M18x A03 Bios Modifying via Da_G's Method of Hex/Registers Editing

mw86

Same prob with mine , you are getting that message about tessellation when you disable it in the control panel , you have to put it on application settings , makes a bit difference though , with tessellation disabled i get 8586 , with it on 7759 , so makes a big difference.

• Thumbs Up 1

Same prob with mine , you are getting that message about tessellation when you disable it in the control panel , you have to put it on application settings , makes a bit difference though , with tessellation disabled i get 8586 , with it on 7759 , so makes a big difference.

Its scary but yes it does make a difference as big as that. Those some 5-600 points is a large difference. There is two options and both may be accepted without that error as long as it isn't completely turned off and that is one called "application controlled" and "AMD optimized" under tesselation... I believe both are accepted by futuremark benchmarks.

Hi mw86 enjoying this forum very much , spend a lot of time on the notebook review forums , yes both are accepted but the score will be much lower if you use the amd optimized option the drop in points is even more , i have just installed in m18x a 2960 was trying to replicate your score of 10,000 lowering my flex but no , with amps what is best setting to start with , i am running 45x on all cores with a flex of 8 and my amps at 1050 which was recommended to me , but i feel the cpu runs a bit hot so whats a safe temp on these cpu ? i have repasted but used AS5 , but decided to order up some of that diamond paste to see if that helps , but i have no lock ups as regards to the temps , tried super pi 32mb and my time was 7mins 30 secs approx anyway any tips would be greatly appreciated .

Cheers.

Hi mw86 enjoying this forum very much , spend a lot of time on the notebook review forums , yes both are accepted but the score will be much lower if you use the amd optimized option the drop in points is even more , i have just installed in m18x a 2960 was trying to replicate your score of 10,000 lowering my flex but no , with amps what is best setting to start with , i am running 45x on all cores with a flex of 8 and my amps at 1050 which was recommended to me , but i feel the cpu runs a bit hot so whats a safe temp on these cpu ? i have repasted but used AS5 , but decided to order up some of that diamond paste to see if that helps , but i have no lock ups as regards to the temps , tried super pi 32mb and my time was 7mins 30 secs approx anyway any tips would be greatly appreciated .

Cheers.

since your just benching id say 95C should be your max... and never those ranges for long term or regular use.. damage will be likely if not careful but using the unlocked bios and changing in "thermal configuration" the throttle temp from 85c to 90c will help but you will throttle at that 90c no matter what. If your not getting bsods about voltage keep it at what you have... and if you can maybe go a little lower on the flex.. if you are just benching 3 flex should be close to sufficient for 45x but there are a lot of temp variations for all of us. if during the bench your speed drops and you were under throttle temp of 90c... add a little more watts to your watt limit... you amps are acceptable... raise them at this point only if raising watts hasn't helped maintain higher speeds. if bsods of voltage start popping up like 00000101 and 000000124 then add 1 flex... in 4.5ghz range you shouldnt need over 12 flex ever. i suggest backing down flex testing each time in your bench and then returning it to the last value that worked as that will be sure to keep you cooler and running faster.... if this dont give you 10k in 3dmark11 then go up over 4.5ghz a little... perhaps 4.525,4.33 etc but using same method bring flex up one at time only when proven necessary (ie a bsod) and raise watts and amps as well as you are raising the speed or it wont be able to maintain that speed. 300amp is well in safe zone or 2400primary plane... this number is actually not a literal limit... ie 300 amp will allow higher watts but doesn't mean the system will be really using a 300 amp max... its all tied in... raise watts and amps to same number and you should always be good ie you want 105 watt max try 105 watt with 105 amp max (stock is 97amp for reference)

Superpi is easy enough... in unlocked bios go to second from last tab go to advanced cpu settings the one with primary plane and set active core from all to 1 or 2 the best is determined by trying it... but i had good luck with 2 active so one in super pi could cool while other calculated and they switch back and forth. Turn off Hyperthreading in same menu section too for this type of benchmark. For super pi you need to see fastest you can get your cpu so test run reboot adjust test and repeat... raise flex slowly and only when a must and also raise those watts and amps as you go too.. to get over 99 watts throttle stop or editing bios is only way if in unlocked bios you select msr lock disabled throttle stop can set over 99watts up to 1000something... again its not really 1000 watt and depends what amps are set to how it will run. good range is from 4.5-5.2ghz and all depends on how high your cpu can handle... if its around 4.8 id say 18-23 flex if 4.9 23 to 30flex and 5ghz+ from 30flex to 99 (99 is too high most ever needed on my last cpu ever was 73 flex at 5086mhz) not all handle that my replacement 2920xm i have for the moment only would of done about 4.9ghz super pi... hope this helps let me know.

• 2 weeks later...
I give up lol , I can't reach more then that , stuck at 830/1210...added 1 (831) crash!! , (1211) crash!! always stuck at test 3

if you keep it extra cold you can bench higher possibly but may be the gpus just cant get over that... my 6970m's got 845core max and 850 max in vantage but 1215 max on mem and repasted with ICD24 on cores and the vram modules, voltage regulators everything that had a sponge.

if its crashing it may be a wall but if your run cooler perhaps it will go higher. if cores go over 50-60c they wont go to upper 800's on core but if around 60-70c you will be able to be in range your in now....

@murphey1965 i will have a spreadsheet cheat sheet that if followed assuming all chips are different and may require more or less volts and or support higher or lower frequencies. i'll post it in next few days it should be of use to all overclocking an XM.

• 3 months later...

Even though it's technically possible, I highly doubt that there's a GPU white- or blacklist in the M18x BIOS. Haven't checked though, but as a wide variety of cards is known to work fine I'm sure there's no such thing.