AMD Catalyst tessellation setting, result invalid

This message can appear only with 3DMark 11 results from systems using ATI/AMD video cards. It appears when the benchmark run was done with too old SystemInfo module and there is no way to verify if AMD Catalyst Tessellation Controls were modified for the benchmark run. Most likely the result is comparable with other scores, but there is unfortunately no way to tell.

This error should appear only with old benchmark results submitted prior to the introduction of Futuremark SystemInfo 4.2. To correct the problem, update SystemInfo module to the latest available and re-run benchmark. Latest SystemInfo installer can be found here.

Processor is not recognized or Graphics card is not recognized

System Info Fix click me

<!----->

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the help , I'll keep you guys update on next weekend , that's only my free time. I'll also repaste my cpu/gpu on this week. As for result invalid , i was flashed my gpu , with Unleash the full strength of HD 6970M CrossfireX - Hybrid VBIOS to unlock the virtual cores - a new milestone? , its been awhile I didn't roll it back to original.

It's coming up on all 6970/6990 results that don't use default CCC settings. :(

I'll check and post back here about it but I have not had that happen... maybe now on the new system info... but last i benched i used high performanc, tesselation on lowest etc etc. so you are getting same result Jimbo?

Your doing so great. Very nice bench. Can i give you some advice... i think somehow your cpu is throttling in that run you can see you have cpu at 4.7ghz which is great but if you had a run at 4.5-4.6ghz solid the physics score should be in the 10k region and if you get that to happen you could see another 100 or more points atleast in your total score. Either way thats one nice run those gpus are kicking but. Try lowering the cpu speed a tiny bit and lowering the flex just a tiny bit... maybe its all you need to stay cool enough for the 10k physics score.

see these

3dmark11 P8076 845core 1210mem 43 43 43 43 104.8bclk 4500mhz 3flex

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...00mhz3flex.png

AMD Radeon HD 6970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2920XM Processor,Alienware M18xR1 score: P8076 3DMarks

3dmark11 10123cpu 43 43 43 43 104.8bclk 4500mhz 3flex

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/...00mhz3flex.png

AMD Radeon HD 6970M video card benchmark result - Intel Core i7-2920XM Processor,Alienware M18xR1 score: P6049 3DMarks

see the 10k in physics? this is only at 4.5ghz... so try lower flex and speed enough that your not throttling... my guess is in some tests it didnt stay at 4.7 but dropped even lower than 4.5ghz hence 9k physics...

great job let me know if that helps...

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Jimbo you need to push your 6990 a bit , johnkss got his 580 with P8567 , 4 point more then you :confusion:

lol I don't think he cares but it would be interesting since he is only a few points under... Jimbo need similar clocks on his Gpus as he has been using but needs a cpu overclock like you iphantom... both of you should try to keep cool enough for a 4.6ghz run but if not try 4.5-4.55ghz... Jimbo may have had his at 4.5 to start so he needs to go just a little higher...