M18x A03 Bios Modifying via Da_G's Method of Hex/Registers Editing

mw86

Warning:

*First and foremost download and install the Dell stock A03 Bios and install it as normal.

*Without exception all software, files, methods and anything expressed here in and their respective owners or creators are not responsible for any damage to your system. You do not need to do any of this. You probably want to have more performance for the same amount of money but the risks are yours and yours alone.

*Warning all these options unlocked and even procedures if set wrong or done wrong can result in a bad flash or an unbootable system. Experimenting with unknown options is not recommended. Commonly if just changing options in the unlocked bios menus and a restart renders a unbootable system don't panic. remove the cmos battery with the system off and turn it on, it will beep turn it off and replace battery and at boot your system will be on stock bios settings.The most important thing is consult your peers, ask questions there are helpful people in these forums. When modding the unlocked bios below use an external mouse since the internal mouse and keyboard can freeze till the process is all done. For the keyboard your options are an external keyboard or use the on screen keyboard in start menu>programs>accessories>ease of access-on screen keyboard.

*I have not needed a recovery from a bad flash after hundreds of flashes so far but if it fails you need to do a "blind flash" to recover. A blind flash means you cant see anything on the screen but hold a couple buttons before powering on you computer with a special prepared USB stick with a bios file etc formatted in Fat file format to launch the file blindly and restore the bios. Just hope you don't need to but here is where the guide is if needed:Blind BIOS Recovery process for all M18X incase of corrupt BIOS

Section 1:

Download and flash this file here:

http://forum.techinferno.com/alienware-m18x/1123-m18x-bios-a00-a02-a03-unlocked-bios-provided-bios-mods.html

This is the A03 Unlocked bios which Ahmed - BiosMods has posted in this thread: DELL M18X A03 BIOS THROTTLE REMOVAL GTX580M SLI

This BIOS deserves much appreciation for its complete unlocking with all settings providing full functionality with only the exception being the thermal fan controls. Donations are encouraged they deserve it for all the hard work but the four heroes here kindly do not require it. Ahmed - BiosMods is one of them. Unclewebb's Throttle Stop is also a hero here. HWINFO software has fan control implemented for the M18x, accessed in the sensors window. Mumak is the name the creator of HWInfo goes by in forums. You can download his software at his website here: HWiNFO, HWiNFO32 & HWiNFO64 - Hardware Information and Analysis Tools Don't Forget *Please I reiterate if you like the functions of these files softwares or methods please donate to these amazing contributors. They are unlocking amazing potential in these systems for all users of the M18x's*

Flash this and set all the options the way you want it hit f10 save and exit the bios. Note if you are going to edit the bios manually it would be because you want to set certain settings beyond the available numbers allowed in the unlocked bios menus. An important thing is to set the settings you can in the bios first and don't reenter the bios once you have flashed a modded bios based off the unlocked bios since some of the settings can reset to the numerical limits of the unlocked bios menus. So for bios modding and helpful settings continue on.

*If you enter the Extended ICC menu pictured here and it freezes which happened to my system while in the bios if I enter it Requiring the power button held for 4 seconds to shutdown and then renter bios. So after re-flashing the original unlocked bios file this was fixed. So enter the Extended ICC menu and select to enable Watchdog(this option allows the bios to boot if you ended up setting a wrong setting in some cases and saving you the time of pulling the CMOS battery if your lucky. Other than that it would be good to get a feel for the settings available almost all settings have at least a very vague description from Dell next to them.

Below is the Extended ICC menu Pictured and also the Watchdog option shown. Don't mess with anything else in this Extended ICC menu or it will freeze the bios too.

post-34-14494991756677_thumb.jpg

post-34-14494991836134_thumb.jpg

Advanced Options Menu

post-34-1449499183437_thumb.jpg

Advanced>ThermalConfig

post-34-14494991834694_thumb.jpg

CPU Thermal Config

post-34-14494991835031_thumb.jpg

Platform Thermal Config

post-34-14494991835365_thumb.jpg

Advanced Cpu Control

Do not enable "Max Cpu ID Value Limit" as show above you system wont boot after and you will need to pull the CMOS battery.

post-34-14494991835718_thumb.jpg

Advanced Cpu Control

Section 2:

