Y510p restoring GPU bios or replacing defective GPU

drschwabe

Hi there, the Nvidia GPU in my Y510p appears to be defective.

No matter how I try to invoke the NVIDIA GPU (tried both Windows and Ubuntu) whenever the system switches over there things crash or fail to boot. It refuses to switch over to using the NVIDIA GPU.

Anyway, I'd like to try flashing the original GPU / VBIOS. But I can only find VBIOS downloads for the SLI version. I have a single 750m.

Or if you have other tips or suggestions to try, I would be appreciative.

The other thing I'm wondering about is replacing the GPU altogether - is it a single chip on the motherboard? Would I need to find an all new motherboard, or can you find the GPU chips separately?

I believe you can find the gpu's separately on places like amazon but it is pretty hard at the moment. My suggestion in your case would be to contact lenovo or the shop you bought it from if you have any warranty left. Warranty is our best friend in scenarios like this. Also you could try to find the original vbios for the gt750m(easily found on forums, google) and just flash that and see if it works. If it works then you're all set, I doubt it's defective hardware as these have problems sometimes but you never know. Let's hope for the best and do post back if the flashing doesn't work for some reason.

Hey @Mizz thanks for the tips!

One problem, it does not seem so easy to find the original VBIOS for this card. I can find the one for SLI but not for single 750m .

For example, svl7 posts this vBios mod but it's for the ultra bay / SLI only:

http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/4668-lenovo-y410p-y510p-unlocked-bios-wlan-whitelist-mod-vbios-mod.html#post65200

Lenovo makes a new vbios available but again I assume this is just for SLI:

NVIDIA GeForce GT750M Second VGA BIOS Update for Windows 8.1 (64-bit) - IdeaPad Y410p, Y510p - Lenovo Support (US)

And it looks like I'm not the only one who's looking for the original vbios for this chip:

looking for official BIOS v1.09 or 1.10 for y510p with 750m GPU

If someone has a Y510p with single 750M and stock vbios, could you do a big favor by using GPUz to extract it and then upload/make available for download here. Thanks !

Ok, no luck with nvflash (v5.136). I booted into DOS and tried doing "nvflash -b" to backup the existing rom but got ..

Identifyling EEPROM...

EEPROM ID (20,00FF) : Unknown

ERROR: Supported EEPROM not found

How to get around this? Running "nvflash MYROM.ROM" returns "Checking for matches between display..." and shows my GT 750 M but then returns to the command prompt instantly without doing anything.

Or maybe if it is a hardware issue this EEPROM issue would be a clue?

Or could a previously corrupted vbios cause this?

vbios for primary GPU is already inside BIOS no need to flash it separately. Anyway it is the same vbios like ultrabay GPU. Try to reflash BIOS via DOS method. If that does not help then your primary GPU is probably screwed so you will have to replace whole motherboard.

Hey, I want to go back to default bios and vbios. I instelld original BIOS from Lenovosite but NVInspector still says that both cards has modified vbos. I don't understan it because first card vbios should be in the BIOS or I am wrong? What to do? I have Second card original copy but if I flash only this I get blurry picture.

Hey, I want to go back to default bios and vbios. I instelld original BIOS from Lenovosite but NVInspector still says that both cards has modified vbos. I don't understan it because first card vbios should be in the BIOS or I am wrong? What to do? I have Second card original copy but if I flash only this I get blurry picture.

NVinspector will report primary card with modified VBIOS every time SLI is enabled i guess. When you enable SLI, primary video card is loaded with different VBIOS thats able to handle SLI, making computer think its a single card but boosted with secondary gpu. Sort of like making some modification to DNA, unlocking some abilities while keeping host stable. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Your Ultrabay GPU may be broken. I suggest you to use your warranty if you still have it. If not, try to bring laptop to some local computer shop, I mean proper one, where they can diagnose your laptop.

NVinspector will report primary card with modified VBIOS every time SLI is enabled i guess. When you enable SLI, primary video card is loaded with different VBIOS thats able to handle SLI, making computer think its a single card but boosted with secondary gpu. Sort of like making some modification to DNA, unlocking some abilities while keeping host stable. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

Your Ultrabay GPU may be broken. I suggest you to use your warranty if you still have it. If not, try to bring laptop to some local computer shop, I mean proper one, where they can diagnose your laptop.

Thank you for your answer. My secondary card in SLI is working properly now and I flashed the original vbios. But now the integrated still shows modified but weird thing is that clocks are all default and can't go higher than 135 on both cards. Like the integrated is not modified but shows that it is.