Imac 5k 2015 and egpu

oogie

Hi, I just bought a iMac 5k 2015 model and interested in setting up egpu unit for it.

I have been lurking around this forum and its my understanding that, in OSX you cannot use the built-in 5k monitor with egpu.

My question is, what happens if I plug in egpu unit connected to external monitor?

1. Does built-in screen of iMac go blank?

2. Does both internal monitor powered by internal graphics card and external monitor powered by egpu stay on?

3. If both monitors stay on, then does it function like regular dual-screen setup?

4. I mainly play Diablo 3 and how do I make it run on the egpu-connected external monitor?

Thanks in advance!!!!!

eGPU can't accelerate the internal screen in OSX.

The internal screen will still work, but you can only use the eGPU power on an external monitor. You could open Diablo III on the external monitor, switch to window mode and drag the window on the internal monitor (but you can't go full screen again).

Monitors connected to the eGPU will just work as an additonal monitor.

Thanks for the quick reply!

So in other words both internal and external monitor will work at the same time each powered by its own gpu right? And it will behave just like dual monitor system and any window I drag to external monitor will be powered by eGPU.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Also is it basically plug and play or do i have to fiddle with OSX?

Thanks a million!

So in other words both internal and external monitor will work at the same time each powered by its own gpu right?

Yes!

And it will behave just like dual monitor system and any window I drag to external monitor will be powered by eGPU.

Am I understanding this correctly?

No, any game you start on the monitor connected to the eGPU will run on the eGPU! You can't start it on the internal monitor!

Also is it basically plug and play or do i have to fiddle with OSX?

In OSX it is (pretty much) plug and play, yes! But you have to get the hardware right first ;)

No, any game you start on the monitor connected to the eGPU will run on the eGPU! You can't start it on the internal monitor!

Wow thanks!

Is it possible to assign certain program to start on external monitor in osx?

Thanks again!

If you make the external monitor your main monitor, games will start on the monitor. But I am not sure if you will be happy with starting games on a non-5k monitor, make them windows mode (if they have that option at all?!) and drag that window to your 5k display and play in windowed mode.

Quick question: Have you every tried plaing in Window mode? Imho, it sucks...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks alot for your help Dschijn!

Here is picture of my setup

post-39636-14495000929045_thumb.jpg

AkiTio Thunder2

Galax GTX970 Gamer 4mg (ITX sized card)

Imac 5k 2015

I have 2 problems.

1. On Yosemite, when I run the script thats on sticky post, it recognises card and installs the driver. When I reboot, computer recognise the GTX970 attached but somehow it acts as monitor is not attached on this card. So external display doesnt work. monitor says no signal.

2. On windows 10, it works great but about 60% of the time, when I boot, i get "ACPI BIOS ERROR" and it reboots couple of times....

Thanks!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

2. On windows 10, it works great but about 60% of the time, when I boot, i get "ACPI BIOS ERROR" and it reboots couple of times....

Please apply this solution that sets the apple_set_os UEFI variable, something that has helped Macbook users with eGPUs attached to get successful bootup: http://forum.techinferno.com/apple-egpu-discussion/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html

Please apply this solution that sets the apple_set_os UEFI variable, something that has helped Macbook users with eGPUs attached to get successful bootup: http://forum.techinferno.com/apple-egpu-discussion/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html

Thanks!

I am not planning on using optimus.. just external monitor. so I just follow step one only?

Also, do i need to install windows again or just use previously boot camp installed windows and just apply the change.

Thanks a million!

1. On Yosemite, when I run the script thats on sticky post, it recognises card and installs the driver. When I reboot, computer recognise the GTX970 attached but somehow it acts as monitor is not attached on this card. So external display doesnt work. monitor says no signal.

Which monitor is it and how is it connected? Can you use another connection?

Which monitor is it and how is it connected? Can you use another connection?

External Monitor is made by BenQ 24 inch

It is connected by dvi cable from gtx970s dvi port. Because gfxcard has 2 dvi ports i tried both.

Thanks!

That is strange… maybe 5k iMac is sth special?!

Can you test with another monitor? Maybe a TV on HDMI?

I will try it!

Also, I found out certain way so I can boot to windows without getting "ACPI BIOS ERROR".

1. Make sure power of AkiTio box and power supply are off.

2. Turn iMac on.

3. Hold Option/Alt key to get to boot menu

4. Power AkiTio box and power supply on

5. Wait at least 1 min or longer.... (Yes! Annoying)

6. Choose Windows

I mean for time being I guess I will have to live with this method until someone finds better resolution.

Thanks a million!

Thanks!!!

4K or 5K iMacs are not confirmed to give external screen output. That’s huge amount of pixels for the eGPU to span. However, what you can still try:

- sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a and reboot

- turn on/off "Displays have separate spaces" under Mission Control

- sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -clpeak (if passes the test, the only issue is eGPU display)

In order to overcome “ACPI BIOS ERROR” on Windows 10, boot into OS X, turn on script [-a] mode, select BOOTCAMP startup disk under system preferences, and reboot. When you repeat these steps, it should give approximately 9/10 successful boots into Windows.

- sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -a and reboot

- turn on/off "Displays have separate spaces" under Mission Control

- sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -clpeak (if passes the test, the only issue is eGPU display)

Both methods didn't work.......

sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -clpeak : Passed all the tests

I tried 2 different monitors using vga, hdmi, dvi, and none of them work.

I guess imac 5k 2015 is no go.......

Thanks a million!

• Thumbs Up 1

Both methods didn't work.......

sudo ./automate-eGPU.sh -clpeak : Passed all the tests

I tried 2 different monitors using vga, hdmi, dvi, and none of them work.

I guess imac 5k 2015 is no go.......

Thanks a million!

Maybe you could try on OS X 10.11 if Metal is supported?

http://forum.techinferno.com/apple-egpu-discussion/10289-script-automating-installation-egpu-os-x-inc-display-output-28.html#post147388

According to my testing, internal screen acceleration within application is possible without using an external monitor, but the problem is that OS X selects a GPU which outputs the main screen for the app. You can still use your eGPU for CUDA and OpenCL tasks, possibly Metal as well. Adobe apps are worth to try.

Maybe you could try on OS X 10.11 if Metal is supported?

It would be great!

post-39636-14495000931133_thumb.jpg

Okay, cleaned up some cables...... did barrel plug mod.... runs great on Windows 10 except booting issues.

Is there anyone who doesn't have "ACPI BIOS ERROR"? Anyone know why this error happens?

Thanks a MILLION!

It would be great!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16275[/ATTACH]

Okay, cleaned up some cables...... did barrel plug mod.... runs great on Windows 10 except booting issues.

Is there anyone who doesn't have "ACPI BIOS ERROR"? Anyone know why this error happens?

Thanks a MILLION!

Have you tried the fix at http://forum.techinferno.com/apple-egpu-discussion/8558-%5Bguide%5D-macbook-enabling-optimus-internal-lcd-mode.html that sets apple_set_os UEFI variable?

Ignore the title of the thread as what your endeavouring to do there is have the Apple UEFI firmware configure the eGPU hardware as if it's booting OSX rather than Windows. A necessary workaround for several Macbook owners to getting successful boots. It's something to then test on your imac 5k.

Monitors connected to the eGPU will just work as an additonal monitor.

Apologies for the noob question, I'm new here... Is it possible to set the eGPU monitor as the primary monitor in OS X?

Would that allow Diablo 3 to run full screen on the eGPU monitor?

I'm wondering the same thing about WoW. If I can't run WoW full screen on the eGPU monitor then I probably won't bother with an eGPU. :(

Thanks for any information.

Apologies for the noob question, I'm new here... Is it possible to set the eGPU monitor as the primary monitor in OS X?

Would that allow Diablo 3 to run full screen on the eGPU monitor?

Yes! That works! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

In order to overcome “ACPI BIOS ERROR” on Windows 10, boot into OS X, turn on script [-a] mode, select BOOTCAMP startup disk under system preferences, and reboot. When you repeat these steps, it should give approximately 9/10 successful boots into Windows.

Since I won't be using eGPU on OSX, is there anyway to turn -a mode on without installing the script itself as I do not need to modify kext files and install nvidia drivers?

Also, Do i need to do this everytime I log in to windows or just one time?

Thanks!

Since I won't be using eGPU on OSX, is there anyway to turn -a mode on without installing the script itself as I do not need to modify kext files and install nvidia drivers?

Also, Do i need to do this overtime I log in to windows or just one time?

Thanks!

The question is, did you get better success rate than 60%?

You can try also the following terminal command:

sudo nvram tbt-options=\<00\>

This is not persistent. You have to execute the command on OS X side before the next Windows boot.

The question is, did you get better success rate than 60%?

You can try also the following terminal command:

sudo nvram tbt-options=\<00\>

This is not persistent. You have to execute the command on OS X side before the next Windows boot.

I just can't give up OSX!

So, I am thinking, I cant get eGPU to work on OSX because maybe i didnt do something obvious!

Here is what I did!

1. Turn rootless off

2. booted osx

3. hot-plugged eGPU

4. Run the script which installed NVIDIA driver.

5. Reboot

6. run script with -a option.

7. reboot

Did I forget to do anything?

Thanks a million!

post-39636-14495001016523_thumb.jpg

You did everything right and eGPU is detected. The only issue is that your monitor is not detected on OS X.

Can you use both the internal and external screen extended on Windows? If you set the external as primary, launch the Valley benchmark windowed and move to 5K screen, is it still accelerated by the eGPU? Have you tried to hot-plug the eGPU?

The -a mode is only persistent on OS X with the aid of the background process. If you once boot into Windows, it’s not anymore.

You did everything right and eGPU is detected. The only issue is that your monitor is not detected on OS X.

Perhaps try plugging your external monitor into a different port on the back of your eGPU video card? Unlike Windows, it could be the web drivers for OS X don't enable all the ports in your 3rd party video card, and the monitor is plugged into one of those nonfunctional ports.

Good luck with it.