*Throttle Stop is useful to change your tdp watts up or down on the go once the msr lock is disabled in the bios under Cpu Power Options. Intel XTU can aso change your TDP but only up to 99 watts where as Throttlestop can set this as high as will register to the cpu plus it can show your current cpu state 8times per second and show cpu throttling other tools may not show and even better it is able to control and stop throttling On Sandy Bridge chips. A function of the log function in Throttlestop is there are 8 readings a second and readings include for sandy bridge wattage, battery wattage used when on battery, the cpu VID at the moment as well as the multiplier and if it was throttling and even the time. Having hotkey profiles and auto switching for battery and AC... this program is very handy for all Sandy Bridge CPUs just like its indispensable for i7 920/940XM users. The creator goes by Unclewebb in the forums. This is a very useful piece of software please donate if you like it. see Unclewebb's guide here http://forum.techinferno.com/throttlestop-discussion/23-throttlestop-guide.html for much needed background on cpus and how to use Throttle stop to get back control of your cpu.

Download the attached files at bottom of guide. Here is Da_G's instructions for editing with Hex Editor. Da_G is a user who figured out a basic way to modifying and flashing the bios further. He is another person that needs recognition here, donate if you like the wares. Hex editor has a trial for awhile so give this a try but if you really like it and plan to edit often when your used to modding buy Hex Editor.

Install the Hex Editor Hex Workshop: Hex Editor, Sector Editor, Base Converter and Hex Calculator for Windows. You will use the supplied platform.ini inside the insydeflash folder created in your temp folder after updating to Bios A03 to extract your bios for editing You can download this in "Insydeflash.zip" attached at bottom of post.

Da_G's Guide on Modding your Bios with a Hex Editor~

Requirements: Hex Workshop, Da_G's Stucture Defintion Library (attached), Latest BIOS update from Dell - Drivers and Downloads (tested with A03), Modified platform.ini for InsydeFlash (attached)

Prep: Install Hex Workshop.

* Copy bios.hsl from attached file into Hex Workshop structure library folder (C:\Program Files\BreakPoint Software\Hex Workshop v6.6\Structures in my case)

* Run the BIOS update installer.

* While it's running, check your %TEMP% folder for the most recently modified folder, copy it out to a folder of your choosing. This will have the InsydeFlash program in it along with PAR10MEC.fd which is the A03 BIOS.

* Go ahead and flash the A03 (or latest) BIOS if you haven't yet at this point.

Instructions: * Replace platform.ini in the InsydeFlash folder you copied earlier with the attached one from this post.

* Run InsydeFlashx64.exe

* It will now back up your existing BIOS to M18xR1.bin. It should be 4,096KB in size.

* You will be prompted to flash the A03 BIOS, click no.

* Open the dumped BIOS in Hex Workshop. It should look like the following screenshot:

post-34-1449499175428_thumb.png

* Click Tools - Structure Library - Select Structure Library, and choose the attached bios.hsl

* Click Edit - Find and search for Type: Hex Values, Value: AA557F00070000000C0000007F

* With the first byte of the sequence selected (AA, where the search result drops you off), click the green "plus" icon in the Structures pane. Highlight VSS_Setup, set it to "Locked Document/Offset" and press OK. Hex Workshop will now apply my M18x structure template to the data, allowing easy visualization and modification. You should see a green checkbox next to VSS_Setup and VSS_Generic just before adding the structure, indicating validation passed.

* Expand "struct VSS_Setup" in the structures pane, then expand SETUP_REGISTERS Setup_Registers inside. All the values in this list are the values I have deciphered so far. Unknown values are labelled as such.

* You can change any values now by clicking the value inside the "value" column and changing it to your desired value. Be very careful what you change as there be dragons here. (see attached screenshot)

post-34-14494991755081_thumb.png

* Click save when done, rename M18xR1.bin to M18xR1.fd, ensure there is no other .fd file present in the folder. (there will be PAR10MEC.fd inside here, go ahead and erase that so you have only the one .fd)

* Run InsydeFlashx64.exe

* This time after the BIOS backup is done, press OK to the prompt asking about flashing the new BIOS. The updater should display a progress bar, close, and power off once complete.

* Enjoy your modified BIOS

Notes:

* I lost both my attached keyboard and touchpad when running the InsydeFlash.exe in interactive mode, I suggest doing this with a keyboard and mouse attached. You can disable the prompts by editing platform.ini and setting Confirm=0 under [uI] if you don't have an external KB/Mouse. Note that you will still get prompted if you have an existing BIOS backup .bin present in the InsydeFlash folder at the start of flashing (do you want to overwrite? y/n)

* My system would not shut down/reboot after InsydeFlash completed it's flashing operation. I had to pull the AC power and remove/reinsert the battery to get the system booted back up.

* You can modify platform.ini to remove the AC/Battery checks, in my experience flashing from battery power fails with an SMI error, but flashing with AC and no battery plugged in works fine.

* If you decipher the values of anything unknown or errors in the Hex Workshop bookmarks, please post and I will update it.

Below is the help text associated with each option which may be useful.

Summary: The BIOS stores setup data in a register store called "VSS" stored alongside the BIOS itself. This area is not normally flashed during a BIOS update issued by Dell/Alienware. We are targetting this area for modification to enable us to change values not exposed to us in the normal BIOS setup program. (F2 at startup)

*If you enter bios after having modified and flashed a bios at any point a lot of values can be reset within their limits of the normal unlocked bios if you enter a menu area showing such a value programmed beyond the limits. If your flashing often to try settings you don't need to continue to extract your bios unless you've changed your baseclock. Open the .fd file you saved from the first flash. You don't need to open bios.hsl after the first time it should be loaded so skip to selecting Edit-find-okay-select + symbol - select okay on setup vss- hit plus next to setup registers-edit-save over .fd file in .fd extension - open Insyde Flash hit okay to write over bin hit okay flash will finish and exit. Shut down manually. Remove power including battery to complete. Start up and settings are in effect.

These are pics of the Hex Editor software

post-34-14494991756459_thumb.png

Now to see the most these XM CPUs are capable of and or just set a few performance options for your non-cm cpu read on.

Question: MooNiSLe @ Bios Mods

I have saw your reply in the thread "DELL M18X A03 BIOS THROTTLE REMOVAL GTX580M SLI" and try to modify my unlocked A03 BIOS. According to your method, I modify the value of CPU Current Limit, Long Duration PWR Limit, Long Duration TimeWindow and Throttling Temperature then re-flash the BIOS and reset. The result is it can run some test at 4500MHz without throttling now, but when I run the 3DMark 06 CPU benchmark, it still has a throttling there, so I wonder that could you send me a copy of your current M18x's BIOS? I want to find out what mistakes I have... Thank you ~

*Guys don't use someone elses copy of a bios if not careful you can overwrite your service tag in this way.

Answer: MW86 @ BiosMods

Well I don't think you need my exact bios since yours is the same. I can explain a little more though and make sure you understand. If you now after my advice are able to run at 4.5ghz quad... You did it. The settings you set are correct. Get your fans to spin at max speed and then you are all set. You lifted the thermal throttling which was the goal. Now what I noticed is after that and adjusting the thermal shutdown temp higher you can run into 100celcius without shutdown. So the only thing remaining is to know you can't get rid of all throttling because I discovered this. With the thermal throttle raised the CPU no longer drops 100's of MHz in speed at the same temps. But there seems to be a throttle that is not removable and part of how the chip functions. This is a power throttle... as the temps raise despite the thermal throttle removed the chip slows down a bit once your in the 100C range, but not the huge amount that the thermal throttle does. My explanation is this that as temps raise and load the chip will always need more amps (tdc) and more watts(tdp) plus higher voltage id's. So in conclusion raise all the limits I mentioned and do the runs as cool as possible with the fans way up and you won't throttle as much anymore. Also don't enter the bios at the start of the computer once you modified the values and flashed or you will have to reflash and set everything since the bios menu will reset any values you've changed that were not within the limits of the bios menus. Also don't raise the amps too far or the system will shutdown from overheating because the turbo speed was maintained too long. Also if you are raising speeds use a higher turbo flex vid the option is 0-25. Raising the volts too high creates unneeded heat bringing your speed down again... So its a fine balance of settings.

Answer: MooNiSLe @ Bios Mods

As your help, I found that when the temperature was higher than 100℃ the CPU will be throttled although I set the throttling temperature to 110℃ even more higher. So I use the HWiNFO64 to set the fans to 4000 RPM manually, and try to reduce the VID. Now I can run the test at quad core 4.5GHz and 0 VID override, the 3DMark 06 CPU Score is around 8300 marks, I was satisfied with the result : )

I've order a Cool Laboratory Liquid Ultra thermal paste on the amazon, and I hope it can let the CPU cool so I can try higher frequency with a acceptable temperature.

Answer: MW86 @ BiosMods

Thank you I'm very glad my advice helped you attain the speeds you want. So then by now you understand those speeds may not be fully stable to game etc but with proper adjustment we still can run this much faster than stock bios. So if from here you wanted to test for the highest you can run to leave your overclock all the time then run a few Intel burn tests on very high setting 8thread and prime95 8thread large fft or blend setting to test your ram overclock if you raised you baseclock any. By the way check out techinferno.com and head to the forum and read about our members myself included tested Innovation Cooling Diamond 24 (ICD 24) which has proven to me and many to be the best thermal paste around... On my gpus I saw amazing nearly drops in temps on the vram when used to replace thermal pads since its very thick paste.

Speedy Gonzalez's Recommended Settings

Shut Down Temperature -> 110

Throttle On Temperature -> 95

CPU_Current_Limit -> 1040

IGP_Current_Limit -> 1040

Enable C7 -> 1

Turbo PWR Limit MSR Lock -> 0

Long Duration Power Limit -> 120

Long Duration Time Window -> 128

Short Duration Power Limit -> 120

CPU Turbo Multipliers -> 45 / 45 / 45 / 45

Turbo VID Flex Override -> 25

Notes:

Almost all the major bios options for overclockers exist in the unlocked bios and mirror a desktop system bios almost missing just the very fine tuning of desktop bios options. Noteworthy is you can disable

Hyperthreading, which can help keep cores several degrees cooler while increasing single and dual core operations a little but lowers 8thread speeds as a side effect. AES can be disabled as which is a cpu security feature for encryption. Enabling Core State 7 is available in the unlocked bios which lowers the lowest idle watts more and lowers idle temps more. You can also disable core states altogether in the unlocked bios and use throttle stop to force the max turbo multiplier without drop in multiplier unless load, heat and voltage are the factor with core states unchecked. Bi-directional Prochot will make your cpu throttle under certain extreme situations and the system can heat up real quick if this is disabled. One can disable thermal throttling altogether by setting "Thermal Monitor" to disabled in the unlocked bios which would show in HWiNFO under summary windows as TM1 and TM2 in red(disabled). Disabling Virtualization is good if you don't use Virtual Operating Systems at all and is a normal bios option. The short term time limit can only be set to as high as 128seconds up from 56seconds max by bios menu... any higher doesn't only shows as 128. Shutdown temp can be set to 120 in bios and there's no need to go high by editing since this is way too hot already. Cpu Power limit in amps: divide the number by 8 and that's how many amps your are setting 0 is 97.5 amps automatically. The value in bios can go astronomical... So 140 amps is probably way too high. For the watts short or long by editing you can set anything over 99 but don't go too high as there is no limit this way so 140watts again is probably too high. Throttle on I have set to 100-120 and like Moonisle confirms there seems little difference over 100 but the chip may just do this due to required power draw rising as the temps do, so they may stop "thermal throttle" but your chip at that temp may throttle at those temps despite all limits raised above. Bios menu limits on turbo multiplier is 45 and using the edit method 51 is now the max.

So now if you read to here you can see some of the capabilities and also settings needed to reach these speeds without means of dry ice extreme cooling. So follows is some peak performance and the settings used to attain these levels so use them as reference on my behalf all are welcome to learn from it. These levels aren't stable for 24/7 use but a setup for that is simply attained by utilizing a couple stress test for a longer period of time and monitoring temps and errors. Apps like Intel Burn Test at very high 8threads and Prime95. Most likely a stable overclock for 24/7 use will be multiplier limited by you to keep clocks from rising out of your bounds and not only lower but may require a little more flex vid to keep it stable in hot endurance conditions like gaming. So its up to you if your just interested in benchmarking or if you want your rig the fastest it can safely be for gaming etc (both in my case). Either way this is the way to do it. The 3Dmark Vantage score that says Cpu is a physics tests that runs solely on the cpu meaning its number is a good way to compare cpu power. 3Dmark11 has a cpu only test and its just labeled physics but also has the same bearing as the Cpu test in 3dmark Vantage. Wprime is commonly used tool to compare I use 8thread testing on the stability test since its longer called 1024m. Those kinds of benchmarks are not very accurate but can provide a fair comparison of hardware components performance

You can set HWinfo to run fans automatically Mumak said:

1. If you put "OpenFanCtrlMin=1" at the end of HWiNFO32.INI (or HWiNFO64.INI respectively) that should automatically activate the fan control window in minimized mode too

2. Please check using task manager if it's still active

You can start it at start up via Task Scheduler and setting HWinfo to start at logon as a "basic task" and set open with highest privileges.

http://forum.techinferno.com/hwinfo32-64-discussion/65-alienware-fan-control-10.html#post14158

For the desktop overclocking theories for Sandy Bridge check out the guide here (great to get an idea of Sandy Bridge): Sandy Bridge Overclocking Guide & 5GHz CLUB

Some notable information from the above guide are:

post-34-14494991790298_thumb.jpg

Thank you PureOverclock.com 1.52 seems to be Intels max recommended Voltage ID on desktop. Try to stay within these Limits... Which may be an equivalent of 43Flex about 1.519volt max.

I wrote a guide here for some additional operational basics of the 2920xm such as basics based on the stock bios limits so it can give you a better feel of programming the chip the way you want it. (was posted a few months ago but had to be restored due to database error).

M18x Stock Bios Guide

I provided a guide on getting higher performance for Benchmarks here such as if you want to help at Tech Inferno's HWBot.org Team:

http://forum.techinferno.com/off-topic/1124-general-overclocking-advice-record-breaking-benchmarks.html

The following pics are scores from benches on the following system, meant to be reference for all who would like to try similar speeds so I show all the settings I used so everyone has a place to start so there is less guessing for everyone else. Cheers.

Now the key is right in a secondary menu that appears to be a copy of a normal stock menu in the bios. Go here and you can raise your vid even higher than what 25flex equaled. I have tested to 99Flex and it appears to actually raise the overclock voltage. But seemingly 1.5volts may be the limit although up to 99flex HWinfo seems to report the .2volts in the main window unhiding the menu next to 2920xm in processor shows specs and seems to report the voltage increases properly here.

*Be safe no one is responsible for any damages incurred or any income lost as a result. Happy overclocking.*

Unlocked Bios and Modding Examples:

post-34-14494991828967_thumb.jpg

30 Flex set out of 99flex max on unlocked bios where 25flex is max on stock bios

*Alienware M18x R1/2920XM OEM/16Gb 1600mhz HyperX 9-9-9-27 @1.65volts/ATI 6970M Xfire/basic 750gb HD/Fans at Max with Hwinfo/Notebook Cooler Zalmon NC-3000/(no dry ice, no air conditioning, battery removed for its safety, all covers on laptop in my house no freezer) The pictures and captions show the rest.

25flex .098 added volts or 1.4962

post-34-14494991829339_thumb.png

2920xm singlecore with Hyperthreading

post-34-1449499182978_thumb.png

4 Active Cores Hyper-Threading Disabled

post-34-14494991830256_thumb.png

4400Mhz at 98 percent of wprime 1024M 8thread

post-34-14494991830714_thumb.png

4695mhz 104.3bclk 45 45 45 45 wprime 8thread 1024m 12flex

post-34-14494991831181_thumb.png

c7 power State enabled

post-34-14494991831658_thumb.png

No shutdown at 100celcius

post-34-14494991832147_thumb.png

8threads 46 46 46 46 104.8bclk 4800mhz 20flex 135amps 110watts

post-34-14494991832574_thumb.png

5000mhz 8threads 50 50 50 50 w/50 flex 100bclk

With the 1.5volts to the core we can see a little usage in 5.0ghz range. Though 1.4 is probably too high.This was a very light 8thread load compared to anything like Wprime and Wprime is a light load compared to Intel Burn or Prime95. This type of setting could only last at 5ghz 8thread for a second or two.... more than 5 later would be a thermal shutdown from the heat produced. Single core would be more feasible than quad core at this speed possibly dual core if cooling is good. With flex at 56 I can pass a 1thread Intel Burn Test and not crash on an hour of large fft on prime95 in 1thread mode.

post-34-14494991833057_thumb.png

Throttlestop log 150watt part1

post-34-14494991833621_thumb.png

Throttlestop log 150watt part 2

post-34-14494991833997_thumb.png

99flex set so +387mv in overclock voltage added

post-34-14494991757134_thumb.png

post-34-1449499177325_thumb.png

51X multiplier on 2920XM

original guide.txt

Da_G's original guide in a text file

Hex Workshop: Hex Editor, Sector Editor, Base Converter and Hex Calculator for Windows required to edit bios

Throttle stop download

Hwinfo download

Special Thanks goes

to Ahmed and anyone else responsible for its creation, Da_G, Mumak, Unclewebb!

*Thanks Barcode, Johnkss, 0x29 and anyone else whom tested the bios.

~If you like my guide let us know in a post. Have questions feel free to post them as well as suggestions if any or if you would like something tested and the results posted... If I forgot to mention you please PM me so I may make corrections.~

InsydeFlash.zip

post-34-1449499175584_thumb.png

bios registers explained.txt

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 8

Uber-post, makes me wish even more I had access to an M18x to play around with it...

Thanks SVL7 and Unreal. It was a lot of work. I posted it and then all the formatting was messed up so i had to go line to line correcting. It's finally done adding a couple more pics at end. yes M18x has a lot of potential.

additional pics added at the end

If anyone has some corrections PM me and I'll fix it. Also if I have not gave credit where credit is do... again PM me and I'll make it right.

Edited by mw86

+rep

I'm sure I'll have many annoying questions once I flash it. :)

Starting to be seriously pissed at dell, I want my dual pipe heatsink! It's going to feel like a whole new laptop when I do 2920 + dual pipe + SSD + 1866mhz RAM + ICD on CPU/GPUs.

• Thumbs Up 1

That is one serious bad ass bios mod mw86.

My eyes almost popped out of my head when I saw 100% load and the 50 multiplier across the board.

I'll have to send Lenovo W520 owners a link to T|I so they can see what they are missing out on.

• Thumbs Up 1

You Guys thank you so much for all the support its been some crazy number chasing and 100's of restarts and reflashes etc. I've seen so many bsod's it's like a second language lol joking. This thing isn't tapped out yet.. there's more to explore... though my 5ghz experience was not capable of a big cpu load it was capable on 4threads and down so dual core and single core solid nearly... but long term quad speeds are trashed due to very high voltage and heat output.. still feeling out 5ghz range handling and working on a example of something like a 4.6ghz quad to 4.7-4.9ghz single core still deciding short term overclock for gaming and under big load like intel burn etc have the long term limit in watts programmed just right so it doesn't reach the thermal shutdown temps... both will take more testing.

took that pic of the tiger at the zoo... i love it for its profile shot of it.

Edited by mw86

Thanks for all the help so far, I'm running into a very strange (to me) problem. When at idle, this is what I see -

16283325.png

But as soon as I load the CPU the multi drops.

I have no idea what's going on.. I don't think it's heat as it happens instantly. Maybe not enough power?

58771330.png

Thanks for all the help so far, I'm running into a very strange (to me) problem. When at idle, this is what I see -

16283325.png

But as soon as I load the CPU the multi drops.

I have no idea what's going on.. I don't think it's heat as it happens instantly. Maybe not enough power?

58771330.png

Your fine you have to remember heat is the enemy. If you can use lower flex (voltage) drop on by one from where you are if you get a 00000124 bsod you went to far raise it back up one. Also go back to using the AMD cards not the internal GPU since your adding heat and power consumption to the cpu you won't operate as fast so go back to using the PCI express cards. If the multi's still wont maintain for the test start raising your tdp(watts) and if you've raised them quite a bit and the speeds drop again from what you want them to do add a little more TDC (amps) (also called Primary power plane rail in bios) test again and balance all the different settings... every bench you run will require different settings. if speeds are really high especially quad core you will need more voltage to survive the test. hint wprime 1024m try 4.5-4.6ghz and 32m try 4.7-4.9ghz. It's a lot of learning what it can handle under what settings. Go back and review pics i've posted and my giant ramblings for more info... let me know if you have other questions as you go. Hope this will help you get more points.

i'll teach you yet Jimbo lol...

No problem, btw if you want to mention someone use @ in front of her/his username (without space) :)

ie @iPhantomhive 

Edited , thanks for advise :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2380[/ATTACH]

Is the the furthest I go? I don't really understand with the 50 multiplier part:embarrassed: not sure if someone could kindly explain to me?

• Founder

You should be able to hit x50. Did you try to increase the multipliers from within ThrottleStop? I don't have access to an M18x so I need to find BIOS screenshots to see if you need to do something extra from within BIOS

You should be able to hit x50. Did you try to increase the multipliers from within ThrottleStop? I don't have access to an M18x so I need to find BIOS screenshots to see if you need to do something extra from within BIOS

I can help... Throttlestop won't raise the multipliers you must extract your bios with the method above... open it in Hex editor and follow the steps to get to the registers... next scroll down till you see your multiplier 45/45/45/45 and edit them till they say the desired amount. If you are attempting 5ghz... you may need as high as 56flex or higher maybe but 37 probably minimum. BTW start with a basclock combo and multipliers that wont put you over 5ghz... get that to actually boot to windows ... then try to go higher so that way you know what it took to get 5ghz to boot. Temps are extreme when loaded like this... and 5ghz quad under the best scenario possible could only be about 1-2seconds long... but it seems with high enough flex like 56 I can pass a 1thread Intel Burn Test and not crash on an hour of large fft on prime95 in 1thread mode.

@iPhantomhive s

post-34-14494991758115_thumb.png

post-34-14494991758717_thumb.png

post-34-14494991759327_thumb.png

post-34-14494991759971_thumb.png

Those pictures show the Hex editor software. Basically this is the only way to set over 45X you can set up to 50X though. I was thinking of making a basic youtube video guide and put it in the guide above with Fraps and a video camera to document it... would this be something of interest to you guys. I have the free fraps so like Steven... i would have to do 30sec clips and combine them.

added this info and pics to the guide just now too and a couple observations.

here are the bios registers explained and also the text from Da_G's original guide both in a notepad file.. ill attach here and also add to the guide above

bios registers explained.txt

original guide.txt

Edited by mw86
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can help... Throttlestop won't raise the multipliers you must extract your bios with the method above... open it in Hex editor and follow the steps to get to the registers... next scroll down till you see your multiplier 45/45/45/45 and edit them till they say the desired amount. If you are attempting 5ghz... you may need as high as 56flex or higher maybe but 37 probably minimum. BTW start with a basclock combo and multipliers that wont put you over 5ghz... get that to actually boot to windows ... then try to go higher so that way you know what it took to get 5ghz to boot. Temps are extreme when loaded like this... and 5ghz quad under the best scenario possible could only be about 1-2seconds long... but it seems with high enough flex like 56 I can pass a 1thread Intel Burn Test and not crash on an hour of large fft on prime95 in 1thread mode.

@iPhantomhive s

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2381[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2382[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2383[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2384[/ATTACH]

Those pictures show the Hex editor software. Basically this is the only way to set over 45X you can set up to 50X though. I was thinking of making a basic youtube video guide and put it in the guide above with Fraps and a video camera to document it... would this be something of interest to you guys. I have the free fraps so like Steven... i would have to do 30sec clips and combine them.

added this info and pics to the guide just now too and a couple observations.

here are the bios registers explained and also the text from Da_G's original guide both in a notepad file.. ill attach here and also add to the guide above

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2390[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2391[/ATTACH]

Thanks to mod who re-open this thread.

@mw86 Thanks for the guide , but it seem your attachment don't show up.

Thanks to mod who re-open this thread.

@mw86 Thanks for the guide , but it seem your attachment don't show up.

have no clue how the Thread got closed... I was aware of no reason for the thread to be closed but am glad someone here fixed it... thank you kind soul.

When I inspected my post which that material I also added to the OP and the only thing that wasn't working was 3of the 4 pictures... the text files for notepad seemed intact. I just re-uploaded those pics so try it again and let me know if you have any other questions... did you guys want a video guide to make things easier... it would take a day or two.? The pics are added and txt files are added to the OP and the one you replied to.

I

I see the check-box your right Stamatis... thanks it was me that hit it then... since I was reply to Iphantom's question. Thanks for being lightning fast lol... it's nice that someone other than me and Jimbo is now trying this bios.

• Thumbs Up 1